• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SCR_Stonepalace.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggmanfan

Hello everypony here, is my first wad in a long time (Almost 2 years) it's called stone palace

srb20078.png

It is a level based around exploration and platforming (Lots and lots of platforming). I made it alot more open then my other levels. It also has a knuckles only route ( He has to follow that one.) and several paths.

I am currently finished with knuckles route (I might extend it later) and a bit into the main route.

Okay here are the screenshots:
srb20028.png

A view point of the beggining area. Lots of crawlas and lots of rocks.

srb20027.png

another viewpoint from the bottom showing off the bridge

srb20026.png

A view of what at the end of the river

srb20025.png

And the other side

srb20024.png

The stone spiral.. Lots of climbing here...

srb20023.png

How high is this thing

srb20022.png

A view of the river with some sdurfs... try not to fall.

srb20021.png

Top of a mountain.. With a view of the beginning area...

srb20081.png

Climbing stone platforms

srb20080.png

Right before those platforms

srb20077.png

Knuckles' mini boss ( No it's not just a generic egg mobile... He's edited)

srb20075.png

A view of the battle field

srb20073.png

Another view (That lava is blocked off it's supposed to be a transition for act 2)

srb20071.png

Getting up close and personal with eggman

srb20070.png

Path to knuckles mini boss

srb20068.png

End of the route for one of knuckles paths...

srb20067.png

Stairway in knux path

srb20064.png

Springing over some spikes

srb20063.png

Level Notes:
This level doesn't work in multiplayer (Due to path issues)
It uses 2.1 moniter sprites (With homemade explosions credit to D00D64)
Eggmobile is edited (It is currently somewhat broken It will be fixed by release time)
It uses Rocky Mountains music and the generic boss theme.
Knux route is found right behind the start.
and the main route wasn't fully shown... But it doesn't have a full thok barrier yet( I didn't want any crappy shots).

alright that's all folks

More pics

srb20059.png

Looks dark in here good thing there is some holes in the cave

srb20056.png

The end of the cave.. Nothing real intresting here

srb20054.png

Looks like it's some more platforming... I don't think good can come out of that hole

srb20053.png

Hey look a split path

srb20051.png

Could these flames lead you somewhere

srb20049.png

Knux path starts here... there is usually a big bustable block in that hole up there

srb20048.png

Looks like a route to those flames

srb20047.png

I bring you FIRE!

srb20045.png

That glow looks bad... not just because fire is shooting out of it

srb20044.png

This area looks safe could it be... A trap?

srb20041.png

What could this nuke (Armagaden Shield don't get technical) be for? hmmmm?

srb20040.png

maybe those pop up turrents

srb20039.png

Lots of springs BOING!

srb20038.png

Random generic valley

srb20037.png

Lava falls, Rocks, and robo hoods what more could you ask for?

srb20036.png

That color map looks threating, too bad it isn't

srb20035.png

Platforming over lava isn't to hard. Luckily knux can glide

srb20034.png

Long, long hallway full of lava... man that would hurt to fall in

srb20031.png

On the other side. The begging of Knux's Route. (Note: there are platforms in that lava)

srb20030.png

Don't hurt me master crawla I'm sorry

Last edited:
Holy crap, do some parts of it look dark. I recognize that's kind of your gimmick, but it's a dumb one. And some rooms look very open and poorly textured (you need more variation).

Also, I don't see where the name comes from. Where's the palace?

I'm not completely done with sonic's route it's going to be at the end of the act, and the inside will be act 2. Yeah maybe it's too dark.. I will lighten it up to keep it at a gimmick level but not where it's insanely dark.

Well, if the palace isn't the main focus, it's probably not a good name for the level. Try to come up with a name that reflects a consistent element throughout the stage.

You mentioned it doesn't work in Multiplayer, but why is it listed as Single, Co-op & Race?

Wow...that level looks small. The textures look ugly in the stage too. Moar texture variation. That's all I can say about it.

This project isn't dead, I just haven't been working on it, I'm going to work on the texture varation, and make Knuckle's route less flat.

OK New pics time just a proof of conept here... also this is now a level pack... I don't have a name for it though...
srb20095.png

This place again... alrighty nothing changed here... don't notice the Sonic head on the grey ground.
srb20096.png

This is were I wouldn't show due to a missing Thok Barrier, but it's there now :D, and Knux can't access this area due to a FOF that appears when he's one the map (And in multiplayer crippling coop/race, I'm going to have to make a sperate version for coop/race).
srb20097.png

Just walking around the fence, nothing here, except rings and crawlas.
srb20098.png

BOING! The spring is somewhere in the fence area... and it launches you up to another spring, that's aim is a lil off
srb20099.png

It leads up here to a small C like path that leads to...
srb20101.png

A giant magic floating rock bridge, that breaks all laws of physics, except Sonic physics.
srb20103.png

Land bridge pic... and if you fall...
srb20102.png

You fall to find that you are surely.... back at the fence area
srb20100.png

Before the landbridge
srb20099.png

In the C shaped area
srb20104.png

Afterwards theres some good ol mountain climbing
srb20108.png

Which will lead us to a split route, where you can take the high (Not even started) route, or the lower route when the platform falls
srb20109.png

Oh my god, it's a secret 1-up (NOTE: The 1-up moniters don't use the 2.1 sprites yet)

Last edited:
Continued due to picture limitations:
srb20110.png

The Cave, A.k.A. the low route, also I got owned by a Crawla (Hardy Har har), anyway generic cave decor in the background, it still needs more decor, and I need to fix some textures, and fix some heights of objects, and FOFs that got messed up due to my computer being stupid with DB
srb20111.png

Generic bounce off Jetty-syns part, and springs if you miss
srb20112.png

This bridge's height got messed up, I forgot to fix it before shooting pics
srb20114.png

Fall and you have two choices, the River, or the magic floating falling platforms with red springs (The rest of the bridge route is unfinished)
The River takes you to a waterfall, then to another river, where you stop here and hit the spring.
srb20116.png

You get taken up by two springs where you can cath a glimpse at the other area. Now you move onto platforming.
And that's about all I have done with Sonic/Tails' route... I'm going to work on finishing it, and Reworking Knux so the gimmicks aren't as cheap and it isn't as flat

Zone 2: Blooming City Zone
Ok, so Blooming city is on my old computer and I still have to get it off (My mom took the old one, I was working on it before Stone Palace) anyway, lets move onto Zone 3

Zone 3: Greenish Hill Place
Act 1: Cheap Generic Green Hill like level
srb20119.png

So there's the begining, with the Thok Barrier fixed, you can see some rings and a lot of palmtrees :D
srb20120.png

Just a quick look at the starting area, with the Tiki-head and small palmtree
srb20121.png

Crawla's what more to expect then that
srb20122.png

^ ^That part looks it might of been from somewhere hmmm who knows what would be up there
srb20123.png

Platforming... In style
srb20124.png

Darn these Crawlas and their abilities to poke me while I'm taking pictures and ruin it.
srb20125.png

Oh cool water you can't acess... and a rock, with a texture not being what it's supposed to be...
srb20126.png

Another un accessable area, this time with a water fall, and those Stupid Dumb Unnamed Robo-Fish are just outta sight on this picture...
srb20127.png

Climb the rock to acess this area, where you can see lot's of water, crawlas, bridges, and running area, lots of room to stretch those hedgehog muscles
srb20128.png

Just an example of open space and running (This area is unfinished, I just started it a couple of hours ago)
srb20129.png

Sdurf's on the lower route... and a damaged bridge
srb20130.png

The upper route, mostly unfinished
srb20131.png

You can literally walk across these rocks, I might modify this to make it harder, anyway fall into the water and you fall to the most unfinished route, the lower one.

srb20133.png

Which has a slightly awkward looking colormap, and a few robo fish, other then that nothing, not even a air bubble patch, so good luck Mr. Sonic
srb20015.png

Except for maybe >:D... I bet most of you know what that is...

Anyway, I'll finish more later... but for now... Goodbye

Last edited:
Honestly, this looks generic at best, but judging by those screenshots, this is a cramped and complete mess. You shouldn't make a level pack when you don't even have one proper level finished, released, and improved to a decent standard of quality.

I went a little overboard on the decorations in Stone Palace, but the levels are more wide open and explorable then all the other ones I made. I am not trying to cram a bunch of levels at a time, I only have two currently being worked on. Also the GHZ one might look a little cramped due to me not being very good at taking screen shots.

I went a little overboard on the decorations in Stone Palace, but the levels are more wide open and explorable then all the other ones I made. I am not trying to cram a bunch of levels at a time, I only have two currently being worked on. Also the GHZ one might look a little cramped due to me not being very good at taking screen shots.

I do agree with Mystic though. I mean I once attempted to do the exact same thing. I was inexperienced and I tried to make a level pack. I ended up getting the same criticism from friends and others. I learned that, although the maps may look good to you, others might not think they're too good. I do suggest you gain more experience in map making before you attempt such a feat. A good level isn't created in a day. I, in fact, have actually started a level pack after...3 years of entering contests and such and I have been working on the first act for quite sometime now. I suggest you try entering in OLDC contests. Try learning some more, this way you may find what to make to appease players.

EDIT: Also you may want to use the 'spoilers' function to hide those pictures.

Last edited:
I have been working on act 1 of stone palace for about a month now, I was told it took them about 2 months to make GFZ, I know it may seem rushed, but I'm not in a big hurry to finish it, I'm just going to work as long as it takes for me to be able to fins it well done, then have a few people test it, then fix it up after that. If people think my levels are bad then I will rework them. I'm sure the Devs didn't directly only work with DSZ or THZ when they were being made, I just don't want to spend a couple months on one level without doing any others in between, I will not directly go and say, "I'm bored with this level let's put a goal post there and move on to the next." Anyway, I'm only going to be working on these 2 levels for right now, there has been level packs with only 2-3 zones in them (Acid Missle).

There fixed the pics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back