Sonic Forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. This is ... disappointing. I hope there's more to the game than just the same unleashed hallway gameplay.

Well. This is ... disappointing. I hope there's more to the game than just the same unleashed hallway gameplay.

Wisps can actually make the game Challenging, Remember Planet Wisp from Generations, Just hope they will be used right, else it would become a Run and Bounce game.

I actually like how this turned out. Hopefully boom sonic is the third character

Sega already confirmed there will be no other Sonics other than Classic and Modern appearing in the game. The new character is said to be someone different. Then again, they said that about Classic Sonic returning for Generations only and look how that turned out.

Of all the names they could picked; Sonic Forces?... they could of picked Sonic Resistance or something more catchy (the stream went off on so many dodgy names for it I'm not even going to comment on that).

The gameplay look a bit of a mix between daytime Unleashed/Generations. Though I'm not too keen on the hallway linear design I'm seeing. I hope they expand the exploration and the corridor sizes more in the later levels. I really didn't want the wisps back for this, but now we got another game to put up with them. The aesthetics look pretty damn cool though.

I'm curious but also cautious at the same time. Until more details get revealed there's not really a lot more to say about it.

Last edited:
It limits the boost, which forces players to conserve it more.

Which I think is a PERFECT idea! The problem I always had with Generations was boost was always plentiful and you refilled on it by collecting rings and destroying enemies which was all the time whenever you boosted near a trail of rings or into a group of enemies. Basically, "LET'S PRESS X TO WIN". Now that they are going back to a similar boost mechanic in Colors, I think it's safe to say that Forces will be more difficult than Generations and which in this case, is great.

Sonic forces us to critically examine an Alpha demo.
But in Colors, you hade to collect those Wisps to fill up the boost gauge.
What do you think is gonna be the collectable to fill up the boost gauge?

According to the 40 second demo they showed, a boost was done just after breaking open a Wisp container. I think it's safe to say that Wisps are the main source of boost power for the Modern stages this time around. That really did bum me out at first. But the more I think about the title, the more I feel maybe there's more "forces" at work against Eggman than they're letting on. Maybe there's a good plot related reason for Wisps to reappear, and I'd really like for that to be the case. Maybe the Wisps have something to do with the third, final, and unnamed playstyle that we've been hearing about.

The hallway level design does kind of irk me, but only if that were a final product. This is still an early build, and they have lots of time to make sure the Modern stages are enjoyable even when boosting. As long as they have little to no 2D or hallway sections for the Modern stages once the game is released, I think it'll be fine. I remember how open some of the areas in Generations felt, and I'm ready to see more of that.

I'm hopeful about the Classic stages too. In Generations, you couldn't really drop into a halfpipe and carry your momentum like how the true classic games did. That absolutely needs to be implemented properly in Forces. Same deal with elemental sheilds. Same with that spindash button. They're building this game on a new engine after all, so there really should be no excuse.

EDIT:
I watched a video this morning where a dude criticised the Wisp capsules because it limited the boost. It would constrict the player to ONLY boost whenever the game said they could. It would force the player to slow down in platforming sections. Thats a fair point from him, but this is an early build. The devs needed easy and immediate access to the features they wanted to show off. It's possible that Wisps may not be they only way to boost, and that the demo wasn't being restricting to the boost, but intetionally put there to showcase the boost.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that what they showed us was probably an intro or early game level, so... take the hallway design with that in mind.

Personally, I'm just kinda tired of having to switch between two gameplay styles in every damn Sonic game, so I'm not interested in this. It would actually be more appealing if they just stuck with Classic Sonic or Modern for the entire game. That said, it'll probably be a good game; Sonic Team has had plenty of time to flesh out their formula, so it was a good move on their part to stick to their guns and build off of that.

Anyway, Sonic Mania's coming soon, so I don't really care.

Last edited:
Damn the gameplay so far looks one way sided, expect some boring gameplay and no mild free Rome like adventure 1,2 and the fan game SRB2

Damn the gameplay so far looks one way sided, expect some boring gameplay and no mild free Rome like adventure 1,2 and the fan game SRB2
Look at the beginning of Green Hill Act 2 from Generations. They're similarly designed - hallway, basics only. This is likely an intro stage like CobaltBW said.

Then we got Sky Sanctuary Act 2 and Seaside Hill Act 2 in Generations, which are very open and well-designed.

Look at the beginning of Green Hill Act 2 from Generations. They're similarly designed - hallway, basics only. This is likely an intro stage like CobaltBW said.

Then we got Sky Sanctuary Act 2 and Seaside Hill Act 2 in Generations, which are very open and well-designed.

Sky Sanctuary isn't a good reference. Its level design could've been good, but you can just press boost and cruise right over all the platforming-heavy sections. That's why I dislike boost gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrCEZdb9qI&t=22s

First footage of Classic Sonic's gameplay in Green Hill Zone that's filled with...sand. (Starts at 22 seconds)

EDIT: Also new character:

YQYpyxr.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back