Duplicate Crawla Pop-Up fails at a certain height

Status
Not open for further replies.
What, it worked? Well, it doesn't works for me. I think I have to make a video do give a proof..... .

EDIT: And here is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz_ovEdoCGw

EDIT2:

Kirblord23 said:
Pop-Up? I think you mean Pop. Anyway, it worked for me. You probably just missed.

No, it's impossible to miss the crawla with this small cube around it.......

Last edited:
I'm sure this also happens somewhere in GFZ2 and ACZ.
I, for example, get hit if i jump on the green turtle in the canyon right after the first checkpoint in ACZ, the one where the falling platform is, but some people don't.

I've had this happen to me several times while trying to make my crawla bounce montage videos. (See signature)

It usually happens in GFZ2, strangely, and no where else.

Ah, GFZ2 Crawla Clipping syndrome. This is an old, old bug, and a notorious one at that.

The issue is that between frames, objects are effectively teleported to a different location depending on their speed; if they at any point overlap, that's a collision. This is why we have maxmove, because otherwise once something gets going fast enough, it'll just start passing through stuff.

You've probably noticed however that there is no vertical maxmove, and that you just keep going faster. Once you reach a speed where your change of location between frames is greater than the size of an object in your path, you run the risk of simply passing over it. Some mappers try to get around it by tweaking heights so that stuff on the ground will be right where the player will be vertically before hitting the ground assuming the player makes a full jump.

You know, we probably should implement a vertical MAXMOVE. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.

This explain many things, but it doesn't explains why it works for ones and doesn't works for others. I didn't record a video, but I played with my friend by IP 10 mins ago, and I asked to him to make this test...... the result was, my friend killed the crawla and I got hurt by it.

You know, we probably should implement a vertical MAXMOVE. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.

Except when you bounce on monitors, at which point you don't go anywhere near as high as when you fell, or in match when falling opponents are easier to hit.

A non-capped falling speed is problematic in some cases, but putting a cap on it generates far more in the context of a sonic game. A different solution would be to perform more collision tests changing just the z coordinate when the fall speed gets high enough, much like what the game already does for linedef collision.

Last edited:
It just all depends on the position you are at when the collision test is performed.

This explain many things, but it doesn't explains why it works for ones and doesn't works for others. I didn't record a video, but I played with my friend by IP 10 mins ago, and I asked to him to make this test...... the result was, my friend killed the crawla and I got hurt by it.

Perhaps you or your friend jumped slightly higher than the other one. Believe me, it makes a difference how high you jump before you begin to fall towards the enemy.

For instance, in ACZ1, that turtle jump that gregory_house mentioned can be a bit hard to pull for some. You can't just jump all the way up (at least with Sonic or Tails) before falling, otherwise you risk missing the snapper-bounce and get hurt. Instead, jump the minimum possible (by quick tapping the jump button) so that the height you are from the the snapper is sufficient to not cause any collision issues.

If we're going to be as faithful to the classic games as we can, Sonic should keep accelerating vertically until the variable reaches its maximum range, at which point he just stops in midair. :P

I asume this is just for 1700, because I can pop bots from higher places, like 2000, with no problem. :P

Also, without the crawla hopping, a lot of great srb2 gameplay wouldn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back