UPDATED New sonic model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, you're using Blender, right? Well, I could never get it to export MD2s because it wanted some kind of animation file. Could you tell me how to do this?

Sky Ninja said:
Hey, you're using Blender, right? Well, I could never get it to export MD2s because it wanted some kind of animation file. Could you tell me how to do this?

That file is optional. If not included, it will just create the animation from whatever frames you have.

On another note, I would advise against exporting to MD2 from Blender. When loaded into srb2, the models have some transparent faces and messed up texturing. I export to smd (Half-life format) which supports skeletal animation. Then I open the mesh and animation in Milkshape3D, adjust the frames, and export to MD2 from Milkshape.

Thanks. It always told me it needed something when I tried to export, though. It said it had no frames, and I could never figure out how to make it.

Ashnal said:
Sky Ninja said:

That file is optional. If not included, it will just create the animation from whatever frames you have.

On another note, I would advise against exporting to MD2 from Blender. When loaded into srb2, the models have some transparent faces and messed up texturing. I export to smd (Half-life format) which supports skeletal animation. Then I open the mesh and animation in Milkshape3D, adjust the frames, and export to MD2 from Milkshape.

Sucks for me when I want to do something like this, because my MilkShape expired. XP

Ashnal said:
sonicfreak94 said:
I like the texture you've made, but the animation needs work.

How so? I think it looks pretty good fr the limited amount of frames I have to work with. Keep that in mind.

Well, he seems a little "stiff". I'd have to take another look to give you some more detail.

Well kid, a few things about the skin.
First of all, the only stylistic differences of note seem to be his shoes, eyes and darker skin.

About the skin; SONIC IS NOT MEXICAN! Besides that, the shading is odd.

Second, about the shoes; the shading is weird, and the the front of the shoes doesn't match the back. I see no reason for the insides of his shoes to be lighter than the outsides. Think about the light source that illuminates the character, In most cases outdoors (which the majority of srb2's levels take place) the sun shines down from above. This means that the characters sides should get darker as the go from flat to vertical. My original shading is an example of a light source from above. Also, why did you flatten the buckles' shading? And why is the back of the shoes a solid color lacking shading? One more thing, the bottom of the shoe lacks quality.

MS Paint will never produce quality textures. Get Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or the GIMP. With these you can tweak color values and brightness/contrast to keep the shading and darken/brighten any part you want.

The eyes look okay, but I really don't see any improvement over my own to be honest.

In summary, it needs a lot more work. Get some better tools to work with.

Ok ashnal first of all who said sonic was MEXICAN!? The buckles are flat because on "REAL" sonic's shoes it looks flat. The buckles on this md2 looks barely noticable, so when you look at it in the exe it looks fine. the shading looks ok too. now the shoes. well just like you said the sun shows down on the player, well I don't see the prob because sonic's body is pretty much shading is shoes and the shoes are metallic. but as long as it looks cool in srb2, it is radical to me.

Your texture's dark skin color makes sonic look like hes a Mexican. It's too dark. X_X Apparently you didn't get that from the first response.

Who is the "REAL" Sonic? A 2d sprite with no depth? As far as I know, buckles are a three dimensional object with a depth. They should have depth when it can be given. 2d art style doesn't fit onto a 3d model very well in most cases. This being a 3d model, I will use a 3d art and shading style.

Next, I looked at it in game before commenting, and I think the shoes shading looks off, as well as the backs of the shoes have no shading at all. By off, I mean I find it odd that the light part is all on the inside and the darkest part starts at the top and continues on the outside. Makes it seem like sonic has a light source between his toes.

Remember, criticism is here to help you improve, if people don't criticize, it means your work isn't good enough to be recognized as existing. In short, criticism means people think you can improve on a good start.

Oh, the white shoe bottoms are interesting.

Ok ok I see. So is it just the shoe and the buckle part? No the skin is just right too. In your model the skin is to bright. I kept blinking when i was editing those parts O.O -.- O.O

Take a look at sonic's skin on any of the artwork on this site, even your avatar, and you'll find that my skin is very close to that color.

Feel free to link to your skin in this topic from your NG topic if you wish.

Ever heard of shadows? his entire face is in shadow in that render. If you look at more shots by searching around, you'll find that his natural skin color is the same as it always has been, the same as the skin color I gave him.

Look at the brightest spots of his skin in the screenshots. That should be the base color, getting darker from that. Your skin color fails to accomplish the look because the shading is of poor quality. The texture is 1024, use those pixels!

I see no reason for an NG skin anyways, since my skin is fairly close to NG that the differences lie primarily in the shoes, which are minor differences anyways.

Ashnal i fail to see why you don't want other users to make skins for your model even if it is just a slight edit of the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back