Software Lighting Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do i fix this? (Water texture and water sector lighting) The sector for the water has the same brightness as the sector it's in. This only happens in software. OpenGL works just fine.

Check to make sure the water's controlling sector is the same or lower brightness than the sector inside the actual level. The water will maintain 255 brightness if the control sector is also 255.

Is the overhanging shadow also an FOF? that might also mess with the light levels.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the problem. That appears to be a "water floor" in the screenshot. Just lower the bottom of the water FOF below the in-sector level to get rid of that visual quirk.

I can't really tell what the problem is from the screenshot and the explanation, since it looks like nothing is wrong? You might be talking about how the flats of any transparent FOF is made fullbright by default (very noticeable here in Geyser Gush, with the netting being unaffected by the darkness).

There's a really, really silly workaround about applying a colormap to both the water sector and the in-level sector that has an extra setting as the front middle texture (I usually use #10033, more information here: https://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Linedef_type_606). If you're confused about this explanation, don't worry, even when I try doing it I can only get it to work about half of the time. Having an additional option to turn this off has been my #1 feature request for a long time and it bothers me more than it should whenever I try doing anything with water @_@

I got it; I just darkened the fof a bit. What about the odd purple in the water texture, though? Is there a workaround for that, or do I just have to deal with it?

Last edited:
That's a result of how the transparency maps are written. You could see if other transparency levels on the water FOF look better in your map (set the linedef's upper texture to # followed by a number, from #000 to #255 - the default is #128), or if a different water flat looks better. There are a lot of things you can try, or you can just accept the blend color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back