Anticipations of SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

light the elementa

Elementa Forever!
This isn't the best title for this thread...but, I couldn't think of anything else.
Way back when, I made a thread asking about certain elements of past Sonic games being in this one. For example, whenever you hit a spring in SA or SA2, you'd fly in a straight path to either the next spring or to a platform. However, in SRB2, you hit the spring and control where you want to go (if you understand what I mean, feel free to explain it better :P)

Springs don't work like this. At all. They're objects that are set to go to a determiend height and (if diagonal) distance. What you're asking is to basically make hundreds of springs so that you don't have to do anything that involves actually playing the game. Sure, there are spring chains that do the work for you like in GFZ2, but not EVERY spring needs to follow this process.

Last edited:
In a Sonic game, there are various factors that affect how Sonic moves about. Existing X momentum, existing Y momentum, existing Z momentum, gravity, and the ways a player may alter these. In SRB2, vertical springs eliminate current Y momentum and set it to a certain value of their choice. Diagonal springs alter the X and Z momentum in addition, taking away everything that you had worked for. However, at least in SRB2, you may move about freely in the air after being launched. SA1 got rid of gravity while on springs, so you didn't decelerate until after you got to a certain point. Combine this with SRB2's diagonal springs, and you end up with something that almost completely gets rid of the idea that you're playing a game. SA2 got rid of player control in addition to all the previous factors, making it the worst of all these. What can you do in the air besides wait for the spring to unlock your controls? You're not playing a game, you're waiting while it plays itself.

A lot of level designers in SRB2 still use springs so that you're supposed to go from one spring straight into another. If I walk into a spring, I can never release forwards quickly enough in order to take the diagonal spring without changing my momentum. To remedy this, I either spindash or thok into a diagonal spring so I'm not pressing anything when I'm in the air. I can see why some might want to have control taken away from them so that they wouldn't screw up the spring designs.

See GFZ2.

It's true. Sometimes I'm entirely annoyed by how running into a spring throws you off from the pattern the springs create. I liked when it would get you to the next spring. Back then the springs were gimmicks just like loops, you would simply run/spring through certain sections automatically, this makes for faster gameplay.

To give my two cents, I love the physics of SRB2 springs, and more so than the spring physics in other Sonic games. If you are careful, the springs will still get you where you want, and as long as you stand still the springs still act as an automatic conveyance. So I don't really understand all of this fuss.

Well the fuss is when you run into a spring, someones just running into it throws you off enough to have to move in midair to recover and get to the next spring. Like the plain vertical springs with this but diagonal springs can get annoying.

So... Release the run key before you hit the spring? It's not like the friction in the game is THAT high. I have never had any problem with springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back