A bit of some spriting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDoctor

I started to make my first every sprite that I ever made from scratch, and so far it was turning out okish, but I need some help or advice on two components of a sprite.. the hands and shoes. I simply am horrible with them. Here is the sprite I am working on:

So with that perspective, any advice on how to position the shoes or feet? I tried making the shoes like 8 times and I got nowhere near looking good. Also advice on the gloves is needed, since it looks horrible. Basically I'd like to know what methods, strategies, and whatnot on how to correctly sprite the horrors of shoes and gloves.

Just base on the gloves and shoes from Sonic/Tails/Knux/Anyone, and you're fine. Here, take a look at Sonic:

845de6e485.png

Also, what is it? A fox? A wolf? Something? How it's called? :V

Well I did use the characters to base my sprite off of it, so I can get a good idea of what it's supposed to look like, but the perspectives of all three characters compared to this one are each different. Observe; I had made a picture of the character wearing each of their shoes, and notice how unfitting it is:

Also, I have just attempted to try again, and here is what I mean the OP:

And I have no idea what species it is, and I barely know the character :p. It's Klonoa.

@doun reading the OP sometimes helps understand stuff :p

Personally, I say rework the Sonic style one to have Klonoa's actual shoes and see how that looks, as that one looks the most appealing to me out of the Sonic/Tails/Knux pics in my opinion.

Wrong. Thats EXACTLY what he meant XD
... so now just the hands. If you cant draw hands, stick to mittens.

I tried doing the same thing I did with the gloves/hands as I did with the shoes, but they are still ugly. It's the shadows and shading that confuses me with the hands.

I think I am good with the head and shoes now (noticed this while working on the second frame).

You mean something like this?:

This is your first sprite? I have to say, you're off to a good start.

Anyways, as you may know... there are issues.

First and foremost: Lineart...
See the thing here is that your sprite is currently not drawn structurally "correct." Take a look at this picture. Take note about Klonoa's ear flap length compared to yours. Yours is currently very thin and short while the other is exaggerated and "poofy." The shirt and arm positions make him look very stiff. To fix this, just reference off of Chuckles. I honestly have no idea how to say this without showing you an example. The hands are too small and are positioned kind of wonky. Just do what chuckles did except at a smaller scale for obvious reasons. The shirt length is a bit too much. Klonoa's torso is not THAT huge. The pants are good overall. Shoe positioning is SLIGHTLY off. Tilt the shoes a bit more up and you should be good. Same goes for the hat. The face looks kinda stiffy and small. This is probably due to how you drew the eyes. The eyes need to be more rounded.

2nd: Shading
You're actually pretty good on this department though there are some issues. Although you did shade, it's a bit lacking. The dark shades aren't that prominent and there isn't a light shade. SRB2 sprites tend to use 2~3 shades.

3rd: Color Contrast
This is probably the reason why issue number 2 exists. The dark shades aren't noticeable enough. This can be easily fixed by choosing darker/lighter colors.

4th: Anti-Alias.
You have none of this at all. You need this in order for your sprites to look clean. This one is kind of tricky for me to explain so I'll let this guide cover for me.

That's pretty much all I have to say for now. If you want, I can whip up an example for you. And by example I mean I could fix your sprite or something. idk. lol.

This is your first sprite? I have to say, you're off to a good start.

Anyways, as you may know... there are issues.

First and foremost: Lineart...
See the thing here is that your sprite is currently not drawn structurally "correct." Take a look at this picture. Take note about Klonoa's ear flap length compared to yours. Yours is currently very thin and short while the other is exaggerated and "poofy." The shirt and arm positions make him look very stiff. To fix this, just reference off of Chuckles. I honestly have no idea how to say this without showing you an example. The hands are too small and are positioned kind of wonky. Just do what chuckles did except at a smaller scale for obvious reasons. The shirt length is a bit too much. Klonoa's torso is not THAT huge. The pants are good overall. Shoe positioning is SLIGHTLY off. Tilt the shoes a bit more up and you should be good. Same goes for the hat. The face looks kinda stiffy and small. This is probably due to how you drew the eyes. The eyes need to be more rounded.

2nd: Shading
You're actually pretty good on this department though there are some issues. Although you did shade, it's a bit lacking. The dark shades aren't that prominent and there isn't a light shade. SRB2 sprites tend to use 2~3 shades.

3rd: Color Contrast
This is probably the reason why issue number 2 exists. The dark shades aren't noticeable enough. This can be easily fixed by choosing darker/lighter colors.

4th: Anti-Alias.
You have none of this at all. You need this in order for your sprites to look clean. This one is kind of tricky for me to explain so I'll let this guide cover for me.

That's pretty much all I have to say for now. If you want, I can whip up an example for you. And by example I mean I could fix your sprite or something. idk. lol.

Wow, thanks for the effort in giving me exact things to work on, these kind of posts are much helpful. I will examine this post when fixing up my sprite next time I am on my computer.

And, I based the line art off of the comic book looks, and the wii 3d model. (Also, I just remembered that this isn't my first 'made from scratch' sprite, that is if you count the small Pokémon trainer sprites while modding a Pokémon game as spriting :p [and even then I didn't do much] ).

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Oh, and yes, I would like a sample of an example.

No sample of example then? Sorry if I'm rushing you. There are three possibilities, 1 you forgot, 2 you remember but pretend you forgot because you don't want to do it, and that's fine by me, you could simply tell me that, or 3 I am rushing you :p.

I'm very busy. I have a life you know :V

Klonoa.png

My first time drawing Klonoa ever. I'm 100% sure I'm off on some areas. Do better then what I did :V

EDIT: Oh yeah. Your sprite was incredibly hard to work with so I just did it from scratch.

Last edited:
Yeah there is a lot wrong with that, but alot of stuff great about that :o. I will dissect it and attempt to understand the power of the pixels. Thanks again. Also, it's odd that you have a life. Most people here don't. Including me D;

Alright, ran into some more spriting troubles with another sprite I am making, and I need help. The problem is, I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems like the sprite is not even, but it is each time I measure everything. Porqué?

You might already see what I mean by not being even, but can you figure out why? I have been questioning myself this for a couple of minutes..People around me are concerned that I am talking to myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back