SRB2 Metal Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question, though. Why is Doom Ship in Dark City 3's stead, when we know the latter will exist? What was the idea?

I have no clue. I'm pretty sure that MAINCFG has been around almost forever. It just hasn't been updated. There will be a DCZ3.

You guys don't seem to really get the process here. The final level order is as follows for the main game:

Greenflower (3 acts)
Techno Hill (3 acts)
Deep Sea (3 acts)
Castle Eggman (3 acts)
Arid Canyon (3 acts)
Red Volcano (3 acts)
Dark City (3 acts)
Eggrock (3 acts)

Final Fight is the name of the obligatory Super Sonic exclusive stage at the end of the game. Should it get made, it will obviously only contain 1 act and go after ERZ3.

Doomship was actually canned a long time ago. It may come back under a different name, but the priority is on other stages now because of the similarity of Doomship to THZ and ERZ.

Mine Maze and Rocky Mountain were canned long ago. The ideas and designs for the stages were merged into Arid Canyon. The stuff you see in Arid Canyon 1 now are mostly the gimmicks designed for Rocky Mountain Zone, with some of Mine Maze mixed in. The reason for this change is that Mine Maze and Rocky Mountain really didn't have enough content for a full, 3 act zone, but combined the ideas are more than enough.

Zone transitions were actually designed for most of the stages originally, but because we aren't actually going to have them in-game, we have not made them for the changed level order in the final. Don't worry about the logic behind the level progression; as mentioned before, the level rotation in Sonic 1, 2, and CD has no transition and nobody questioned that. Why question it in SRB2?

Finally, data mining the stuff in the MAINCFG or even just the data in srb2.srb is not likely to provide you with any good information about future versions. The reason is that often that MAINCFG data was written ages ago and was just copy-pasted, and the data in srb2.srb is influenced by my old policy to include anything we have in the IWAD regardless of whether or not we're going to use it, to allow modders to use it if they'd like to.

Not even that, glaber. MAINCFG is frequently written in with garbage data just to placehold, or other information is placed in there as a dev joke or other useless reasons.

There was never a time when Dark City was planned to have 2 acts, yet that's what the MAINCFG says. I would take anything you see in there with a grain of salt.

The most you can get of the "past" by looking at the MAINCFG is a combination of old, temporary ideas and placeholders.

BMZ is an old idea to solve AJ's level designer's block. Because he was out of ideas for RVZ2, the plan was to make a different zone instead of RVZ2 to have more ideas for level design.

You must understand that most of the MAINCFG was written back when we hadn't made the Sky Sanctuary team yet. Before we created SS, we had about 3-4 people on the team, and only really AJ was making the single player campaign. As an example, ERZ1 is entirely AJ's work, and DSZ2 is mostly AJ's work with some copy-paste from other, earlier versions of DSZ. The implication was that pretty much either AJ or me was going to have to complete the entire game, so we started making major cuts to the game. Doomship died off first, and a lot of other things were put on the chopping block. The assumption was that the stuff on that listing wouldn't all be completed, after all.

Once we got an actual team together, we stopped worrying about cutting stuff, but that's why you see a lot of incorrect information in old data.

Don't worry about the logic behind the level progression; as mentioned before, the level rotation in Sonic 1, 2, and CD has no transition and nobody questioned that. Why question it in SRB2?
Classic games having a problem isn't an excuse for SRB2 having them as well.

It's not a problem, though. Level transitions in platformers are generally non-existent. Most games simply didn't worry about why the ice stage is next to the fire stage, or what meaning there was behind it. Players just assumed that when you beat a level you'd go to a new, differently themed level because a game with levels that all looked the same would be boring.

Sonic 3K went the extra mile to justify the level transitions by providing small cutscenes between them. I will note quite a few of those transitions they used really don't make any sense, either. Look at the transition between Hydrocity and Marble Garden, for example. These transitions were quite fondly remembered because they gave a little more justification for the levels, but in all honesty they're just short little cutscenes. They're nice to have, but completely unnecessary.

SRB2 COULD do this if we wanted to, but personally I think this is clearly effort that's better spent on far more important things, like level design and actual gameplay, not cutscenes.

Just think up other ideas for Doomship Zone, the level sounds like it would be pretty cool. Maybe it should be a one act level with a boss at the end like the Blue Heaven levels. That's what I always thought it to be.

We actually have some cool ideas for Grand Eggship, which is what Doomship would be renamed to if actually implemented (to avoid the DSZ/DSZ issue while still being a cheesy name Sonikku made in 1998.), but it's simply low priority. Completing CEZ, ACZ, RVZ is highest priority. DCZ is next, THEN GEZ might get made. It's important as a team to prioritize things so the most important content actually gets made.

Castle Eggman's name was made for Demo 4 by Sonikku himself, as it was intended to be a demo-only zone originally.

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember where Arid Canyon's name came from, but the objective when naming it was to keep with the simple zone names that SRB2's main game has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back