"The Master Server is having issues again!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would have to forward your ports anyway if you want to host on the Master Server or privately through offline.

Master Server has been down since 5/18

Hey, the master server has been down since 5/18 and I haven't seen any word or mention of what is going on, would love to know.

There was a hacker going onto servers and stealing the hosts IPs, that's most likely the reason the master server has been offline for 3 days.

EDIT: I fucking stand corrected.

Last edited:
Or, you know, you could read the very first post which outlines exactly why the MS has problems, instead of making wild (and incorrect) guesses...

Oh, really? I thought you all were aware of that hacker, this is what I get for not looking at the first post instead of assuming somewhat trivial shit but I was rushed so I didn't have time, and that was probably a bad excuse but it's true though. I'm not the kind of rushing people, but when do we expect the MS to be back up?

Is there any way to create a link to the master server where this link hosts multiple IPs to the server?
Such as the League of Legends server.
With multiple IPs the possibility of hacking would be lower.

I very much doubt the MS was "hacked", that term is flung about a lot with very little understanding of what it actually means.

In any case please don't speculate on why the MS is down. Those kind of guesses cause unnecessary panic when, for all you know, the MS could be just manually shut down for repairs or because it's just broken.

I don't know why it's down either, that said. Perhaps I'll let you guys know if I find out?

Last edited:
Sigh, as server administrator, I had shutdown the masterserver due to some DUMBASS that was watching the listing and sending "invalid" doomcom packets to crash the hoster, until an update comes down to address this, no server listings.

Sent from my A0001 using ********

But, I heard from a friend that you still can making server with hamachi/or something similar..

the masterserver does 2 jobs, to make a server list of public games, and do a version check

you can use Hamchi to host a "private LAN" on the Internet

I've been playing IP games with a couple friends, I set up a discord server for SRB2 games as well, not sure if I'm allowed to link it here or not?

犬夜叉;792857 said:
Or, you know, you could read the very first post which outlines exactly why the MS has problems, instead of making wild (and incorrect) guesses...

Sigh, as server administrator, I had shutdown the masterserver due to some DUMBASS that was watching the listing and sending "invalid" doomcom packets to crash the hoster, until an update comes down to address this, no server listings.

I know we're trying to avoid people going around pancking and assuming wrong things (like for example that anything but one's hosting experience can be influenced negatively by what's happening), but flat out lying to us isn't the solution. Alam handled it pretty fine by just telling us that the MS is down simply to prevent more crashes, nothing more.
Nobody mentioned anything about the MS itself being "hacked", MI.

I know we're trying to avoid people going around pancking and assuming wrong things (like for example that anything but one's hosting experience can be influenced negatively by what's happening), but flat out lying to us isn't the solution. Alam handled it pretty fine by just telling us that the MS is down simply to prevent more crashes, nothing more.
Nobody mentioned anything about the MS itself being "hacked", MI.

Ah, I must have misread then. Not really a fan of speculating in any case.

I wouldn't accuse Inu of lying though, he may not have known the MS was down for that reason.

I was going to highlight the word "incorrect" in his post, but forgot to; that would've made it a bit easier to see what I mean. That made the post sound like he was pretty certain about what he said.

I just found it hard to believe he could really be clueless about the issue (given his role) after being told the real reason myself by quite a few members of the community before his post was even written. And after a patch supposedly made to fix the issue with hosting.

I just found it hard to believe he could really be clueless about the issue (given his role) after being told the real reason myself by quite a few members of the community before his post was even written. And after a patch supposedly made to fix the issue with hosting.

Oh, it is easy; I have bedridden for a while and had not told anyone about this. There so much you can via a phone.

Yeah, I was going to say, Alam hadn't actually informed us that he shut down the master server. I learned about it the same way you all did, by reading his post here.

The default position when the MS goes down is "well, something broke internally again" because that happens. A lot. What has never happened, to the best of my knowledge, is the MS ever getting hacked. Any historical exploit that hurts SRB2 has not been a result of someone hacking the MS directly, so the idea that the MS went down because of the SRB2 exploit to us is silly without someone actually saying "Oh hey I'm taking this down."

So yes, Inu was wrong here, but I wouldn't insinuate that he was being dishonest, unfair, or unreasonable. The MS going down is a very normal, if infrequent, occurance and I don't think it's fair to fault him for presuming that what happened to it is what always happens to it, especially when the relevant information was only in the hands of one person, the person who actually shut it down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back