Official Level Design Contest Voting: May/June 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
[url="http://www.srb2.org/mb/viewtopic.php?t=18014&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60" said:
Ezer.Arch on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:10 pm GMT (Page 4)[/url]]
Callum said:
AFALL1
AFALL1
AFALL1
AFALL1
AFALL1
AFALL1
AFALL1
AFAIL!

I used "Fix missing textures" and gave a walk to see if something bad happened, but I didn't it enough times.

When you fix missing textures, all you are doing is replacing any missing textures with a default texture, which perhaps is AFALL1 for you. If there are missing textures that you replaced, also try using the replace feature. Just replace any or all of a texture, in this case AFALL1, with a texture you may consider the default texture for your map. That way you'll have a much lesser chance (or perhaps no chance) of unintentionally encountering an AFALL1 texture. Or, for an even more efficient method, just change your default textures.

Kuja said:
Which is why I'm thinking that it won't make it to the level pack I'm slowly working on. Shame.

Make a Low-End not including ALZ, and a High-End including both acts.

I'm having a hard time taking Flame seriously on the "platforms are smaller than Nimbus Ruins," because I made sure that they were much wider than the notches on the platforms in that zone. I definitely believe him falling into death pits so often, though. =D

Make a Low-End not including ALZ, and a High-End including both acts.

So you're essentially telling me to remove a zone from the game? I'd rather cut off my own foot.(lol okay not really, but you get what I mean)

...So the only other option would be to make a pansy version of this contest map, and remove all underwater areas. I will remove air bubbles. I will remove any area that requires that you go underwater for more than 15 seconds. I'll call it Dry Labyrinth Zone. It will totally NOT be yet another carbon copy of every other level. =P

I could always cut the stage in half, too.

You know, you could always change the style of game progression so that the player isn't required to play the zone.

An easy, obvious way to do this is to not include a gamedata and let the player have level select from the get-go. Of course, you probably don't want that.

Also, is your thok-barrier well-trimmed?

You could make an easier version of ALZ2 and then use the hard version as an unlock, maybe?

Though it's kind of pointless to have an unlock that you can simply download by looking for it and finding this topic...

I got an idea! Leave the level alone.

The people who can't beat it just cheat.

Some people complain Mystic Realm is too hard ,but they still play it.

If you must give the player the ability to not play the zone, then I figure you can do what New Super Mario Bros. did and allow the player to go to an alternative zone instead. This could be done by giving the zone before ALZ an alternative exit.

Also, speaking of ALZ, JEV3:

The platforming was genuine and the gimmicks were quite enjoyable. The level not only offered factory, water, and outdoor THZ themes, but it featured them quite generously. Furthermore you were able to take a bunch of textures that were not terribly interesting in themselves, and make them stand out in a fresh new way. The level ending was quite

...was quite reminiscent of the large reactor rooms in Metal Flower, which has been one of my all-time favorite levels for SRB2 despite its confusing layout.

Yeah... I've been meaning to fix that but didn't have the time.

Matt, your map "shot down" my server 4 times.

Code:
>addfile scr_factoryfarce1-mapx9.wad
Checksum mismatch while loading scr_factoryfarce1-mapx9.wad.
Make sure you have the copy of
this file that the server has.
Got unknown net command [45]=0 (max 0)
>addfile scr_factoryfarce1-mapx9.wad
Added file scr_factoryfarce1-mapx9.wad (21 lumps)
Loading main config from scr_factoryfarce1-mapx9.wad
Level header 937: unknown word 'DEVTIME'

1 warning in the SOC lump
1 sounds replaced
MAPX9

(specially after we've played for 25 minutes Aquatic Labyrinth Zone and 7 Hidden Sanctuary, I think my players almost gave up my server.)

Blue Warrior said:
If you must give the player the ability to not play the zone, then I figure you can do what New Super Mario Bros. did and allow the player to go to an alternative zone instead. This could be done by giving the zone before ALZ an alternative exit.

I'm actually liking this idea a lot more. I may just have those people who want to play on easy mode go to the old ALZ. Thanks.

filio said:
I don't feel like going into detail right now.

SINGLE PLAYER

Greenery Pass Zone, Act 2 - 8/10
Flooded Forest Zone - 5/10
Hidden Sanctuary Zone, Act 2 - 9/10
Gabler Base 5 Zone - 5/10
Cosmic Galaxy Zone - 4/10
Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 2 - Forty tries later Uhhh...seems like i'll rate this later.
Mill Citadel Zone, Act 2 - 6/10

I'll work on Aquatic Labyrinth Act 2 and Multiplayer now.

You know, you might confuse any sort of score calculator when voting is over because you have two posts with your Single Player levels, lol.

I hope Kuja didn't get this wrong:

Ezer.Arch said:
(specially after we've played for 25 minutes Aquatic Labyrinth Zone and 7 Hidden Sanctuary, I think my players almost gave up my server.)

We had a lot of fun and ... game-overs. There was a moment players wanted me to exitlevel, I said "No, I'm near endlevel"; "-- good for you" they replied. Lol.

Later we tried Hidden Sanctuary and Factory Farce (when I got the error). My server had lasted for 2 hours until that, they could give up.

Blue Warrior said:

I support it. See Nuclear Sunset Zone 2 by BZ4, it has 2 exits, and there are other maps with multiple exits (with CECHO) that lead you to a different map.

:SonicMaster: said:
filio said:
I don't feel like going into detail right now.

SINGLE PLAYER

Greenery Pass Zone, Act 2 - 8/10
Flooded Forest Zone - 5/10
Hidden Sanctuary Zone, Act 2 - 9/10
Gabler Base 5 Zone - 5/10
Cosmic Galaxy Zone - 4/10
Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 2 - Forty tries later Uhhh...seems like i'll rate this later.
Mill Citadel Zone, Act 2 - 6/10

I'll work on Aquatic Labyrinth Act 2 and Multiplayer now.

You know, you might confuse any sort of score calculator when voting is over because you have two posts with your Single Player levels, lol.

Oops...

Damn, Aquatic Labyrinth Act 2 is so freakin' hard. (probaly just because of the lag)

And now teh single player levels:

Single Player:

Cosmic Galaxy by verifiaman: 2/10
The good news is that the music is awesome. The bad news is that the level is lame. The laser walls are way too cheap, plus the anti-gravity area can get oyu stuck if you get hit the laser walls in the wrong place. Oh, and if you have to forceskin Sonic because Tails and Knuckles have it cheap, that tells me that you didn't put in the effort to prevent such a major shortcut when it could have been easy to do so. Also, I realize that other people have cleared it as Sonic, but I don't see how I can clear it.

Flooded Forest Zone by Cheese: 6/10
2D levels aren't usually all that great, but this one had some quality to it. Lots of spikes plus a possible cheap death on the rising platforms are some problems, but I like the fact that you fight a boss battle at the end. There aren't too many levels that do that, so it's a welcome addition to the contest.

Glaber Base 5 by Glaber: 6/10
Okay, I guess having a Sally path increases the replay value, but WHY SALLY?!? Anyway, unique enemies and a boss battle mid-level (which I don't think has been done before) gives this level an FTW stamp of approval. Oh, and let me guess... credits in memorial of 1.09.4. Right?

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 2 by Kuja: 5/10
I was actually able to clear this as Sonic... after 50 tries. =_= This is a really long level, and there are so many places where you can suffer a cheap death, especially for first-timers--in fact, there are too many to list. (Mystic clearing this level on the first try was probably just a fluke *shot*) Having said that, I give you props for making a level that would be suited for the end of a mod--it's good that way because of its difficulty--but by itself, though, it's a little too difficult. Oh, and it's unplayable as Tails because of the current, but that won't affect the score since Tails would be a little cheap everywhere else.

Factory Farce Zone, Act 1 by MattW_CFI: 8/10
Love the music, BTW. At first, I thought the flashing panels on the bottom were there to hurt you, but they actually bounce you really high (although in some cases you bounce into flashing tiles in the top which do hurt you), so that's a pleasant surprise. Lots of secrets to uncover, plus what might be an emblem location...maybe for Knuckles? Great level, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Greenery Pass Zone, Act 2 by Knockout the Echidna: 5/10
Reminds me of the first zone of Blue Heaven (can't remember the name). This was OK; it was simple and had an easy feel to the level. Nothing else makes it really stand out (although the extra life, speed, and invincibility monitors in one place caught my attention).

Green Canyon Zone by SonicMaster: 4/10
You really love zoomtubes, don't you? Yeah, when you have some parts of the level done for you, it ruins the replay value a little. It's another simple level, and unfortunately that's all it is. I did like the set up to get to the water monitor, though.

Hidden Sanctuary Zone, Act 2 by Ice: 6/10
I love the water-bouncing trick at the end and the fact that you can find two tokens just like in the 1.09.4 levels, but once again I feel that there is nothing else to the level. Lighting up the torches was fun to do, though.

Mill Citadel Zone, Act 2 by Ezer'Arch: 9/10
Can I just say I LUV THIS LEVEL!!! w00t Every bit as fun as the first act, plus the spinning gimmick provides a unique challenge to the level. Please tell me you'll make a mod after the release of 2.0 and put both acts into it, plus a sweet boss battle!

Single Player Overall:
Mixed results to this division. Good thing there were only a few unsatisfactory levels here. The rest were great, especially Matt's Factory Farce and Ezer'Arch's Mill Citadel.

May-June 2009 Contest Overall:
We, of course had our fill of FAIL from Glaber at times, race was pitiful this time around, and one Single Player level was the pits!! However, a lot of good came from this contest as well: Cheese made some quality Match/CTF levels, the majority of the Single Player levels got higher than a 5 from me, and THERE WERE NO ZEROES! Great turnout for the final 1.09.4 contest. Now all that's left to do is wait for the release of 2.0, and then the OLDC will be back in business!! Well, say good-bye to 1.09.4, already! Until 2.0!

Gemini Spark said:
... but WHY SALLY?!?
I'm a Major Sally Acorn Fan, and she made a great test subject for expermentating with the "Trigger once (character ability)" trigger.

Gemini Spark said:
Oh, and let me guess... credits in memorial of 1.09.4. Right?
Right.

For SP and CTF:

Single Player

Green Canyon Zone by SonicMaster - 6/10

Playable with interesting parts.

Scenery: started great, ended interesting, but the middle: I felt "empty". Seems you rushed the middle part of the map. I felt the lack of a better scenery. You could put some waterfalls, rocks, trees... more details would help the player to get involved with the map.

I'd like to find some surprises, but the level flowed a tad repetitive.

That "growing-down-up" rock at 6000, 6350 doesn't make much sense. A floating tree trunk would be better.

Besides good points that people have already pointed out here, I liked "down-up" shatter block trick.

Aquatic Labyrinth Zone, Act 2 by Kuja - 8/10

Playable and enjoyable map with impressive parts

Challenging. A map must have a challenge, hard or easy, the challenge should be consistent and well proposed. Long length (huge map is huge). Simply I can't get bored.

Sometimes water colormap disturbs me to find an air burble (despair!), but I understood this plays a role in the challenge. In some points I almost got lost (specially SW part, near at -32000, 12700).

Needs a better path clearness; I know this is a labyrinth, but the "I can see where I should go" or at least "I can see the path" is important for player not to get frustrated or disoriented).

Floors that almost instantly squeezed me against the ceiling, but this is matter of skill.

That part "use yellow springs to pass or red one to death" was interesting (NW part). Well, I love when springs are well used. Same goes to -19400,24000.

Some places seem to have a chaotic texture palette (e.g.: near at 16000,-4000 and parts of open-air area). I think textures variate too much, unnecessarily, and I felt some textures fooled me (example: I step on CEIL3_1 or DEM1_3 and think "something bad will happen", nothing happens; I step on an innocent texture, the floor either falls or raises. On my opinion, textures should show what the material is made of and its behavior), but I believe you did so because you wanted to highlight details of scenery.

Also, I'm afraid some traps are incompatible to some characters (near at -24200, 13000: falling laser block; try to pass there using Tails).

I found a little "bug" at -15700,23300, FOF falls and "opens" a hole in chemical water.

The ending was epic.

Hidden Sanctuary Zone, Act 2 by Ice - 9/10

Impressive map

Beautiful. Excellent atmosphere, I can get involved with the map. It's a level created FOR Sonic, even.

Excellent scenery. Good Z-axis variation. I liked the light-shadow effects.

As I had said, I never saw gargoyles so happy. That "live-water" made me remember live-floor of Vibrant Vendetta Zone.

Glaber Base 5 by Glaber - 4/10

Almost playable map.

Good Z-axis variation. Good variety ("sometimes" scenery map variety too much; I'd prefer a theme more consistent). The map is not boring.

The main problem of this map is spacing and dimensioning (it's your problem), specially with crushers and paths that need to be enlarged (or when I face large and empty rooms). "Blind corner" death pit just after crushers not good (e.g.: at 800,1000).

Unavoidable enemy at 12900, -1950: Minus comes when I'm in mid-air after I go up springs.

Anyway, you are getting better with maps. Keep improving.

Cosmic Galaxy by verifiaman 3/10

Failed in some critical points (needs important corrections)

At the first sight I thought "Wow, good". But...

Falling laser block too fast (800,1200 and others), I had to thok and depend on lucky to not get hurt again (critical point: player must never depend on lucky). Invisible floor with invisible hole... not good: I know there's a hole in ceiling pointing where the invisible hole is, but it's not guessable at the bat.

Sometimes I lost controls because of zero-gravity (critical point: player must never lose the controls).

I felt paths are a tad chaotic and don't have a good movement flow, although having a good z-variation.

Scenery was well applied in whole map.

Try to improve the map, even. The map has a good proposal, I think you can make a great map from this idea.

Flooded Forest Zone by Cheese - 4/10

Almost playable map.

I love 2D maps for some reason (I loved Blown Fuse Zone by SonicMaster).

I didn't like this: I was squeezed against spike-ceiling at 2400,0; later I get skilled to escape in time. In same place, Skim started to drops bombs over me, but... how would I dodge it if I can't see the Skim?

Flying enemies, like Jetty-Syn Gunner, come from nowhere and shoot me. I think they must stand still.

Boss was a tad boring. You could SOC the boss or place a endlevel sign instead.

Factory Farce Zone, Act 1 by MattW_CFI 7/10

Playable and enjoyable map

Theme excellently well applied in whole map. Anti-gravity floor was FTW!

Minor thing: Short length; major thing: it was enjoyable.

Mill Citadel Zone, Act 2 by Ezer'Arch N/A

Well, it's my map; an AFAIL1 map! :D

Greenery Pass Zone, Act 2 by Knockout The Echidna 6/10

Playable with interesting parts.

Theme well applied in whole map. Good scenery. Interesting Z-variation.

Likely SonicMaster's map, I missed some thing that would make this map more interesting.

Multiplayer Level Pack - CTF

MAPA3 - Geometric Void Zone by SonicMaster 7/10

Theme was well applied in whole map. Provides enough z-axis variety; and it's really clear that there are 3 main path levels.

The problem starts when I tried to memorize the map (I'd need a map to play the map) at the first try. Blue circular towers (that ones in main path) are there to disturb the map. Seems you tried to make something different, but they aren't there to help you memorize the map not even to give you a good flow movement, and "break" the player's view every time he gets into there.

The lower path goes straight from a base to other base, but there's a risk of falling into death pit.

You should make it more interesting, not a straight line.

MAPA4 - Diamondus CTF2 by Glaber 6/10

Aesthetically clean, beautiful. Scenic is not tiredness. Texture and color palette pleased me.

Paths are not so clear although they have an interesting z-axis variety. Platforms are not enough large for a good movement flow. The same goes for lakes and rivers. I think you could enlarge 25~50%.

I "discovered" an alternative path that goes straight from a base to other base. This almost killed whole map. Why would I use a harder path (main area) if I can use such path?

(Why every time I play this map, Sapphire Falls CTF Zone appears in my mind? -- winter version?)

MAPA5 - Illuminated City Zone by Cheese 6/10

The main path goes straight from a base to other base and there's nothing between bases (besides Metro/Underground entrance).

I have more things to say, but my time is over. O.o'

I couldn't figure out WHY the rock "grew," because Linedef Type 3 is supposed to scroll the texture along with the sector height. It worked fine in many other zones I've created.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back