• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Castle de Space Beta! (Possible 56K problems)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpaceKGreen

Neon Knight
ololz ths is my 1rst map nd if u dont like dun dl *SHOT*

Ahem. Behold! Castle de Space, first beta. Although everything's in place, I still need to fix up last details, and this is where I ask you, the community, to help.

I cannot netgame.

As such, there may be flaws in this map that may occur if there's many players, that I wouldn't know about. So if somebody could arrange a netgame with his/her buddies with this map, and tell me of any glitches they find, it would be highly appreciated.

Anyways, PICS or GTFO, I know. Images ahoy!

FinishedCastleShot1.png

A much improved upper hallway. Adding random planters seems to be a surefire way of making a place look better.

FinishedCastleShot2.png

An upper room, complete with a fireplace, a couch, a fountain, and a... wierd hole in the floor?

FinishedCastleShot3.png

The main hall. Now with the promised planters, and skylights. See how much better it looks with said things?

FinishedCastleShot4.png

A fountain hall. Not much of a change, aside from the addition of yet another planter.

FinishedCastleShot5.png

A... dungeon. Seems that the remodelers haven't been down this way yet.

FinishedCastleShot6.png

Yeah, this place needs some improvement. Spikes everywhere. And what's with the glassed-in goo?

FinishedCastleShot7.png

The throne room. Not much of a change, aside from monitors and some rings.

FinishedCastleShot8.png

And finally, the courtyard. Amazing how varying the grass textures a bit instantly makes a large area more interesting. And I'm REALLY proud of the fountain.

RANDOM POINTLESS FEATURES:
= 4246 vertices, 5104 linedefs, 9729 sidedefs, 759 sectors, and 682 things.
= This is my first map of high enough quality for release. (To tell the truth, it's also my first map to actually be finished.)
= Weapon rings: Auto (in the open), Bomb (hidden), and Inf (in a gimmick)
= Some music credits:
Main theme (digital): Crystal Palace - Chase mission - NiGHTS: JoD
Main theme (midi): Hall of the Mountain King
= Map has been fully integrated into the existing match rotation. Plus some map header features from ShufflarB2.
= Some PRIME hiding spots if one is playing Hide-and-Seek.
= Finally, there is one secret hidden in this map. Can you find it? :D

Download Links:
MEGAUPLOAD link
SRB2FFH Link for great justice.

P.S. I have 2 ideas for a CTF version of this map planned for later. Might make them both.

EDIT: A special thanks goes out to Shuffle, although he wasn't involved in any way. I was testing it just now on ShufflarB2, and although it messes up the lighting, the timeofday option + nighttime = much more awesome looking castle.

The secret is near the zoom tube thing you have. Your signature.

-You can escape the zoom tube by Thokking. Clever that you made the outside a pit.
-The glass textures are messed up in software. Try whatever glass THZ2 uses.
-The teleport on the stairs seemed kinda cheap.

Chaos said:

-You can escape the zoom tube by Thokking. Clever that you made the outside a pit.
-The teleport on the stairs seemed kinda cheap.

Nope, the signature isn't the secret. It's just a cool thing I threw in near the beginning. Try poking around everywhere. You'll find it, eventually.

-I wasn't figuring on thokking through the zoom tube when it came to the death pit... Zoom tubes only activate if you're looking in the right direction. Try walking through it backwards.

-As far as I can tell, that WAS the THZ glass texture. But like I said, this is a beta. I can fix it for the final version.

-As for the teleport, well, I was going with an effect I noticed on some other maps. Otherwise the corridor would have been rather long. And I wanted an "unreal" effect there, with it being a straight line...

best level I ever played... but... I found many passages to other rooms other than the main entrances

I found the secret. Nice custom tune. =P

So, uh, yeah. This is really well done, quite surprising if this is indeed your first wad. I'm officially impressed. Yes, the basement needs quite alot of work (you should expand it to add jail cells, or something to the like - you seem to have the theme of the level nailed pretty well).

I sincerely look forward to more of your work.

This looks AMAZING! :D Lemme download it first.. (Megaupload for the loss...)

EDIT: Okay, played the wad. I love the secrets and hidden passageways, and I also found the little copyright thing in the foyer area. :P It's not often that I see a zoom tube in a level, but this one is well executed. I can't even get a zoom tube to work myself. :( The basement is neat, but why would there acid down there behind glass? I just don't understand. :P Why is there carpet behind the throne? Just looks wierd if you ask me. Lastly, USE THE FFH! Megaupload fails. To upload files to the FFH, follow this link: http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/index.php

Great job, SpaceK. I await the CTF version.

:D

Yay for good reviews. :D

Anyways, here's my current to-do list for the final version:
= Figure out how to properly add custom textures so I can replace the flags without affecting CEZ. (I'm going to take another look at the wiki's tutorial and see if I can make some sense out of it this time.)
= Fix the dungeon up some more, with cells and the like
= Figure out how to properly add custom sprites so I can populate the cells
= Add little preview picture for level selection
= Possible rearrangement for 2 CTF versions.

This looks AMAZING! :D Lemme download it first.. (Megaupload for the loss...)

EDIT: Okay, played the wad. I love the secrets and hidden passageways, and I also found the little copyright thing in the foyer area. :P It's not often that I see a zoom tube in a level, but this one is well executed. I can't even get a zoom tube to work myself. :( The basement is neat, but why would there acid down there behind glass? I just don't understand. :P Why is there carpet behind the throne? Just looks wierd if you ask me. Lastly, USE THE FFH! Megaupload fails. To upload files to the FFH, follow this link: http://www.supersanctuary.net/srpgp/ffh/index.php

Great job, SpaceK. I await the CTF version.

Download Links:
MEGAUPLOAD link
(I will upload to SRB2FFH tonight, when our internet isn't being used up as much.)

:P

Chaos said:

Yes, the same problem is in my WIP level Poison Prison Zone. I think I want to import a whiter version of GLASSTEX for it (it's 1P). If I'm not mistaken, whitish textures are more effective for transparency rendering in SRB2's OpenGL. GLASSTEX has dark spots in the actual graphic data; that's why I think it has issues.

Actually having transparency in the patch data causes the tutti-frutti effect in Software Rendering if the texture is not unpegged.

SpaceKGreen said:
Chaos said:
-As far as I can tell, that WAS the THZ glass texture. But like I said, this is a beta. I can fix it for the final version.
Only works properly if you unpeg it like with the grass, but then this means you can only have it one tile high, but that's what it's made for anyway. It might even look better like this if you make the windows like in THZ.

I'll Begin said:
SpaceKGreen said:
Chaos said:
Only works properly if you unpeg it like with the grass, but then this means you can only have it one tile high, but that's what it's made for anyway. It might even look better like this if you make the windows like in THZ.

Oh. Okay. Thanks, that revelation helps a lot. (I was going to just remove the texture and leave it as an invisible FOF.)

Guitarplaya said:
OK, this has been bugging me for ages, and I can't hold it in any longer. What's 56K?!?! 56 Kilobytes? That's nothing!

I believe it refers to people that still use 56K modems, as a warning. "Hey, this might take a while if you have a slow connection." Heck, the highest speed I had before we got satellite was 24K. Downloading a file the same size as my wad would have taken an hour or so. (It's too bad satellite absolutely FAILS for online gaming D: ).

Spazzo said:
I found the secret. Nice custom tune. =P
And that custom tune happens to be Caramelldansen Speedycake Remix by Caramell. I wondered what that song was until I found it when I looked at the songs I had. =P Nice choice you made, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back