Suggestions

Mouselook problem in v2.1.12:

I have problems using the mouselook in SRB2win.exe in Software mode my mouse goes left and right not up and down plus the left and right.
Please fix this error.

How about a variant of the v.drawFill function that fills an area with a tiled texture or patch instead of a solid color? Perhaps scale could be possible with it, too.

Add a "toggle bwtween Special Stage" options. I never played "Nights Into Dreams" so I can never get use to the new "Special Stages". I much prefer the older "Special Stages" in "Sonic Robo Blast 2".

The old special stages were merely placeholders. Think about how the special stages worked in the classic games, where they were always a dramatic gameplay change from the main game, often faking 3D and doing as much as possible to be different. The NiGHTS special stages are exactly along those lines, and while I've never played NiGHTS either, eventually I learned how to be good at them just like how it took practice to get good at the special stages in the classics. It's intentional that it takes an entirely different skill set to get good at the special stages.

The old special stages were merely placeholders. Think about how the special stages worked in the classic games, where they were always a dramatic gameplay change from the main game, often faking 3D and doing as much as possible to be different. The NiGHTS special stages are exactly along those lines, and while I've never played NiGHTS either, eventually I learned how to be good at them just like how it took practice to get good at the special stages in the classics. It's intentional that it takes an entirely different skill set to get good at the special stages.

Wow, that's actually pretty cool. I see where you're coming from. I can try to get used to the new "Special Stages".

I agree that the nights format is better special stage material, but I think the outright removal of the old ones is kind of a waste. Each character's method of traversing through the stages makes for an interesting timed map format, and I think it would be nice to see them return as a timed ring collect-a-thon bonus game, akin to Sonic 1 GG.

Funny you should mention that. I've spent a lot of time thinking about possibly adding bonus stages to SRB2 and have generally come to the conclusion that it's a bad idea unless we miraculously come up with some gimmick that's genuinely interesting as its own thing.

The main reason is that we don't do in-stage interruption with our special and bonus stages, and that's something I'd really prefer to keep as I think the old interrupting stages thing from S2 and S3K was a detriment to the flow of the game. While special stages have a clear reward that's relevant outside of the special stage, the bonus stages in S3K really didn't. Since we aren't going to use the bonus stage to provide shields or rings that carry back over to the stage you were in, then there's very little relevant to reward the player with. Extra lives? Continues? Most players have little need for such things. While you could go really meta and grant emblems, then there's only motivation to do the bonus stages once and never again.

Hence, any bonus stage design we'd want to implement would have to be a hell of a lot more interesting than our old "rings in a box" special stage design, which only worked because we used them to gate something players actively wanted. When the bonus stages are really only rewarding the fun of playing them, just grabbing rings seems rather mundane.

Another question. How can I unlock the level select? I don't want to go on the wiki of fear of getting spoiled. I remember back back in the olden days I had to beat the game (I never unlocked it though).

I think you just beat the game with all emeralds.

However, beating the game without the emeralds also gives you a level select, but it's only for the file that you beat the game as.

Considering you can just start a multiplayer game on any stage with only one player in the first place, I don't know why we even need a level select.

--unless you want to use analog control, I guess. Why have we still not fixed that for multiplayer?

I'm pretty sure analog works in multiplayer now.

As for the level select, it is even easier to just force the map from the console, so yeah, pretty useless.

Considering you can just start a multiplayer game on any stage with only one player in the first place, I don't know why we even need a level select.

--unless you want to use analog control, I guess. Why have we still not fixed that for multiplayer?

Analog controls actually work in multiplayer now.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back