Chilly Chasm (r_chillychasm.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sphere

Developer
Sonic Team Junior
Since the last circuit division ever has passed, here's a silly map that was planned to be in the contest but didn't get finished in time.

You can blame FOFs that look glitchy on screenshots for the lack of images.

Attachments

• r_chillychasm.rar
    94.2 KB · Views: 863
  • srb20281.png
    srb20281.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 764
  • srb20285.png
    srb20285.png
    232.8 KB · Views: 685
Oh, the irony! This would have easily won the division, but it didn't make it in time because actual effort went into making it.

I give this map a 9/10 because I like the design and I like the layout. It is simple, but yet challenging.

As SpiritCrusher said, you did put great effort into it. Too bad you couldn't make it to the OLDC because it was the last Circuit division they'll enter.

I just played through a few rounds of this map online, and wow is it pretty. I absolutely adore the visuals for this map and how you have managed to make such a aesthetically pleasing ice level. Especially how the player goes through the large centre room 3 (or 4, if they fail to take the shortcut) times in one lap, that's a very nice touch.

I also quite like the shortcut accessed through taking the higher path, which was a nice detail that mixed up the normal routine of circuit mode. Although, I think you should have made the Tails/Knux only path a little more apparent as I only realized it was there after a few rounds on the map. Furthermore, the thick snow gimmick felt a little underdeveloped and could have been used a little more. But aside from those criticisms, this was thoroughly lovely. Damn shame it didn't make it into the OLDC.

Last edited:
Just a little earlier, I got a strange urge to play this level. I had played it once before, when it was first released, but never in an actual netgame. So, I hosted a game and KOTE, Whackjood and I played through it and oohed and aahed at it for a good 3 games.

You've really got something visual going on in here. The best way I can compare it is to a Thomas Kinkade painting. You portray the snowy, dimly lit chasm in such a sweet way that it almost gives you a warm feeling. A warm feeling in a cold map. Is that even possible? But really, the crystal clear frozen rivers, the green bushes thriving in the soft light, the flakes slowly falling from the above world. And oh, that above ground section! It was the perfect contrast to the place below. As simple as it was, it added some depth to the level, both literally and figuratively. Literally in that it added a wonderful vertical component to the map, and figuratively, that it showed just what and where the chasm was. As silly as it seems, a little background like that enhances the feel of a map so much more. It sets the stage.

Technically, the map plays tremendously well. The flow is easy to understand, straightforward, with very little catch points. The only time I ever made a mistake is when I tried to jump between platforms in the center area, making me miss a checkpoint. One thing that stuck out to me is how you reward the player for sticking to the higher ground. It's not necessarily an easy thing to do when you're in a rush, but it's rewarded in the end by the extra seconds shaved off your score when you get to jump over the hill that you would otherwise have to circuit around.
I never noticed the Knuckles shortcut when I played it alone, but in doing a bit of exploring and backtracking this time, I found it. It's quite hard to find. Whackjood thought that bad, but I sort of enjoy hard to find shortcuts. But then again, that's because I'm selfish and don't like other people knowing about my shortcuts! :p
Awesome enough, this is also a fair Tails map. We did a -forceskin 1 race, and even with all my strafe flying, I couldn't win. Jood won. D:<
I guess it's just the many turns that make it more fair in that respect.

Overall, this is a wonderful creation of yours. It surely would have won if it had been done in time for the OLDC. No regrets though, this is a beautiful creation, OLDC or not, and you don't need a golden usertitle to tell you that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back