What happened to the Sonic R-esque race mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come it was removed from the newer version? If nobody knows what I'm talking about, it's that one mode with those stages such as Red Sands, Toxic Citadel, and a few others. Also, that one stage that's kinda like the new special stages. What happened to those?

The circuit race levels? They weren't included in the 2.1 release yeah. They'll probably be some seperate addon or something later on.

Has there been any mention by Developers as to why it was excluded from the 2.1 release? As I recall I've only seen one other topic about it asking why it wasn't in the game, and no mention was made of why it was removed, are the developers working on new maps and felt that, say, they wouldn't be ready for a 2.1 release and decided to keep them out to release the upate sooner? Or are they just leaving the mode out of the official game for some other reason?

Has there been any mention by Developers as to why it was excluded from the 2.1 release? As I recall I've only seen one other topic about it asking why it wasn't in the game, and no mention was made of why it was removed, are the developers working on new maps and felt that, say, they wouldn't be ready for a 2.1 release and decided to keep them out to release the upate sooner? Or are they just leaving the mode out of the official game for some other reason?
If I recall correctly, it's because circuit mode is just an unbalanced thokfest that only Sonic players can hope to win.

Pretty much what Wolfy said. The SP levels are far more suited to racing- previously, you were either thokking the hell out of Sonic or feeling restricted using the other two characters. It's not like there was a huge amount of interest in the circuit mode anyway.

I third this.

If the game mode is set to either Competition or Race, then Sonic's Thok (or any Thoking custom character) is made into a Thok-Jump. Otherwise it's standard Thok.

I third this.

If the game mode is set to either Competition or Race, then Sonic's Thok (or any Thoking custom character) is made into a Thok-Jump. Otherwise it's standard Thok.

I fourth this. I miss the old tracks. It gave the game more "flavor" in my opinion.

That or we could just nerf Sonic's (And other thokking character wads) thok in race mode, but keep it on in Co-Op, Match, CTF, Hide & Seek, and more.

Changing characters' behavior in different gametypes is a terrible idea. It betrays the player's expectations and generally just leads to frustration.

Personally, I really enjoyed the concept of Circuit; the problem is mostly just that the maps tended to be designed exclusively for Sonic's abilities. Instead of maps with a variety of horizontal and vertical variation, the tendency was to make mostly flat maps that gave Sonic wide-open spaces to be fast and leave the other two behind. That also led to maps that lacked any challenge, which is boring as hell for a gametype that's all about the player-to-map interaction.

I didn't mind playing as Sonic being a thokfest - after all, being good as a character should definitely require mastery of their abilities - but there needs to be things making thokking risky. In my perfect Circuit world, Sonic players that could thok effectively through challenges, Tails players that mastered flying quickly, and Knuckles players that knew where climbing was helpful would be on largely equal ground.

I realize SRB2Riders slowed down the thok for foot races, but I didn't enjoy that mode anyway. It was still the same flat areas as vanilla circuit, just without the ability to skip past them quickly.

Also, I didn't really like how the consensus on lap length was 20-40 seconds. That isn't enough action to really do something memorable IMO, and it'd probably be a better idea to have maps twice as long with a default of two laps instead, so that races have more variety without dragging on in time.

It might also be a good idea to weight random monitor results based on position like kart racers do, so that players in the back of the pack get more speed shoes and invincibility, while players in front will get simpler things like rings and shields. (One really nice thing 2.1 did for race is making speed shoes universally faster than thokking for pretty much every character. I'm curious to see how that would affect Circuit.)

This is why when I used circuit Race on my server, I did it the only way:

Forceskin Knuckles, Ringslinger ON, Laps 20, Friendlyfire ON.

It's hilarious ;D

This is why when I used circuit Race on my server, I did it the only way:

Forceskin Knuckles, Ringslinger ON, Laps 20, Friendlyfire ON.

It's hilarious ;D

But then it's not really a race at all and more just people trying to kill each other..

As a person who used to play tag on pretty much any map it wouldn't crash the game on, Circuit maps were something I used to use specifically for that reason. I kinda miss being able to do that and hope that they eventually come back!

But then it's not really a race at all and more just people trying to kill each other..

As a person who used to play tag on pretty much any map it wouldn't crash the game on, Circuit maps were something I used to use specifically for that reason. I kinda miss being able to do that and hope that they eventually come back!

Nah, it became more a MarioKart-esque race thing after - especially when I later modified the item boxes to (Super Sneakers: High, Whirlwind Shield: Mid, Eggman Box: Low, Everything else: Off)

And yeah, the Circuit maps were pretty good for that, actually. As much as I hate the Tag gamemode with a passion, it did have a place in those Circuit maps ;D (Especially since a lot of them DIDN'T have bottomless pits that Knuckles could abuse)

Y'know, I never really noticed it was gone. Those levels were interesting little time wasters if you got bored on a server. Even if the game was centered around thokking all the time as Sonic, it felt amazing zooming around the map seeing which person ends up at the finish first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back