SRB2 Launcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: A newer version with SRB2 2.1.X support (and below) is available here: http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=38488

This launcher is based on a design I've had laying around for about two years but never put any functionality into. It's "written" (drag 'n drop!) in C# using Visual Studio which doesn't sound the best, I know... but who cares! =P

This requires .NET Framework 4.0 or higher.

Also, I'm prefixing this with "EXE mod" since it's the closest to being applicable, and these types of releases are seemingly within the rules.

Features:

• You can add and remove multiple custom files (wads etc) simultaneously [see screenshot]
  • You can drag and drop files and directories into the file list (dragging in directories recursively adds all files from the directory, and all its sub directories)
  • You can add files from other directories (so if SRB2 is in your documents and there's a file on your desktop you want to use, it won't crash!) [see screenshot]
  • You can change the order of the file list which subsequently changes the order they're loaded in SRB2
  • You can host or join (directly by IP) a netgame right from the launcher
  • You can warp directly to a stage with whatever gametype you like whether you're hosting a server or just playing single player
  • You can warp to maps by using their ingame numbering system (e.g A1 for 101; the first level of Mystic Realm)
  • You can save and load file list profiles for easy access to commonly used custom files
  • Custom command-line arguments
Planned features:

• Map name display by reading level headers or maincfgs... maybe.
  • Profiles for launcher settings

tl;dr it does everything the SRB2 Net launcher did except better with some extra stuff.
Also if the source code is really necessary in this situation, I can upload it. But I warn you, it's terrible. I'm not really used to C# coming from C++.

There are some checkboxes in the join netgame tab that are currently disabled simply because I was too lazy to implement. That, and they appear to effectively do the same thing, so I haven't chosen one or the other. Ignore for now!

Anyway, tell me what you think (if it makes it through submissions)!
And credit to SSNTails for the icon which I shamelessly stole from his website and cropped =P

Attachments

• 1.1 Files.png
    1.1 Files.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,890
  • 1.2 Files.png
    1.2 Files.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,067
  • 2.1 Netplay.png
    2.1 Netplay.png
    20 KB · Views: 2,232
  • 2.2 Netplay.png
    2.2 Netplay.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,130
  • 3. Options.png
    3. Options.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 2,041
  • SRB2 Launcher.zip
    206.4 KB · Views: 2,173
Last edited:
When I try to extract the EXE, it fails with an error code 0x80004005. Do you know what's going on here?

Hm... I think it's because of the compression settings I used in 7-Zip. I've re-uploaded the archive in something a little more standard; see if that helps.

"SRB2 Launcher.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

I'm running Windows XP 64-bit edition. If you don't know what's going on, you could upload the source code so someone else can look at it and find out.

Weeell that confirms some suspicion about the redists. Now I'm pretty sure it requires .NET 4.5 which isn't supported on XP. I'll go compile it in VS 2010 and see if that helps. Turns out I made a typo anyway =P ("Unable to launc SRB2")

Edit: Oh wait, my VS 2010 is C++ only. Uh, let me get someone to compile this for me lol.

Edit 2: OH DERP. I can just change the target framework. Should work fine now! Tested it on my XP virtual machine; requires 4.0. I can't believe I missed this ._.

Last edited:
Approved.

Anyone who has issues opening/running the launcher should probably report that here so it can be addressed.

Not exactly a huge issue, but when hosting a dedicated server via the launcher, any servername you type in the field won't show up. I went with my usual "‡Puppy's Place", only for the server to show up as "H Dedicated Server".

Turns out there isn't actually a command line parameter for server names as I had originally thought. Remind me to stop doing things from memory... which is apparently very wrong. I'll disable it for the time being, and maybe later I'll have it write directly to the configuration file.

In its place, I'll add an option to display a console window in the options tab, because it's something I use every so often. I'm going to wait to re-upload it yet again until I have file sorting implemented, though.

Also, thanks for the approval!

Nice job here! Now all you need to do is to implement the master server list (like how Oogaland's net lancher used to work before it became incompatible with the current master server) and be able to join those games.

Can it have support for maps with letters? :< I hate trying to remember the number for maps like R1 or whatever.

Yes, that's something I'd like to try out as well. I just need to think of a way to do it.
That should be easy to do. Write a conversion function from letter-type map numbers to regular map numbers and feed the input from the "map number" field through that function before adding it to the command line parameter. Writing the conversion function itself shouldn't be too hard either; you can find an algorithm for the conversion here.

Back then I picked up FuriousFox's Click 'n Play launcher and used that. But I think I'll abandon that a moment to give this a try once. :P

This SRB2 Launcher works on any version of SRB2 (not only in 2.0.6), I guess. I tested it on Final Demo (1.09.4). It works fine. Thanks SF94.

This is one hell of a launcher. When it gets the ability to save settings altogether I'm going to switch to this over SRB2Net anyday. It'd be cool if this came bundled with 2.1 or something so everyone would have it.

From the looks of it, you've got something good here. Trying this out pronto.
EDIT: Seems to work pretty well (for my purposes anyway). Nice job.

Last edited:
I'm glad you guys like it so far! If you have any suggestions, let me know.

That should be easy to do. Write a conversion function from letter-type map numbers to regular map numbers and feed the input from the "map number" field through that function before adding it to the command line parameter. Writing the conversion function itself shouldn't be too hard either; you can find an algorithm for the conversion here.

Thanks, working on it now. Just to be fancy, I'll allow it to work both ways; with and without letters (so map A1 and 101 will work the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back