New User Asks Basic Editing Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again.

#1: In this test map, if you use Tails to fly above the height of the thok barrier, you can see that everything works as intended...except for where water FOFs border the barrier. There, tall sheets of the sky texture interrupt randomly. What's causing this?

#2: (Solved) In the same map, why does the water's sector brightness have different behaviour in my level compared to the official levels? (In normal SRB2, when you're immersed in water, the further you look in one direction the darker the water becomes. In my level the darkness is all uniform—which makes sense, but how do the official levels do it?)

#3: Again, in the same map, if you're immersed in the water when the crumbling, bobbing FOF lands in it, you can see the sector below the platform momentarily lose its darkness and colormap. Can this be fixed?

#4: (Answered) Where exactly do I find WADs of the official levels so that I can open them up in Doombuilder and see how they're made? This seems like such an obvious thing, but I can't seem to figure it out...

#5: (Answered) Pretty much completely unrelated: Since PolyObjects can't display flats, how do the horizontally moving platforms in ERZ1 work? (And, by extension, why can't the same technique be used for the platforms in ACZ?)

#6: In the same map, if you're standing on one of the bobbing platforms as it respawns, you teleport to the bottom of the sector. Can this be fixed?

This topic may-or-may-not be updated with further questions in the future (depending on how helpful the wiki is). It's less spammy than making a new topic for every new question that comes to mind...

Last edited:
For question #4

Isn't the official levels in the Zones.dta file? I'm pretty sure it should be there. Try and see if you can open it up in Doom Builder.

Edit: Yes it is that file I just checked. Make sure you copy Zones.dta because you dont want to mess up the file.

Last edited:
Trickery!!!

#5: Pretty much completely unrelated: Since PolyObjects can't display flats, how do the horizontally moving platforms in ERZ1 work? (And, by extension, why can't the same technique be used for the platforms in ACZ?)
That's actually not a PolyObject; it's just a ton of disappearing/reappearing FOFs with a conveyor belt property attached to it.

Oh. Oh, stupid me. Doom Builder only shows WAD files by default and says that only WAD files can be opened, and I took it at face value without actually checking if it could open anything else.

Theres an option to select all files instead of opening WAD files that what you needed to click on.

That's actually not a PolyObject; it's just a ton of disappearing/reappearing FOFs with a conveyor belt property attached to it.

Ah. So I guess it can't work with ACZ's platforms because those are activated when you stand on them, rather than running continuously?

Theres an option to select all files instead of opening WAD files that what you needed to click on.

Yeah, I figured that out now. Thanks.

New question:

#6: In the same map, if you're standing on one of the bobbing platforms as it respawns, you teleport to the bottom of the sector. Can this be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back