Tropical Palace Zone Match/Tag map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperknux

The board's UK Ecologist
This is a level I've been working for a little while, whilst I had a problem on the gametype making it go into SA mode when I didn't want it to >.<, I found out it was my srb2 being weird, but thanks Pepe for trying to help me solve my problem in editing help ;)

Anyways now back for what I'm here to show you lot, my new map, here's the screenies.

The player 1 start posistion.

Some big screnery

A tiny underground part of the level.

A part of the tropical area.

This is MAP99 (Meadow Match) I had fun making this wad. I hope you guys will do :). The only change I did was move a few scenery items in this one compared to the editing help one I think.

Enjoy.

Download link.

http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/download.php?file=c6f23445383b685693b02b054170a94f

My only complaint was the overall blandness of the outside barrier of the water. Lots and lots of leaves = yuck.

Maybe try adding some variety to the barrier, such as cliffs with vines, and other such stuff.

A quick run in single player revealed a map with some potential, but many flaws.

The map really just felt too sectioned off. The only way to get up high was the red springs, which could easily send you up to thetop when spamming water physics. And then you've got a tunnel that's just off to the side where nobody would find it. And thesand temple parts felt really useless, due to the fact that you had to pretty much stop in order to jump down there. And right where nobody expects it, PIT! The rocky mounds felt more like obstacles, because climbing them didn't have any real advantage, because youprettymuch had to stop inorderto even think about going up there.

Also, eww, Chaotic Darkness rips. D:

BlueZero4 said:
A quick run in single player revealed a map with some potential, but many flaws.

The map really just felt too sectioned off. The only way to get up high was the red springs, which could easily send you up to thetop when spamming water physics. And then you've got a tunnel that's just off to the side where nobody would find it. And thesand temple parts felt really useless, due to the fact that you had to pretty much stop in order to jump down there. And right where nobody expects it, PIT! The rocky mounds felt more like obstacles, because climbing them didn't have any real advantage, because youprettymuch had to stop inorderto even think about going up there.

Also, eww, Chaotic Darkness rips. D:

Actually BZ4, I found my texture myself, not on Chaotic Darkness, I don't have the mod. And I wouldn't steal anything at all, I'm not that kind of guy D:

The sand temples we're little features to add to the level, it would be pretty crap without features. I'm keeping them in this release for now.

The Water physics I don't know why, I'm trying to find out how to fix those.

The rocky thingymajigs we're to climb and jump on.

Jazz: I suppose I could remove a few leaves, and add a few vines, and cliffs vice versa to make it more of a tropical environment =P, oh yeah one more thing, what do you mean by variety of the barrier?, just asking.

By the barrier, I mean the outside wall (thok barrier) of your level. And, what you stated in your post above is a good way to improve it.

When BZ4 talks about water physics, he is talking about how if you hit a red spring and immediately steer yourself into the water, you fly a lot higher, since "gravity" is reduced (for lack of a better way of putting it,) when being propelled by a spring through water. Basically, you can propel yourself up several levels of the cliffs with only one red spring in this fashion.

To fix this, place your red springs far enough away from the waterfalls that players can't take advantage of these "water physics."

Ew, GIF quality plants. Find the sprites online, and use PNG instead of GIF, much better quality even with SRB2's limited color pallet.

1. SRB2 uses bmp, not gif or png...

2. Due to the palette a simple image conversion causes low quality, it should be optimized for the palette.

3. What you are indicating is dithering, which looks terrible without several shades, and looks so anyways if overused.

To fix:

1. Convert sprites to SRB2 palette or plain 256 colors with NO dithering filter.

2. Using only colors from the palette go back over it and tidy it up by:

----A. Removing all aspects of dithering...

----B. Shading with colors from SRB2 palette...

----C. Make all lines smooth and take away and sharp peaks'n'canyons that make it look poor...

----D. Test and repeat...

;-)

JEV3 said:
1. SRB2 uses bmp, not gif or png...

2. Due to the palette a simple image conversion causes low quality, it should be optimized for the palette.

3. What you are indicating is dithering, which looks terrible without several shades, and looks so anyways if overused.

To fix:

1. Convert sprites to SRB2 palette or plain 256 colors with NO dithering filter.

2. Using only colors from the palette go back over it and tidy it up by:

----A. Removing all aspects of dithering...

----B. Shading with colors from SRB2 palette...

----C. Make all lines smooth and take away and sharp peaks'n'canyons that make it look poor...

----D. Test and repeat...

;-)

Is that so? but I always use GIF for the best quality, maybe that green doesn't fit with srb2's palette without editing a couple of things, and the stuff you said.

HYPERKNUX said:
Actually BZ4, I found my texture myself, not on Chaotic Darkness, I don't have the mod. And I wouldn't steal anything at all, I'm not that kind of guy D:
You know I'm talking about the sprite for the thingitem, right? Anywho, I realize he probably didn't make it, but likely ripped it from somewhere.

HYPERKNUX said:
The rocky thingymajigs we're to climb and jump on.
And, erm, I don't think they worked as intended. If you tested it in a netgame, I'm sure someone would've shot you while you were climbing on them. Match in SRB2 is still alot about speed, because being slow makes you vulnerable. Hence stopping to take advantage of a little mound to use as a perch to shoot people really doesn't do you any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back