Zoom tube error!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your zoom tube has two problems, as far as I can see. Halfway through constructing your zoom tube, you suddenly switched sequences. The first few waypoints are Sequence 1, but all subsequent waypoints are Sequence 2. This would cause issues on its own, but to make matters worse you pointed your Zoom Tube Parameters linedef to Sequence 2, not Sequence 1. The Zoom Tube isn't sending you in a random direction; it's sending you to the beginning of the second sequence, halfway along the tube.

To fix this, you need to do two things. First, specify only the first sequence in your waypoints. Second, give the Zoom Tube Parameters linedef a y-length of 0.

You haven't got a Thok Barrier, either. Personally, I always make my thok barrier first, create the level inside it, and expand and shrink it as necessary.

Last edited:
You mean you don't know about waypoint sequences? All right, here's my explanation:

There is exactly one waypoint sequence per Zoom Tube. The sequence is a string of Zoom Tube Waypoints that begins with a multiple of 256 (that is, 0, 256, 512, 768, 1024...), and increases by one for each number in the sequence. These numbers are specified in the angle values of the Zoom Tube Waypoint Things. For instance, if a waypoint has an angle of 0, that means it's the first waypoint of the first sequence. If a waypoint has an angle of 2, that means it's the third waypoint of the first sequence. If a waypoint has an angle of 512, that means it's the first waypoint of the third sequence. If a waypoint has an angle of 514, that means it's the third waypoint of the third sequence.

If you're still confused, look at it as a math lesson. In algebraic terms, the formula for finding the angle value x of a waypoint with number n and belonging to sequence s is as follows:

x = 256(s - 1) + n - 1

This formula can be used to find the appropriate angle value for any waypoint. For example, let's say you wanted to know what angle value to give to the fourth waypoint in the fifth sequence. You want to know what x is, and you know that n = 4 and s = 5. You can plug those into the equation.

x = 256((5) - 1) + (4) - 1
x = 256(4) + 3
x = 1024 + 3
x = 1027

Therefore, you would give the waypoint an angle of 1027.

What do you mean, you "stop"? If the Zoom Tube is traveling upwards, did you remember to give the waypoint at the top a Z-offset?

Wait...you have 61 zoom tube waypoints now?

I repeat: Did you remember to give 61 the right z-offset?

Zoom Tube 2 should belong to Sequence 2. Make sure the waypoints are in that sequence, and also make sure to specify Sequence 2 in the associated Zoom Tube Parameters linedef. The y-distance of that linedef should be exactly 1 fracunit less than the sequence number, so in this case, it should have a y-distance of 1.

What is y? I can't do 1. It puts me on 0. I can do 2 though.
Y means up-and-down distance. X distance (side to side) adjusts the speed of the tube. Therefore, it can just be a diagonal linedef with an x-distance of the speed you want and a y-distance of 1...you shouldn't have to make the linedef so tiny that it gets autostitched out of existence.

However, in case you ever find yourself in a situation where that is necessary, there's a way around that, too. Just press Undo after the linedef vanishes, and it'll undo the autostitching, allowing you to make linedefs of length 1.

The control sector? Yeah, it would probably make the most sense for it to be a triangle, but as long as the controlling linedef has the right x- and y-lengths, the non-controlling linedefs can be whatever shape you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back