SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2018   #1
the1999kid
Default If you could meet your favorite idol(s) (living or dead) who would it be?

It would be Michael Jackson
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #2
toaster
トースタちゃん

Huh? I didn't think it'd be Michael Jackson, but if you insist...
Old 01-17-2018   #3
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Don't really have one of these "idol" things in the first place. Though that said, there's a long list of (usually famous) people that it'd be cool to meet.

So long I don't think I can put it here. =P

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #4
the1999kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Huh? I didn't think it'd be Michael Jackson, but if you insist...
Why do you say that?

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
Don't really have one of these "idol" things in the first place. Though that said, there's a long list of (usually famous) people that it'd be cool to meet.

So long I don't think I can put it here. =P
Are you sure?
the1999kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #5
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

To be honest, I idolize a lot of people in this community for being cool people, and I hope to meet them someday!

hubjim
Boinciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #6
Lach
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinciel View Post
To be honest, I idolize a lot of people in this community for being cool people, and I hope to meet them someday!
Same, actually! I'd kill for an SRB2 convention, though obviously we can only dream.

Otherwise I really want to meet the leaders of my favorite bands, Johnny Manchild of Johnny Manchild and the Poor Bastards, and Matthew Murphy of the Wombats. I recently had to miss the Wombats when they were touring in my area which is unfortunate, but hey I'm sure I'll get another chance when I'm older.
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #7
Yoshirocks90
Wants to make maps again

I idolize pretty much all of SRB2's developers. Over the two years I've played it, it's easily my favorite game. And being an upcoming programmer/game designer, I would love to meet the developers of my favorite game.

Quote:
Same, actually! I'd kill for an SRB2 convention, though obviously we can only dream
I would love if this were possible.
Yoshirocks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #8
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

I travel a lot. But, I can only meet you if I know where you are. :)
Old 01-18-2018   #9
CancerChris
Ya Boi

Default Childish Gambino - Donald Glover

I'd want to meet Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino.

He's the definition of a jack of all trades and master of all. Everything that he's had his hand in, he's been amazing at. Director, Actor, Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, Musician in general, Comedian. He has his hand in every pie possible, and every industry he touches is immediately better. He's amazing, and is probably the closest thing to an "idol" that I have.

Seriously, look up some of his stuff, his musical range is amazingly expansive, and his show "Atlanta" is a fantastic watch.

Wus poppin'?
CancerChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018   #10
Boinciel
ヒトデパンと奇妙なジャム
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails View Post
I travel a lot. But, I can only meet you if I know where you are. :)
If you're ever in Tokyo, hit me up! Anyone else who's visiting is welcome to say hi as well!

hubjim
Boinciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018   #11
Lach
hop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinciel View Post
If you're ever in Tokyo, hit me up! Anyone else who's visiting is welcome to say hi as well!
*Discord flashbacks*

Spoiler:
Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018   #12
Steelie
hakuna matata... wait what?

I generally idolize people I already met. From friends to even cool teachers. But in terms of celebrities? I'd probably pick Mark Hamill. He has a good case of sense of humour, is an overall cool old guy and not to mention, Luke freaking Skywalker!

My suckish channel for SRB2 (and cats).
Steelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018   #13
Daira
tiny pony

There is a holy essay from Bible “You shall not make for yourself an idol”. When I was from 12 till 15 I was mad about famous musicians but now only some film directors or talent writers could touch me. But I can’t say that they could be “idols” for me
Old 03-07-2018   #14
MrBreada

I have no idol, but I would love to meet Mystic. He's seasoned in the ways of the Internet
Old 03-09-2018   #15
TheGuyThatDrawsThings
I'M THE TRASHMAN. #EATTRASH

Louis Le Prince.

...if he even survived his train where he disappeared, anyway.
Old 03-16-2018   #16
Fizz

definitely would have to be Allan Holdsworth
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018   #17
Potatosack
funyn menme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daira View Post
There is a holy essay from Bible “You shall not make for yourself an idol”. When I was from 12 till 15 I was mad about famous musicians but now only some film directors or talent writers could touch me. But I can’t say that they could be “idols” for me
You misread it, lol.

It doesn't mean idol as in "literal object of worship," idol refers to someone you look up to. You know, a role model?
I don't think I've ever thought about who I idolize, so this is a tough one for me to answer. I'll pass :^(
Old 03-20-2018   #18
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatosack View Post
It doesn't mean idol as in "literal object of worship," idol refers to someone you look up to. You know, a role model?
I don't think there was necessarily anything being misread, I think some people actually take that bible passage to include that kind of "idol" too.

Not to mention they're kind of similar in concept anyway, it's no wonder the term is used for both worshipped objects and people you look up to, right?

---

To add to what I said in my last post, while I'm here, maybe I'll elaborate why I don't tend to "idolise" people...

I don't like placing too high expectations of people. If you raise someone up too high and they then do something that is in your view stupid or even bad, then (unless you deny, ignore, forget or are unaware of these things) you may feel extreme dissappointment and perhaps shame of yourself for holding such unrealistic standards in the first place. I certainly don't want to risk feeling like that at least; but then, maybe that's because I'm a cautious person.

That, and, from the other end, if I were treated as an "idol" by other people... would I feel like a real person? Or instead some kind of amazing space alien that nobody actually knows personally? Often this seems to imply one is on some kind of literal pedestal above everyone else in any case, while not really interacting with those "nobodies" down below. That sounds kind of sad, I would much rather get off that pedestal and talk to people on a normal level if I could, I don't get enough of that as it is. =P

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018   #19
The Sin Heartless
???

I would want to meet the philosophers of the past. Hearing the teachings and different ideals they have could help guide me to the life of happiness. Of course then I would start feeling three times older than my actual age, but that's a small price to pay.
Old 04-20-2018   #20
fevermario

There is a whole bunch of people from many different time periods that I would like to meet.

George Washington, John Adams, Plato, Homer [No not Homer Simpson! The other Homer] Galileo Galilei, Arthur Conan Doyle, John F. Kennedy, Bram Stoker, Clint Eastwood, Mark Hamill, Mary Shelley, Mark Twain, Abraham Lincoln, Neil Armstrong, Nikola Tesla, Tommy Tallarico, Stephen Hillenburg, Butch Hartman.

And that's just a few of them, if I tried to name ALL of them I would be typing all night long.