Even More 2.1 Preview Screenshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back on emblems again: In Sonic Colours/Generations, Red Rings were listed in order of their approximate location in the level (i.e. the first listed Red Ring was near the beginning of the level; the last listed was near the end). Does the same thing apply to the new emblems?
Probably not, but considering Red Rings all look alike and these emblems don't, it's kind of a moot point.

Another problem with this is that SRB2 stages are much less linearly designed than Generations stages, making it more difficult to place emblems "in the order they appear".

Does the "absolute" pause (the one that stops the music too, and allows you access the console) still exist, or has that been merged with the new menu?
Both Escape and Pause/Break act exactly as they do in 2.0.6, it's just that the Escape menu has been dramatically improved.

In any case, is Eggscalibur actually completed? I don't hear much information on him anymore, not even in IRC.
He is completed, but he isn't fun. He needs a redesign.

Back on emblems again: In Sonic Colours/Generations, Red Rings were listed in order of their approximate location in the level (i.e. the first listed Red Ring was near the beginning of the level; the last listed was near the end). Does the same thing apply to the new emblems?
No, they don't. The reason was already pointed out in this thread: our stages aren't linear, so how do you determine which emblem is before another? Even in our more linear stages like ERZ, there are two separate paths, and ordering in such a situation would be confusing at best.

About the time-attack emblem: does each level has it's own level completion time for the player to receive the emblem? If not, one of you could just do a decent speedrun at each level to find an acceptable time to set.

About the time-attack emblem: does each level has it's own level completion time for the player to receive the emblem? If not, one of you could just do a decent speedrun at each level to find an acceptable time to set.

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be on a per-level basis. It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

By the way, assuming every level now has a "ideal completion time", is the Time Bonus now different for every stage?

I was about to ask if we were getting any new match maps.

Then I had a sudden attack of common sense and checked the wiki first.

...All I can say is HOLY *expletive of your choice*.

That's a lot of new maps. And in a public beta. Thank you guys. :D

No, they don't. The reason was already pointed out in this thread: our stages aren't linear, so how do you determine which emblem is before another? Even in our more linear stages like ERZ, there are two separate paths, and ordering in such a situation would be confusing at best.

;) But you said you'd make emblem hints, so that evens out.

What excites me most is being able to pick up emblems as any character. I main Knuckles most of the time, and it really frustrates me to find an emblem while exploring and I can't pick it up because in all likelihood it belongs to Sonic, and there's no way I'm good enough to get sonic up to that hidden location. XD

Modsbannit I spent the entire evening trying out and exploring the new match and CTF stages. I have no self control.

Seriously, I have a 10 minute presentation thing due wednesday that I've barely started and instead of doing my research on it, I'm exploring stages that are still in development!

What is wrong with me?!

PS: The stages are pretty great, by the way. The orbital hangar, granite gorge, acid factory and Techno lazer look like they'll be fun to play with other players. And it's a huge nostalgia trip to see one of my old favourites (dual Fortress) make a comeback.
EDIT: Also...The OUTSIDE of conveyor conflict......Yeah, that blew my mind. You'd have to be crazy to attempt that route.

Last edited:
May we see please?
Of course not, for two rather obvious reasons:

1. Just because he needs a redesign doesn't mean major parts of the current implementation aren't going to go into the new version. The most visually obvious part of the current implementation is still the main gimmick of the fight in the planned redesign. As Eggscaliber is one of the few completely new things in 2.1, we aren't showing you what it contains because that would spoil the surprise when you get there on release.

2. I personally have no desire to provide even more awful old stuff for you to continue your unhealthy obsession with our old, bad ideas.

ok, just a quick question though, despite how unfun the current version is, it is better than Rusty Ruin Zone's boss, right?

Is there something that is horribly wrong with the Rusty Ruin boss I should know about.

I have lots of things to say and ask about 2.1.

The emblem hints... I don´t like that idea. I´ll try to find emblems without them. (And my map pack will give hints like this: It´s an emblem in this map)

I like Time- Score- and Ring-attack emblems. An easy way to get emblems.

Can I guess what all the emblems mean?
Blue: Sonic emblem?
Red: Knux?
Orange: tails?
Green and light blue: all?
Mountains: Score attack?
Ring: Ring attack?
Grey: Time attack?

Code:
Will there be Red Volcano 2? I like RVZ very much.

Code:
Does 2.1 support [B]original[/B] special stages? I would use them in my level pack, because I hate the Nights stage idea.

Can I guess what all the emblems mean?
Blue: Sonic emblem?
Red: Knux?
Orange: tails?
Green and light blue: all?
Mountains: Score attack?
Ring: Ring attack?
Grey: Time attack?

The first five from the left are collectible as ALL characters, if with the mountain you mean the '点' mark then yes, that is score attack, and you are right about the other two.

Code:
Will there be Red Volcano 2? I like RVZ very much.

Nope, the only new stage in 2.1 will be CEZ3.

You guys can post some news in a month or two?
I'd like to see updates more frequently, and I think that one month is enough to do something cool to post, together with some new screenshots, just to we know more about the game development.

PS: Sorry if I spell something wrong, I don't speak English very well.

I've heard this from numerous people and I really need to understand why.

Some people might not like NiGHTS' gameplay, and therefore don't want NiGHTS in their Sonic. I personally don't mind it, but the old special stages will be missed for me. My only problem with it is I'm not very good at NiGHTS so I might not ever be able to get the emblems for the special stages. D:

Honestly, I hated the old special stages. Sometimes I'd find a secret area and get super excited... but then be disappointed when I found out that it was just a stupid special stage emblem, and that I was going to be spending the next 2 or 3 minutes just collecting a bunch of stupid rings in LSD-land.

Most of the time I'd just purposefully skip them.

Honestly, I hated the old special stages. Sometimes I'd find a secret area and get super excited... but then be disappointed when I found out that it was just a stupid special stage emblem, and that I was going to be spending the next 2 or 3 minutes just collecting a bunch of stupid rings in LSD-land.

Most of the time I'd just purposefully skip them.

Me too. I really didn't enjoy running around in a little box trying to grab rings desperately fast while also not falling off a platform. I eventually decided not to give a damn about the emeralds as a result, because they were that unfun. I mean, I wasn't TERRIBLE at them (I was able to get the 5th emerald), but I just found it supremely boring and frustrating to fail at.

NiGHTs gameplay is tons more fun. It's like sonic gameplay, but with flying. I have trouble understanding who would prefer ring grabbing over that... *shrug*

Some people might not like NiGHTS' gameplay, and therefore don't want NiGHTS in their Sonic. I personally don't mind it, but the old special stages will be missed for me. My only problem with it is I'm not very good at NiGHTS so I might not ever be able to get the emblems for the special stages. D:

If you're not that good at NiGHTs, it's not hard to practice. You just need to learn the course a bit, then focus on doing it fast.

It took me years to finally get all the Super Emeralds in Sonic3&K, but I eventually was able to get a handle on how the Red Sphere game worked.

I look forward to the NiGHTS stages, but I don't really dislike the current special stages either. Without a doubt, the NiGHTS stages will be more polished and of higher quality overall. However, there are still people who enjoy the old stages. Given this, one suggestion I have would be the option to "turn on old special stages" in the secrets menu (only after the game has been completed and all emeralds collected). I think that this option would satisfy those who like the old special stages, as well as providing extra bonus material for new players - all without requiring any real effort from the dev team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back