Why does everyone hate Sonic Heroes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally liked SH and I have been wondering why everyone complains about it. The game kept me occupied for two months, and not many games do that for me. I usually just finish the regular story and not go for very many time consuming unlockables. I was just wondering what was so bad about the game (don't include voices, voice acting, or character lines as a reason, I know THOSE are bad).

The fact most every 3D Sonic game afterward has been worse than it, thus making it the marker of "the beginning of the end".

Horrible voice acting from some of the characters (Tails, for example).

Awkward lines ("We kicked your ass BECAUSE WE'RE SONIC HEROES, lulz").

Horrible turning (nowhere NEAR as smooth as, most platform games).

Moves that require forward momentum, that will consequently be performed off cliffs.

Really asinine Special Stage requirements (get this key in the middle of the level before a really hard segment, then don't get hit at ALL for the whole remainder and you're in the clear!)

Forced to play more or less the exact same game four times to see the ending (I can respect the whole "Sonic is normal, Dark is Hard and Rose is Easy" aspect, but if you designed them as difficulty selections, then why are they all mandatory?)

Needlessly brought back Shadow, whose death was particularly heartfelt and meaningful, but now is completely pointless.

Brought the whole "bottomless-pit-fever" phenomenon to new heights - NOT a good thing.

Poorly thought-out team system (rotating team members is clumsier than it should be for a fast-paced action game), which relies on a large variety of actions being jammed onto the same button (which didn't work so well in Adventure 2, and is only getting worse with each new game).

I can probably think of more, but I'm too lazy by this point.

On the plus side, the music was excellent.

Alot of people moan about the special stages being impossible.

I've completed them all on Xbox, GC and PS2 in less than 10 secs each. (so all of those wingers are just unskilled)

Two words: *** music.
Also I found Team Sonic's stages way harder than Team Dark's.

Shadow Hog said:
The fact most every 3D Sonic game afterward has been worse than it, thus making it the marker of "the beginning of the end".

Horrible voice acting from some of the characters (Tails, for example).

Awkward lines ("We kicked your ass BECAUSE WE'RE SONIC HEROES, lulz").

Horrible turning (nowhere NEAR as smooth as, most platform games).

Moves that require forward momentum, that will consequently be performed off cliffs.

Really asinine Special Stage requirements (get this key in the middle of the level before a really hard segment, then don't get hit at ALL for the whole remainder and you're in the clear!)

Forced to play more or less the exact same game four times to see the ending (I can respect the whole "Sonic is normal, Dark is Hard and Rose is Easy" aspect, but if you designed them as difficulty selections, then why are they all mandatory?)

Needlessly brought back Shadow, whose death was particularly heartfelt and meaningful, but now is completely pointless.

Brought the whole "bottomless-pit-fever" phenomenon to new heights - NOT a good thing.

Poorly thought-out team system (rotating team members is clumsier than it should be for a fast-paced action game), which relies on a large variety of actions being jammed onto the same button (which didn't work so well in Adventure 2, and is only getting worse with each new game).

I can probably think of more, but I'm too lazy by this point.

On the plus side, the music was excellent.

That pretty much sums up Sonic Heroes. That and the fact that it's incredibly boring. AND THE SAME FREAKIN THING! 'Cept maybe SLIGHTLY harder/easier depending on which team.

I loved Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and I am HOPING the next gen game delivers what it promises.

Also, it had no chao to play with ...and abuse...

Meh, I thought it was better than SA 1 & 2. ::killed:: Yet it is very faulty at the same time. I don't care how fast you make Sonic run, all I care is if I can control that speed. SA 1 & 2 and Sonic Heroes have tons of parts making Sonic look "oh, so fast" yet all I do is watch the stupid game do most of it for me. Take the "legendary" whale chase in Emerald Coast Zone. If you touch the spin pad and press down, you are good to go. No challenge. Almost no control. Go and look at the control you are given in StH 1 - Sth 3 & K and SRB2. Control is what makes me play video games. If I have no control, I might as well go watch some crumby action film at the theaters.

Com said:
Meh, I thought it was better than SA 1 & 2. ::killed:: Yet it is very faulty at the same time. I don't care how fast you make Sonic run, all I care is if I can control that speed. SA 1 & 2 and Sonic Heroes have tons of parts making Sonic look "oh, so fast" yet all I do is watch the stupid game do most of it for me. Take the "legendary" whale chase in Emerald Coast Zone. If you touch the spin pad and press down, you are good to go. No challenge. Almost no control. Go and look at the control you are given in StH 1 - Sth 3 & K and SRB2. Control is what makes me play video games. If I have no control, I might as well go watch some crumby action film at the theaters.

Sonic heroes basicly gave you the entire game. No challnge ATALL in that game. Atleast in sonic adventure 1 and 2 it was quite a bit harder and required SOME brains...

SA 1 & 2 only needed brains for the lame and rather boring hunting and fishing stages. (And even then it seemed more like luck than brains).

Thats what I liked about the adventure fields in SADX/SA1. Although they were small, at least you had all the freedom there is. Yes, I love speed, although I hate it when you lose it because of 1 dumb action. I don't wanna be forced to not jump because it makes you lose all your speed. Main problem I've seen in nearly all Sonic games. Why put a stupid rock at places where you could go superfast? Yea, lol, jump! But that makes you lose speed too. Then what am I supposed to do?

SADX and SA2 had both a wonderfull action....spindash-run. You could charge your spindash even while running, and when you would nearly go slow, you can release the button to shoot off at superspeed. You can press the button while spindashing to running again. You can repeat for even more speed. I wish this action was in the 2D games. But no, you have to charge standing, wich takes ages. Finally when you're off, you probably hit a rock or something after a second, or you have to jump again. Yes, you can spindash while running, but you can't stand up again, neither does it make you fast.

Now back on-topic. SH has bad voices, really bad level design, cheap hold-ups, and they forced you to be in teams. I wanna be alone! Also, the control in those special stages were as bad as the Sonic 2 special stages. Guys, try spying on SRB2's special stages. At least those are fun! And the thok has a decent speed!

Super mystic sonic said:
They're the same principe. Collect rings (in SH, speed baloons), avoid bombs, and you run in the same weird round glass(?) path.

You don't play with 3 people in Sonic 2.

Super mystic sonic said:
But standard is 2. Good ol' main player Sonic, and badass Tails that steals all your rings and loses them later to bombs!

XD, true. But he is more helpful in the main game.

GCFreak said:
Super mystic sonic said:
But standard is 2. Good ol' main player Sonic, and badass Tails that steals all your rings and loses them later to bombs!

XD, true. But he is more helpful in the main game.

He picked me up in a ROM hack of Sonic 2, and let me fall in poisson water! Damn you, Tails!

Lol, thank you tails. Anyways, back on topic. I reckon I don't like Team Chaotix' story, it's not as fast as the others.

GCFreak said:
Lol, thank you tails. Anyways, back on topic. I reckon I don't like Team Chaotix' story, it's not as fast as the others.

Worse. It takes too much time to complete all those useless missions. Isn't a Sonic game about speed? Puzzles seem to ruin Sonic games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back