"Change front sector's tag"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekk

I can't get this linedef to work! Could someone please explain how to setup the linedef or control sector?

IIRC, that was intendeted to be used on control sectors. "Front Sector" refers to the side of the linedef that has the hatch in the middle.

Oh, and the linedef you're talking about is a linedef executor. Some prior knowledge in that area would help a lot.

(For future refrence, a bump is generally when someone posts on a topic that's old and bumps it up to the top. An hour or two doesn't exactly qualify.)

I know what a linedef's front sidedef is.

I know what a linedef's front sector is.

I know how to use linedef executors.

Oh, the consequences of being a newb... Sigh.

This is the ONLY linedef executor that has given me trouble, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

One of the things I am questioning is exactly what to do with the linedef. I don't really know what to tag it to (the sector I want to change the tag of, or something else). It's stupid though... I probably have it set up correctly, considering I tested another linedef executor on it, and it executed fine. I think my problem might be that when you change the linedef's front sector, it is no longer part of the control sector. I then made that one linedef double-sided (the back sector being part of the control sector) to keep it bounded. I don't know if I'm NOT supposed to do that, or if I am...
I mean, yeah, if I'm supposed to use it on another control sector, then I'm sunk. Changing the sector tag of the control sector I'm working with will not work. If I could change the tag of a linedef somehow, and the effect it has, that would be fantastic, but for now I'm stuck trying to make it work on this sector on the map...

You seem to have the knowledge, though. Would you care to actually help me instead of talking down to me like I am some idiot n00b? It's very rude.
If you know how to setup the sector and linedefs, please let me know. I do have _some_ prior experience with this sort of thing, by the way. Don't always assume that my join date means otherwise, because there's the chance that I could be a lurker, and just need a quick question answered.

Oh, you mean "change calling sector's tag"...

All it does is change the tag of the sector that activates the linedef. I can't really use this one, though.

The trigger would be on the sector of which you want the tag to be changed. Linedef length of the special determines the new tag. I'm not 100% sure on where to tag the linedef effect, though... Maybe you could tag both on the same sector? x_X

I wish someone could help myself, and you, also.

Oh, wow. I'm seriously amazed. Mostly, not that you've already got some mapping experience, but that you're not an idiot like the rest of them. Congrats.

Have you tried to work around it? I've changed water into lava before. Basically, what I did was I had the water where the water should be, and the lava was hidden beneath the floor. When I switched the two, I moved the lava up where the water was and moved the water down where the lava was.

Of course, spouting off random examples (probably) isn't helping because I have no idea what you're trying to do here. If you could tell me what you're trying to do, I could better help you.

It's difficult to explain.

I'm working with continuously falling sectors, and with my map, they're falling up. I want them all to start in the same place, but start at different times. This is easily executed with a simple gargoyle box type F. The only problem is, I can't think of executing it any other way by changing the tag of the sector. Making it actually APPEAR by changing the tag is what I'm aiming for. If I make it start further below, it wont end in the same place, making it randomize, which is not what I want to happen. I've also tried using the "stop plane movement" effect, and it works, but there's no way to make it start again. The only way I could, is using start platform movement, but whoever developed this game stupidly made it just like the activate floating platform effect, instead of just a normal start plane movement where it would allow any type of movement to start or continue.

Got any ideas? I have none... and if I don't get this done, I can't move on.

You said you were using a gargoyle box? I've never done one of those before, but I think I get the gist of it.

IIRC, continuously falling platforms know how far they need to fall (or rise) because of an adjacent control sector. Start all of the rising platforms by making them only rise 1 fracunit before reseting to their original position. Essentially, they'll be vibrating up and down reaaaally fast.

Next I would use the gargoyle box to move the sectors that tell the continuously rising platforms how far they need to rise. Try using linedefs 106 and 107; they change the heights instantly so there's no bugging up.

Other than that, I got nothing.

That strategy worked! I just made a move sector floor/ceiling control sector that moved the falling sector down at the same speed as it was rising for the set amount of time I put, and it worked.

I'm still curious on how to get the change front sector tag effect working, though...

Glad I could help, although I'm a little bit confused. ^_^()

What did you use that for in your level, anyway?

Oh, I'm entering it in the level design contest! You'll see it when the voting begins!

Although, I don't know how well I'll do in the competition, but I think it looks decent at the very least, so don't expect an eyesore! :)

Rekk said:
Oh, I'm entering it in the level design contest! You'll see it when the voting begins!
Tell me it's single player. Please tell me it's single player.

Contest starts tomorrow night, though, so I don't think much needs to be said here.

Match. Sorry...

But I _am_ working on a Single Player map. You'll have to wait for the next contest... :|

It's OK, though! If I happen to be a poor map maker, then nothing of value would've been lost. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back