[Open Assets] Classic.wad - Classic Momentum and Gameplay (mostly) In SRB2!

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

Rumia1

Backseat Developer
Do you like the classic Sonic quadrilogy? Do you think that the thok is a horrible gameplay mechanic that should never have been implemented into a Sonic fangame?
Do you want more control over your character? Do you just hate Sonic the Hedgehog in general? Well this may fix some of your problems!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Introducing Classic.WAD! Mainly a LUA script designed to change SRB2 to see what it would be like if Sonic Team Jr. had kept going in the classic direction in terms of gameplay with a pinch of bug fixes to boot!

Screenshots (because the MB's attachment system hates me Also WARNING: several large GIFs )

Here's a full list of what's been changed in the script:​
-The player now speeds up when running full speed down slopes.
--Except for Silver, because that would just be silly.

-Momentum is now conserved to an extent, without air drag to slow you back down!*
--Except Silver, because he's too slow and has a hard enough time running fast as is.
--You can change this behavior for your character by setting player.hasmomentum to false.

-Spindash changed to charge up like Sonic 2/3K/Mania, with new revving sound effects and fancy spindash animation to go with it!
--You can change your character's animations back to the default by setting player.classicanimations to false and as soon as I implement it, you will also be able to revert to the SRB2 spindash by setting a variable as well.

-Buffed glide acceleration.

-I've also implemented some variables to boost compatibility with custom characters and aim for this to be as compatible as possible with everything that comes out, mainly because I use this mod with everything but also for the sake of everyone else as well.
-setting player.specialspindash to true will disable the spindash animations for your character, this is for characters like Dirk who have a custom spindash animation or characters like Silver who use the PF_SPINDASH flag for something else.
-setting player.nowalkspring to true will restore the falling animation for your character.
-setting player.classicanimations to false will turn off all of the animation-related settings listed above to false.

-setting player.hasmomentum to false will disable the new slope physics and momentum. Silver has this disabled already because c'mon, he's already struggling to run as fast as he is!
-setting player.nocharge to true will disable the new spindash behavior for your character, in case you have something like Rosy's old peel out or Silver's psy charge.
-setting player.nospinfix to true will disable the new roll-when-landing fix for your character, so your character doesn't get stuck going in one direction.
-setting player.isclassic to false will disable everything that Classic.WAD adds EXCEPT for the spin fix.

-Removed MT_THOK spintrails. If your character has a custom spintrail, don't worry, it'll still show up!
--The same can not be said for revitems, though.

--The spindash's max speed has been nerfed slightly to the speed of the thok, while the minimum speed has been buffed to 25*FRACUNIT
(Putting this here because I can garuntee that people will read the full change log but not everybody will check the known bugs section)

-You can no longer charge a spindash during the race/competition count down.

-You can now land into a roll simply by holding down the spin button while landing rather than having to press the button after you've landed!
--Jumping out of a spin no longer locks your movement to the direction you were moving in before you jumped.

-Everyone has the same stats in all game types (except for Sonic's where, outside of co-op, his base speed has been boosted by 6*FRACUNIT because he's supposed to be the fastest thing alive), I've tried to keep the stats feeling as close to the classic quadrilogy as possible, barring Sonic 1. This can be modified freely using the variable defaultspeed.
--Honestly this was more of a suggestion than a rule because I wanted to see circuit make an honest to goodness return and be fun, but also because it fit within Sonic 3's competition mode's stat adjustments.

-Everyone now has the classic spring animations where you go into walking frames rather than falling frames.

-Everybody can go super in Co-op if you have all the emeralds and have 50 rings. (I'm sorry Mystic)

-I've attempted to remake the bot AI to more closely reflect how he behaves in the classic games, granted this is tricky to fully pull off, but I think you'll find Tails has a much easier time following Sonic than he did previously.

-I've added a console variable to turn on a very basic and buggy camera adjuster fittingly named camadjust, it defaults to off and if turned on adjusts cam_height if you're running up or down a slope to make it easier to see what's ahead of you.
--Due to the nature of the way this was programmed it also ends up changing the height when running up or down stairs which would be fine if the camera didn't jitter with the character, thus why I've turned it off by default. Give it a try anyway!

-Spinning on water no longer causes the player to skim it, sorry sc_heroes and sc_2006 (try jumping off the speed booster instead).

-Removed Sonic's Thok.

*Subject to change When It's Finished™.

Here's the differences between this and the actual classic games, and the list of known bugs:​
~~DIFFERENCES FROM THE ACTUAL GAMES~~​
-There is no air drag mechanic, this could change in the future as slopes become more and more common in map packs and more importantly vanilla, but I figured I'd keep the feature out so this actually has a reason to be used in vanilla maps.

-The spindash doesn't lose charge over time for ease of use due because I felt it would be better for people getting used to the new way to charge it on whatever control scheme they're using, and it also helps when you're trying to adjust your angle while charging up.

-Tails doesn't actually follow Sonic's inputs 1-1 with a 10 frame delay (adjusted for framerate differences) due to lack of knowledge on how to actually do that. I would love to implement this but for the time being this is as good as I could get it. Due to these differences....
--Tails will still jump lower than Sonic if Sonic doesn't do a full height jump.
--Tails will jump to get up to Sonic while he is running up stairs or a slope.

~~KNOWN BUGS~~​
-Ramp sectors act like slopes when you run down them, There's currently no way to fix the distinction between slopes and stairs right now until 2.2, unless someone has some magical workaround for this that I'm unaware of in which case please post this fix to the MB for everyone to use or at least PM me with it.
--The same thing happens with floors moving downward.

-If the player runs on ice and switches sectors, sometimes they will start accelerating towards infinity, I've done my best to fix this and it happens a lot less than it used to with characters like Shadow and Metal Sonic, but it still happens on certain maps.

-Dirk has issues when going above his normal speed when using his Ice Surf ability, so he sadly can not retain momentum while using the ability and that's probably a good thing because Dirk is reeeeeally good on his own.

-Axis2D Has an issue where if you go faster than your defaultspeed or go down a slope, you also start accelerating towards infinity, albiet slower than the ice bug.
--I will try and look at the source code of Axis2D to see if I can fix this myself.

-The 2D gametype is flat out unsupported due to the oddities in how it handles stat reduction, I've tried looking at what it does to normalspeed and it just flat out doesn't make sense
--The "Switch to 2D Mode" linedef action IS supported however, due to the lack of aforementioned stat reduction.

~~FUTURE PLANS~~
Here's the section where I list all the things I plan to do with the mod at a later date.​
-Add a menu accesible by a server admin to be able to enable and disable various parts of the mod
--Add togglable abilities for Sonic ala the Sonic 1/2 mobile ports, Mania, and S3C featuring:
---My soon-to-be-updated DropDash script
---Super Peel-out (needs animations)
---Insta-Shield, which if enabled will replace all vanilla shields with their elemental counterparts (with Saph's permission).

RECCOMENDED MAPS:
SUGOI:
-Skytop Zone by Glaber
-Concrete Jungle Zone by JStheGuy
-Jello Factory Zone by Mystic Cheez
-Sky Labyrinth Zone by Tripel the fox (If for no other reason than to just test the new spindash)

SUBARASHII
-Sunlit Cavern Zone by BronsoKip
-Sapphire Frost Zone by Glaber
-Snow Summit Zone by SAMMY SWAG
-Atlantis Zone by DarkTechno
-Propulsion Peaks Zone by Inferno Drag
-Pipes of Green Zone by VAdaPEGA
-Illumination Aerie Zone by JMRante

Sonic Surge level pack by Tyler52

The Emerald Isles by Kuja
-Arctic Ravine Zone act 1 (RESOURCE INTENSIVE!)
-Sandtrap Dunes Zone act 1 (Small character reccomendation: Rosy by Katmint)

RidersLevelsSlopes (If you can find this one, go play the levels by themselves with Classic.WAD loaded, this is one of the best map packs to show off the capabilities of this mod.)

Sonic '06 Mod by STHE123O (RESOURCE INTENSIVE!)
-White Acropolis (Skip the snowboard)
-Wave Ocean

Circuit Attack by Swift
-Emerald Isle Zone
Tips and tricks!
-Spin shot
--Find a gap as Sonic and don't think you can cross it? Try a spin shot!
Simply charge up a spindash and immediately press and hold jump as you let go to shoot yourself longer distances than you could just by running. This is extremely useful not only for getting over gaps with the fact that roll jumping no longer locks your movement so you can stop yourself and guide yourself in midair, but also for getting up to speed on straightaways where there's not much blocking your way. The latter part is very necisary for speedrunning and race.

-Spindash flying is still a thing! Charging up a spindash and flying as Tails will allow you to retain the momentum from the spindash as long as you don't mash jump. Even if you do mash jump, it will still net you a lot of distance that you wouldn't get normally simply by using the spinshot or just running up and flying as normal.

-Run down slopes
It's far easier to gain speed simply by running down slopes in the current version of Classic.WAD, doing so will net you a lot more speed than rolling!

-Rolling up slopes
This may sound unintuitive and sound like something that completely goes against all the classic Sonic physics, but doing this may net you a little extra height than you would otherwise gain off of slopes. If you're having trouble with a slope that would normally be clearable in vanilla, try this!

-Have you just hit a spring next to a wall and landed with little to no speed at all? A level 1 spindash will get you right back up to your normal speed within a few frames!

Changelog
(A.K.A. the Everything Breaks Toei update)
-Fixed a bug where TSonic could move while using his peel-out
-Fixed a bug where TSonic had a fully charged peelout instantly
-Fixed a bug where TSonic entered his run animations too soon
-Fixed a bug where TSonic had an OP as hell thok
-Fixed a bug where TSonic could turn super
-Fixed TSonic
-Only TSonic

-The gravity and scale checks have been removed for this release.
-Fixed a typo where I put in 5*TICRATE instead of 4 for the countdown, making it so you couldn't spindash on "GO" and if you jumped during that time, you would do a non-spin jump no matter which character you were.
-Fixed a bug with the new spring/steam animation fix where the game could not discern between players if they were "sprung"

-Fixed a bug where Dirk could spin while using ice surf
-Fixed a bug where Silver could still be put into a rolling state after slide jumping
-Added some new compatability toggles
-Removed the old spindash behavior entirely, making it so after the race countdown you can charge a spindash
-Fix bug where people playing with skins with a custom spindash animation affected people who weren't
-Disabled new spindash behavior for Greeneyes
-Fixed steam vent/fan animations
-Fixed size/gravity related speed checks

Attachments

• classic.zip
    429.4 KB · Views: 1,953
Last edited:
Now THIS is Classic Sonic Gameplay. The way that you guys (Yeah, i'm talking about Sonic Team Jr.) did was so broken, but i got used to that. But this wad changed everything FOREVER.

Eey this is good, though I don't like the new Spindash, feels weaker than it should be.

Have you tried jumping?

Also I just noticed Spindash keeps the same strength regardless of how long you hold down Spindash.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that, it's due to the fact that I felt it would be easier for people getting used to the way it works.
I shall now update the first post.

I think you should make the player transform against their will when they jump in the air with 50 or more rings

good ol' Sonic The Hedgehog 2 <3

If it should go by any example. it should be Sonic 3&K and Sonic Mania, as they have successfully brought in the speed, the gameplay, and the good options for the most part. If you're using Vanilla SRB2, you can go super via double jumping like the S3K/Mania on console pre-patch/Sonic 4, but if you want Sonic Mania/Modern Sonic(Don't forget they kinda did this first in Sonic Colors) way of doing it... there's a mod to give you exactly that totally not self promotion

Ah this is neat, it takes time to get used to, one thing I also like about this mod is gaining speed for running down slopes, Chemical Plant Zone Remake when ?

When someone decides to make a Chemical Plant remake because I'm awful at making levels.

Though that does sound like fun.

Last edited:
So, I took a quick little playthrough of some Subarashii levels with this, and I guess I'll throw in my two cents, for whatever that's worth.

First, I'll say that this is pretty impressive, technically. I imagine it involves a lot of workarounds and fighting the game's natural physics.

Beyond that, as far as things I liked go, the ability to control yourself when jumping out of a spin absolutely needs to be in vanilla. It just feels better than the alternative, in general. Being able to land into a roll is nice, though obviously conflicts with using shield abilities. There's not really anything you can do about that one though, so it's fine.

The physics changes are interesting, though at the same time it's somewhat hard to really notice them. Probably a combination of the fact that they're often slight tweaks, and that none of the levels that currently exist were designed in such a way that really allows you to take advantage of them (that I know of, anyways). I wonder if a small list of "recommended levels" might be a good idea.

I did notice that it seemed like Sonic was subject to more "realistic" momentum, as it were? It seems like when you go to turn, you still keep just a tiiiiny bit of momentum in the direction you were originally moving. It might be in my head, but whatever's going on, turning feels a little bit nicer, really.

The other thing that I took notice of was the fact that you keep your momentum more easily when running. It's not only useful for running down slopes, but also for when you jump out of a spindash. ...That said though, I have to wonder what the point of spinning is, then? It seems like you not only get plenty of momentum from running down slopes, but that you actively gain more than you would have spinning down them! At the very least, the fact that you lose momentum much slower (if at all) when running means you'll end up going faster in the end. An easy place to test this is right around the start of Subarashii's Sunlit Cavern, right past the first set of jumps.

And I guess that's as good of a segue as any into the things I'm not so keen on here. For one, I feel like you should have kept Sonic's thok around until at least the point you added in the drop-dash to replace it. Keep it at half power if you want or whatever, but not having any means of redirecting your momentum kind of hurts. I have my thoughts on the idea of removing the thok anyways, but since you do plan to have an options menu for this kind of stuff it doesn't matter.

Aside from that, can you legitimately tell me why you removed water skimming and the falling animation from springs? Other than "well it wasn't in the classic games!"? Not only does removing the falling part of the spring animation look dumb and bad, but it actively reduces compatability! Oh, and it looks even worse with fans to boot. But at least you could make some kind of "preferences" case for that one, there's legitimately no reason to remove water skimming. Has anybody ever thought it was some kind of problem that needed to be removed? I guess it could maybe be annoying if you're trying to spin into water for whatever reason, and I'll give you that it's not very reliable as to whether you'll actually land on the other side of the water or fall in, but surely the solution isn't just to trash it entirely? It was always one of those things I found cool about SRB2 in particular, even if it wasn't really useful.

First, I'll say that this is pretty impressive, technically. I imagine it involves a lot of workarounds and fighting the game's natural physics.

Thank you, this was the biggest hurdle to get over when starting to code the new momentum system, as even when I had thought I coded a workaround for it, the game kept slowing me down, although much more gradually than before.

The physics changes are interesting, though at the same time it's somewhat hard to really notice them. Probably a combination of the fact that they're often slight tweaks, and that none of the levels that currently exist were designed in such a way that really allows you to take advantage of them (that I know of, anyways). I wonder if a small list of "recommended levels" might be a good idea.
I wanted to keep the game pretty in-line with how the game already felt and that just happened to have a lot of crossovers with how the classic games already felt. I will update the post in the near-ish future (whenever the next update comes out) with a reccomended levels list, thank you for the suggestion!

I did notice that it seemed like Sonic was subject to more "realistic" momentum, as it were? It seems like when you go to turn, you still keep just a tiiiiny bit of momentum in the direction you were originally moving. It might be in my head, but whatever's going on, turning feels a little bit nicer, really.
This is actually the game's normal behavior so you should really thank the devs for that! It's much more noticable when you're not constantly jumping and thokking all over the place, changing your momentum instantly.

The other thing that I took notice of was the fact that you keep your momentum more easily when running. It's not only useful for running down slopes, but also for when you jump out of a spindash. ...That said though, I have to wonder what the point of spinning is, then? It seems like you not only get plenty of momentum from running down slopes, but that you actively gain more than you would have spinning down them!
I kept this in because that's how Sonic 2 handled it, but with the added effect of air resistance taken into account, since I wanted this to be as useful as possible in the current vanilla levels, I left air resistance out of the equation because otherwise you'd lose almost all of your speed instantly.

Spinning ends up being more useful for carrying your current momentum UP slopes. If you find yourself coming up short on your slope launches from running, try rolling at the end!
I would like to nerf running a bit more and put more emphasis on rolling but considering I do not know how to alter the rolling physics (Which probably also requires access to info on slopes which I can not access until 2.2) that isn't going to happen any time soon, I'm afraid.

I feel like you should have kept Sonic's thok around until at least the point you added in the drop-dash to replace it. Keep it at half power if you want or whatever, but not having any means of redirecting your momentum kind of hurts.
The devs always seem to have an emphasis on Sonic being the hardest to master of the bunch, I feel my script does this but in a different way than you'd normally think. The classics also tend to uphold this as well in my opinion, but as you said this will all be moot when I add in the other character abilities.

...can you legitimately tell me why you removed water skimming and the falling animation from springs? Other than "well it wasn't in the classic games!"?
This may be getting into personal prefrence territory but the water skimming was actually rather annoying to me, plus it's a side effect of giving more control to the player more movement options in the air because I have to remove the spinning flag to make the player control normally in the air.
Not only does removing the falling part of the spring animation look dumb and bad, but it actively reduces compatability! Oh, and it looks even worse with fans to boot.
This is a remenant of the first iteration of the script that I made at least 2 years ago when I was first learning Lua, if people seriously have a real problem with it I will remove it but it will also probably be relegated to being a toggleable in the new menu when it's finished. Also, I'm thinking I'm going to ask the people who made the code for Fing Sonic to allow me to use their fix for that.

Thank you for the constructive criticism and I'll attempt to fix these issues in the future! ^^

With this mod that is think is very cool, i just wonder how can be srb2 with the classic sonic of sonic forces' physics ?

After a long wait, the script has finally been updated to version 1.1!

-----------------------------------​

Here's what's changed and new in this version!
-Fixed a bug where Dirk could spin while using ice surf
-Fixed a bug where Silver could still be put into a rolling state after slide jumping
-Added some new compatability toggles
-Removed the old spindash behavior entirely, making it so after the race countdown you can charge a spindash
-Fix bug where people playing with skins with a custom spindash animation affected people who weren't
-Disabled new spindash behavior for Greeneyes
-Fixed steam vent/fan animations
-Fixed size/gravity related speed checks

Well! It turns out I forgot to actually test a few of the fixes I actually made before pushing that update out.
How embarrassing.
Therefore! Classic.WAD is now updated to 1.1.1! I'm terribly sorry for double posting.

Here's what's been (actually) fixed and changed this time around:
-The gravity and scale checks have been removed for this release until I get around to ACTUALLY fixing them, sorry. (Thank you Lach for all the help you've given me so far with this!)
-Fixed a typo where I put in 5*TICRATE instead of 4 for the countdown, making it so you couldn't spindash on "GO" and if you jumped during that time, you would do a non-spin jump.
-Fixed a bug with the new spring/steam animation fix where the game could not discern between players if they were "sprung" (Thank you Lach and Wolfy for helping me with this!)

No update today but there I DID update the first post! There's now a reccomended maps section at the bottom as well as a tips and tricks section for some tips to optimize your Classic play!

Hi there everybody! I know I promised this a little while ago and here it finally is!
The Classic.WAD - EBT Edition update!
(No that doesn't mean the mod is now below the poverty line, what are you thinking?)

--------------------------------------------​

(A.K.A. Everything Breaks Toei Edition)
-Fixed TSonic
-Only TSonic

Hi there everybody! I know I promised this a little while ago and here it finally is!
The Classic.WAD - EBT Edition update!
(No that doesn't mean the mod is now below the poverty line, what are you thinking?)

--------------------------------------------​

(A.K.A. Everything Breaks Toei Edition)
-Fixed TSonic
-Only TSonic

JUST
TSONIC
*glitchy noises*

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back