Need spriting program other than XWE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SML

I fail at programming.
I can't find a program that can sprite well that IS NOT XWE, due to the fact that XWE doesn't work on Vista.

I've heard that a lot of people use GraphicsGale, and it looks stable and useful. You'll have to have a spriter from here to tell you what they use though, as I can't draw for beans
EDIT:Ninja'd ....

You don't need transparency on SRB2 sprites. The only transparency SRB2 sprites will do is the background of the sprite, there are no degrees of transparency unless you edit the frame with a SOC to be about 50% opaque.

In which case... Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Paint
and you have your problem solved.

I guess SLumpEd will work. SRB2 WIKI FTW!

Last edited:
Yes, that was partially what I was refferring to. I was also referring to the color-by-pixel sprite editor that's built into XWE. It has a full arrangement of shades that Paint doesn't have. In order to mimic that, I'd have to constantly click Colors > Custom... and THEN set up the shade. I just can't stand that.

OHTHECOLORSWEEEEE.png

getpaint.net

I personally use Paint.net for editing and transparencies, mostly. But for things like sprites, I just use ol' MSPaint.
Also, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say "ass". No need to cover it up :P

I DO prefer Paint.NET. I just so happen to have it on my other computer. I just need sprites from a 2.0 Shadow WAD to base my character off of and I'm good to go!

EDIT: Lol at that picture in your sig, D00D!

EDIT2: Don't try and find me on any netgames. My OneCare blocks SRB2win from accessing the internetz and I can't unblock it. :(

EDIT3: This is what happens when I use Paint.NET to make a sprite head without something to base it on:
untitled-0yizjo27.png

Screw SLumpEd. I can't access the site for some reason. Overall, I'm screwed when it comes to making WADs unless I can get XWE to work.

Last edited:
...Or upgrade to 7, which may work out better :P

But really, just Run as Administraitor. That solved 90% of all my Vista issues. If you can't... Well, you'd probably lack the permits do downgrade anyway.

Erm... One problem... I Right Click > Run as Administrator and it asks for an administrator password. It also does that with program installers. (WITH AN EXCLUSION OF THE SRB2 INSTALLER) It's why I have avoided DeePsea and SRB2 Doom Builder. I don't have admin privs on my PC. I've tried running XWE in compatibility mode for XP SP2, but it still errors. Unless XWE suddenly starts working, I'm getting no WADs done.

That REALLY ticks me off, due to the fact that unless a new version of XWE releases for Windows Vista/7, Leeon's gonna be nonexistent.

Last edited:
This is all I could say, so Glaber beat me to it.

No.

Downgrading to XP would be a hassle. The easiest thing to do would be to have whoever runs your computer type the pass in, or ask for an administrator account so you can run those programs. Why change the WHOLE OS when the problem could be fixed in a few clicks? >_>

I usually use the GNU Image Manipulation Program, or GIMP. While it's basically an open-source photoshop alternative with varying quality, I can save palettes for use on indexed images and I can use layers to prevent reverting any changes should I want to edit the background without the foreground. There are a fair few techniques that the layers also contribute that help me achieve some of the effects.
I also find it handy for making full-color images or concepts that I'll later reinterpret or convert into an indexed image, due to the freedom offered by dodge/burn tool as well as the smudge tool.

Paint.net may have these as well, but I know for a fact you can choose just how many views you want to have. Normally I have layer and colormap dialogs open, as too much else would over-complicate things. Now I have nothing personally against MS Paint, but I cannot live without the keyboard shortcuts that GIMP has. (ctrl-click draws a color, space click moves the canvas, etc) Additionally, I find Paint's palette options a tad limited, though I haven't tried the Windows Vista or Windows 7 version.

As I recall, Paint.net can't save things in 8-bit color (meaning the amount of colors SRB2 uses). At least, I never figured out how to do that in paint.net.

I use GIMP mostly for the convenience of having the palette dialog box on the side and easily pick the color I want to use and not worry about it not being in the srb2 palette or not.

No worries. DooMAD suggested a thread on the Doomworld forums that completely fixed XWE. I'll have to remember to credit him in any WADs I make in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back