Sonic Boom: A new Sonic cartoon series, coming Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it; what is so bad about the new Pac-Man's design?

Looking at it now, he just got laces on his shoes and his eyes became blue; the general design of the shoes and eyes are still the same as classic Pac-Man.

Well in perspective that'd actually be the scriptwriter/voice actor's fault, but hey, we're not here to talk about Bokko Bokko Dude, so let's move on.

This whole Sonic Boom thing feels a bit too much like what happened to Pac-Man. Good thing this is just a spin-off title/TV series tie-in and in no way a complete reboot, right?

Right?:C

It's is own series. There are couple of references on the Internet that even says this so not to worry.

I watched some gameplay of it again and it was massively disappointing for the following reason: they had Knuckles say "this is why they call me Knuckles" and it was not followed up by "unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle".

I find it odd that we got another video of the exact same E3 stuff we got, only played by people at SEGA of Japan. I guess that was meant for Sonic Toon.

And now I'm wondering about Metal Sonic since they haven't given any news about him whatsoever. He should have gotten some significant design changes too...

That's obviously not my work but it still would've been a great Metal Sonic redesign.

The Wii U game is looking decidedly average. It looks like B-minus work right now, but I do really want to see what else they have to offer later. I just think that Sonic fans are going completely the wrong way about assessing the game. It's them going "it's not SOOONIIICC ENOUGH" when it was never meant to be that in the first place. They try to argue that spinoff games shouldn't be allowed to do whatever the hell they want when in reality that is the exact point of a spinoff. As for the game itself, I think the combat looks sorta meh. It was surprising to see in that Japanese video Amy grabbing that trombone weapon from inside the broken robot, so I'm hoping that things like that will put some more depth into the combat. I do wish that boosters were not the only way to gain speed and that we could accelerate on our own, but I'm fine with the way it is I suppose. In terms of the speed sections, yeah it looks linear, but I do recall seeing a post from Stephen Frost himself saying that there will be more pathways and challenges in the future.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the game doesn't look awful, but I don't think that the demo did a very good job of showing the game's potential, because I constantly see people acting like what we've seen is the full product and we know that simply isn't true.

So, the 3DS game.

DO. WANT. This looks really fun. As weird as it sounds, I'm getting way less of a Sonic vibe from this version, for rather a Metriod and almost Mario-like feel. It's odd. But the game itself looks really fun and I hope that it does a better job overall than...well, any other Sonic 3DS game. I have to say though, that I'm disappointed that they went back to 2D after the big leaps we took with Lost World for the 3DS, which could have been an alright game if it had half decent level design.

So, that just leaves the show, and the story overall.
I FUCKING LOVE IT.
The character interactions in both the show and the Wii U game are absolutely golden. They're witty, they're funny, they're original, and most importantly, especially for the Wii U version where the characters are talking all the damn time, the voice acting is the best, the absolute best in the ENTIRE DAMN SERIES. Every line is spectacularly delivered, well written, and it fits the character perfectly. I don't know what to expect in the story for the Wii U version of the game, and honestly I'm expecting little to nothing from the 3DS game, but the TV show is a guaranteed yes.

I completely agree that we need to let the spinoff be a spinoff.

From the Wii U gameplay videos, the combat did look boring and I am hoping there is more to it than met my eye.

I'm personally excited about the 3DS version being 2D, though that feeling is probably mostly nostalgia-driven. (I think Lost World would have been much more awesome if it was less linear in overall level design, making more use of that extra dimension. Like SRB2!)

But I'm most excited about the TV show. :D

The Wii U game is looking decidedly average. It looks like B-minus work right now, but I do really want to see what else they have to offer later. I just think that Sonic fans are going completely the wrong way about assessing the game. It's them going "it's not SOOONIIICC ENOUGH" when it was never meant to be that in the first place. They try to argue that spinoff games shouldn't be allowed to do whatever the hell they want when in reality that is the exact point of a spinoff. As for the game itself, I think the combat looks sorta meh. It was surprising to see in that Japanese video Amy grabbing that trombone weapon from inside the broken robot, so I'm hoping that things like that will put some more depth into the combat. I do wish that boosters were not the only way to gain speed and that we could accelerate on our own, but I'm fine with the way it is I suppose. In terms of the speed sections, yeah it looks linear, but I do recall seeing a post from Stephen Frost himself saying that there will be more pathways and challenges in the future.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the game doesn't look awful, but I don't think that the demo did a very good job of showing the game's potential, because I constantly see people acting like what we've seen is the full product and we know that simply isn't true.

Well, here's my take on it.

The characters talk way too god damn much during basic gameplay, the music is so stock-orchestra it hurts, and the transitions between speed, platforming, and combat gameplay look disjointed from another. On top of that, the combat doesn't actually look as interesting as I expected it to be, and the speed sections look one-dimensional. Now yeah, of course this is an E3 demo, so things can change. But if your game isn't ready for display yet, you don't display your game. That's bad marketing.

For what it's worth, ProJared played this and he said it's shit, so I'm not interested.

Next time I ever get on a discussion of Boom Wii U, I'm bringing that article up because it's perfect for the arguments I get into. Everyone who defends the empty gameplay uses the "not-finished" excuse. I guess they're still adding some features to the game, but it took us until a "Japanese" demo of the game to actually see some variety other than mash Y until something dies. I'm glad they did that, but...

On top of that, the combat doesn't actually look as interesting as I expected it to be...

I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much, but if all the design choices I was once happy with all became things I despised about the game, then... what are they expecting people to buy?

And on the subject of talking, even Sonic Heroes wasn't this obnoxious with it. I mean, at least their blabbering was kind of useful until it was drilled into your mind. Here, they don't say anything helpful and a lot of it is just annoying quips from Sonic or Knuckles doing something incredibly dumb.

It also doesn't help that my main source of news for this only produces incredibly frequent "DEVELOPERS PROMISE VARIETY" which is fine and all, but show us some. I can't take your word for it because that's what gave me the disappointment upon the E3 demo.

/rantover

Holy mother of god. Too many characters. I think they are looking preety weird... at least for me. But I think that something we all need to remember from the video...

Sticks is always right.

I doubt the new characters will look as weird as their concept art, but they do seem strange for a Sonic the Hedgehog setting. Some of them feel like they are ripped straight out of Disney cartoons. :/

But the scenery in that video. I love it.

*New characters have similar proportions and general appearance to Sonic and the rest*

Fans: This is stupid! Why are all of the new characters just recolors of Sonic?!

*New characters look substantially different from existing main cast and have their own art style*

Fans: What the hell?! These aren't Sonic characters, they belong in Disney/Looney Tunes/etc.!

Poor SEGA just can't win, can they?

*New characters have similar proportions and general appearance to Sonic and the rest*

Fans: This is stupid! Why are all of the new characters just recolors of Sonic?!

*New characters look substantially different from existing main cast and have their own art style*

Fans: What the hell?! These aren't Sonic characters, they belong in Disney/Looney Tunes/etc.!

Poor SEGA just can't win, can they?

Sonic Boom's main cast belongs in Looney Tunes anyway (and that's not necessarily a bad thing); I don't see why the side cast should be any different while Muscles the Beefcake is taking up two thirds of the TV screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back