Ironrind's Sonic Games (Nebulous and SatAM Project)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongcrierCat

Down In It
NEBULOUS
http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/21/new-video-sonic-nebulous-4-0-set-for-sage/

http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2201

Nebulous due to release this Friday. Play through the world of Sonic like never before in this artistic approach to the classic franchise. Explore worlds and play as characters from the games, comics, and cartoons.

Greg's Thoughts on the game: This will be awesome. I mean, the gameplay already looks like a more trippy version of the classics but with a new Tim Burton vibe. If you ask me this is pretty cool.

SatAM Project

http://www.saturdaymorningsonic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2202

Now we're talking business. This time, we get into some heavy duty programming as Ironrind builds steam for this untitled but surely impressive stealth game project.

Greg's Thoughts: Modeling is REALLY good. This looks much better than what SEGA's given us recently with Werehog and Black Knight. The only thing that sounds weird is stealth, but then again, if this turns out great then who cares what genre it is. I don't mind a Metal Gear Sonic. In fact, that idea in itself sounds AWESOME.

Sonic CB

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/23/new-video-sonic-cb-is-rockin/

Another high profile 2D sidescroller. Take classic into the 21st Century with new abilities and puzzles. Note: Rocking it up.

Greg's Thoughts: Now, I've seen just about everything from Ironrind. This is just... This dude is LEGENDARY. As much as I love SRB2, you can help but admit that Ironrind is a fangame powerhouse to be reckoned with. I mean, he's inventive, imaginative, and talented... Now if only SEGA can learn from guys like him.

Discuss.

Wow, That is all I can say about it.

At first I though "Ugh an another stupid sonic fan-game wannabe?".

Now it's "Wow those games look great! But is it just special fx?"

NEBULOUS

Eh, saw this a while back on YouTube. The whole gothic/emo thing was a huge turnoff, especially at the design of most of the characters. The levels themselves don't look too bad, though, and the camera rotation looked pretty awesome, albeit a tad confusing

Hype level: 2/5

SatAM Project

Honestly, not much to say about this game so far. Just a couple of untextured character models. Come back when the staff shows off the engine/gameplay/anything of remote interest.

Hype level: 1/5

Sonic CB

This one was kinda of a bore. It seems puzzle based, which looks boring for a Sonic game, especially a sidescroller. The only thing that caught my attention was at the end of the video, where it previewed the next video "How to use Springs." Now THAT looked interesting

Hype level: 2/5

Yeah, nothing much interesting here. Maybe it's because the majority of these games are SatAM based and I never really found an interest in SatAM.

About The 3d sonic project: I want to port those models to Gmod.

Fixed. referanced the wrong project

glaber said:
About Sonic Neblous: I want to port those models to Gmod.
Words from a brilliant person. *High five.* The female models have slightly broad shoulders but they're still nonetheless results of impressive modelling and passion. I mean, they got them near perfect.

Oh wait... Nebulous? You mean the SatAM project, right? Still you deserve a high five. This is something I've been waiting for for some time now....

@Chisuun: What? You never found interest in... Alright. Fine. Call me a SatAM fanboy, but I think these games look FANTASTIC. As for CB.... well... This looks to have some very interactive and decidely intuitive gameplay. So it has puzzles... So what? It still peaks my interest on how this guy makes and comes with the ideas for his games.

I'm not liking Sonic Nebulous. I personally liked Sonic Epoch (DOS) because of the atmosphere, but Nebulous kinda makes me want to vomit. Some of those characters have been seriously sabotaged. Why does Sonic have beefy arms? Ew, ew, ew, ew, gross. Get it away from my sight. And Charmy? What have they done to Charmy? He freaking looks like one of the soldiers out of Gears of War! WHY? Rouge is the only character out of that overcrowded roster who actually fits in with the environment.

(Oh, and the camera rotation is too stiff. It doesn't adapt to the player's speed, so it basically spazzes out and looks stupid.)

Sonic CB looks promising. I like how it takes several simple objects and allows them all to interact with each other. More games should be like this. My only real concern is the effect it'll have on the flow of the Sonic gameplay, because... this is a Sonic game we're talking about. Also, I don't like how the camera zooms out based on your velocity vector. It looks stupid during the low-speed platforming sections, but hey, at least it's not as embarrassing as Nebulous' camera.

By the way, he should consider moving off Game Maker into C++ so that he can produce a more reliable, cross-platform engine.

I personally dislike Sonic CB because it's just trying to emulate the look and feel of the classics. Nebulous, as odd as it is, is at least doing something different, and for that I look forwards to it.

Sonic Nebulous, by far, have some of the most funny sprites I ever saw, enough said.

SatAM Project, while I have some interest due to the "stealth" gametype, isn't enough to attract me.

Sonic CB looks promising; This puzzle gametype is way more interesting than the rest.

Do yourself a favor guys.

Play Sonic Nebulous. This is the best 2D fangame ever made. No... The best fangame ever made. This is how you make a Sonic game. The theme may be different but it is still a Sonic game. And the gameplay proves it.

By the way, people like glaber will enjoy the amount of SatAM Ironrind has put into this title. While I have only watched 5 episodes of it, myself, this game made me want to watch the rest so badly. Apparently the first boss came straight from an episode called Hooked on Sonic, or so... that's what I heard from a deeply SatAM immersed friend.

GREG THE CAT said:
No... The best fangame ever made

Sorry, I'll take SRB2's classic look, 3D environments and beautiful visuals to Nebulous' gothic/emo theme. Ewww.

Chisuun said:
GREG THE CAT said:
No... The best fangame ever made

Sorry, I'll take SRB2's classic look, 3D environments and beautiful visuals to Nebulous' gothic/emo theme. Ewww.
The design may be classic, but SRB2 is still less of an exciting experience than Sonic Nebulous.

Nebulous takes classic gameplay to new heights. Please do yourself a favor and actually play this game. Graphics may be weird to you, but the gameplay is all too familliar and better.

Code:
ERROR in
action number 2
of Other Event: Room Start
for object gameStart:

Initialization of the sound system failed!

That would be the lack of sound drivers for my sound card in XP causing that.

Still, I'm not interested in Nebulous in any way. All the characters look terrible, no matter what anyone says, really. I don't mind the design of the SatAM characters, but Sonic's beefy arms look ridiculously bad, I don't even know what the hell is on Knuckles' head, Shadow's on a skateboard (enough said there) and Charmy...oh God, Charmy. One the topic of the gameplay itself, the gameplay looks uninteresting and everything looks so dark and depressing that I'm surprised I'm even playing a Sonic game.

It looks terrible overall, and to tell you the truth, I was trying to forget videos that I had seen on YouTube of the game due to it just looking ridiculously un-Sonic-like and emo, until this topic brought it back up.

Note: I believe that would be a doo rag or cap on his head. Aw c'mon, love some Jamaican reference man. That was VERY creative.

[spoiler:ae7508a81d]
screenshot100.jpg

screenshot102.jpg

Now I can see why Sonic hates water.....

screenshot101.jpg
[/spoiler:ae7508a81d] Click for sneak peaks at awesome bosses.

Dear, god. What the hell? What's wrong with Sonic Nebulous?
The designs are so ridiculous, it's disgusting. Sonic is supposed to be running through happy things, not having beefy arms and cutting himself or whatever.
Sorry, the design puts me off too much too even try. I don't even want to know what Charmy looks like.

...srb2 is better *runs*

Autosaver said:
I really think you guys should quit complaining about the designs. Its more based on gameplay.....

But if the game is so fucking ugly, then it's going to be really hard to enjoy.

The only thing I liked about Nebulous was that it reminded me how much I like Sonic 3D Blast music. The controls were butter and it's extremely hard to pick a character.

BlueZero4 said:
The only thing I liked about Nebulous was that it reminded me how much I like Sonic 3D Blast music. The controls were butter and it's extremely hard to pick a character.

Arrows keys, then spacebar, then Enter?

So, yeah, played through a few levels yesterday. In its entirety, it sucked. The entire thing was just depressing, and that;s not how I want to play a Sonic game. I don't care how much anyone tries to say how brilliant the design was, the game looked fucking awful. End.

On the topic of gameplay, guess what the levels were? PUSH RIGHT TO WIN. There's was almost no platforming as far as I was concerned, maybe a few hiccups here and there, but at least 80% of the time I found myself holding right just to get through the level. The controls were also very clunky and I really hated the camera system, with its rotations and all. That was incredibly annoying to go through.

I'd give this game a 2/10. There's pretty much nothing redeemable in here, the design is absolutely awful, the gameplay is pathetic, clunky and boring and the levels are just push right to win. I don't know what the buzz around this game is, it's just another typical crappy sidescrolling Sonic fangame to me.

Ugh, Sonic Nebulous called they want their "Anyone disappointed?" topic back. Why does everybody look like Shadow? I played as Cream and got depressed while playing. Should not Cream be smiling half the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back