Isn't the Hall of Fame a little too restrictive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would almost agree, but Vulcan Forge should have its lava updated to the 2.0 lava system and have the solid layer removed as it's not longer needed.

I feel the Hall of Fame is too restrictive. How is Mystic Realm not in the Hall of Fame baffles me. Mystic Realm has a secret zone in vanilla SRB2 and music. The impact that Mystic Realm had is great. SRB2 even had a new version (back then) that had Mystic Realm released on the same day as the version of SRB2.

A few things I need to comment about:

• I agree the name "Hall of Fame" is misleading and should probably be changed to something more appropriate. Either that or we actually make it based on fame to some degree.
  • I am rather sure that Mystic Realm will not be in the Hall of Fame. Mystic himself has stated quite a few times that it is extremely outdated and that some levels are of dubious quality. I doubt he would want his pack in the Hall of Fame. The soundtrack is part of SRB2, by the way, not part of the pack itself. It would have deserved Hall of Fame status back in the day, but we can't honestly consider it "very good" anymore. If it would, we might as well add Tortured Planet along with it, and we all know (including Fawfulfan) that it still needs more work.
  • Oceanic Cove and Botanic Serenity are both stages to be considered for the Hall of Fame. Yes, they produce some glitches, but that's an engine limitation you can't get around without dramatically cutting down the size and losing content. Both produce lag, but it's only substantial on substandard computers. It doesn't matter if the author are constantly updating it or not, the content that is there matters.

Plus its kind of not the place to give good examples of stages- a place to mention those would be in the thread you criticized why/how bad it is, which people usually don't do.
If I understand you correctly, you have a problem with people that give criticism you think is overblown. As arrogant as this may sound, please understand that the more experience someone has with custom SRB2 stages, the more aware do they become of potential issues. Nobody is trying to put anyone's effort down. Most critics here are honest and are trying to be helpful.

tl;dr Mystic Realm will not be judged on what it did in the past, at least as long as the Hall of Fame operates as it does now. It will be judged on the objective (as far as that is possible to determine) quality it has now.

Mystic Realm is to SRB2 level packs as SRB1 was to Sonic fangames. Not very good, but big with plenty of secrets and the ability to entertain.

Giving something the name 'Hall of Fame' and not sticking by the meaning of the name is contentious and shallow. XSRB2 is clearly not the most popular edit to SRB2 - as with all source-code based modifications. More appropriate additions to the section if the name is kept anyway would be such terrors as HOUSE6 and that city map.

I dont agree with that. sure mystic realm and TP arent perfect but look at XSRB2.
its much more incomplete.

Im writing to spiritcrusher but i cant quote

If it would, we might as well add Tortured Planet along with it, and we all know (including Fawfulfan) that it still needs more work.​
So you are saying that XSRB2 is complete? (I think not!) Even great, famous, unfinished wads deserve in the hall of fame.
(I have nothing against XSRB2 just so nobody gets mad.)

Last edited:
So you are saying that XSRB2 is complete? (I think not!) Even great, famous, unfinished wads deserve in the hall of fame.
(I have nothing against XSRB2 just so nobody gets mad.)
No. I'm also not saying Tortured Planet is incomplete. It's just that Tortured Planet needs more work to reach the level of quality XSRB2 has. This has to do with the development strategy Fawfulfan chose, because he decided to make filler that he can flesh out later in the places where couldn't think of anything else.

EDIT: To make it more clear to everyone: Incomplete mods and packs are okay, but their content has to be consistently good.

Last edited:
I'm just saying that I think that there are projects out there other than XSRB2 which deserve a place in the Hall of Fame. Mystic Realm is an example which leaps to mind instantly. It's possibly the greatest level pack in the history of SRB2, and yet it is somehow unfit to be promoted to Hall of Fame status? And XSRB2 isn't? (Don't get me wrong, XSRB2 is fantastic, and well-deserving of the honor; It's just that I rather contest the implication that it is better than Mystic Realm, or as popular.)

Is there a rigidly determined set of qualities that determine whether something is eligible for the Hall of Fame? If there isn't, shouldn't there be? If there already is, shouldn't it be available for everyone on the message board to read? It seems to me that the Hall of Fame is very ill-defined right now, and the fact that only one thing is in there seems to reflect excessive exclusivity.
Ok, you're all going to hate me for this:
I dislike Mystic Realm. A lot. I, personally, think there are too many hazards and enemies. A lot of the levels are maze like, for another thing.

That aside, I think Tortured Planet deserves a spot. It's fun, has lots of gimmicks, the level design is great, etc. The only bad this about is that it's not in the Hall of Fame.

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Incomplete mods and packs are okay, but their content has to be consistently good.
I hope Fawfulfan doesn't lose his level making genius then.

I give you too many enemies and maze-like, but too many hazards? Not really.

Chaotic Chao, we've been over this already. Tortured Planet should not be in the Hall of Fame. It is not consistently good enough.

Mystic Realm is the first mod applying a new way of collecting the emeralds. It was really better than the true SRB2, though, in that era (1.09.4). It deserves a little credit :)

Shouldn't this topic be moved to the Colosseum?

A few things I need to comment about:

• I agree the name "Hall of Fame" is misleading and should probably be changed to something more appropriate. Either that or we actually make it based on fame to some degree.
Well, how about we rename it "The Best Of" or something?

No, this also implies that Tortured Planet is the "best" because there's literally nothing else (aside from 1.09 ports).

Well, if there's nothing better, than doesn't that make it the best anyways? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back