SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Editing

Old 03-28-2018   #741
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
It's an objectively better sprite in terms of proportions, and I like it far more than the previous sprites, but I have a bias towards the "classic-modern" style of Sonic's design. This sprite is leaning more towards a modern looking Sonic rather than a classic one.
Well, one of my main references was the 1998/Jam Sonic design, which was right before Sonic Adventure happened, so... you're not wrong!

Old 03-29-2018   #742
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

2nd poster looks like Sonic from Sonic Advance, except no green eyes.
Old 03-29-2018   #743
XleederTH
íReremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwip-Zwap Zapony View Post
My first impressions of it are that the head kind of looks a little bit too far back (so it looks a bit like he's pushing his chest forwards or such), the visible middle spike on the head looks a little bit "odd" to me (the top of it drops 1 pixel every pixel while the bottom remains at the same height, for 7 horizontal pixels in a row, which makes it look kind of triangle-like rather than rounded to me), and it sort of looks like his right leg is straight while his left leg isn't, though I know that the latter is just because of perspective and such.

If I have to be nitpicky, his nose looks kind of... weird. The shine on the top of it sort of just looks like part of the eye behind it, and the whitness at the end of it looks off compared to the darker-coloured outline edges around all of the other colours.
And the darkish-greyish spot under the left half of Sonic's eye (meaning the one towards the right of the image) also looks off to me, as it has a colour that I wouldn't really associate with neither the eye nor the muzzle, but I get that having it be whiter could make the muzzle look too slim, while having it "skin-coloured-er" would make the muzzle look too thick. I know that there's probably not much that can be done about this bit, but the long dark strip of colour there still looks a little weird to me.

But other than that, it looks very nice in my opinion (though I can't quite remember what F. Sonic's equivalent standing frame looks like, so I'm just giving my thoughts on what I think of that sprite on its own).
Kinda fixed
Old 03-29-2018   #744
TehRealSalt
Ya Gal Sal Here (=^・ω・^=)
Judge

Honestly, I'm sorta sad. Sonic was initially made to have cute elements that act as a foil to his attitude. Eggman was designed in the exact same way, with his goofy looks that conflict with his serious and threatening traits. Later iterations of Sonic make him a one-note laid-back cool dude, and right now Eggman is always written as a complete goofball. On top of that, whenever Classic Sonic is revisited by SEGA he's made overly cutesy, because Modern Sonic's already "the cool one".

Basically, what I'm trying to say with that long-winded paragraph is that I dislike that it's starting to lean really far into the Adventure-onward direction, because he doesn't really have nearly as many cute elements anymore.
Old 03-29-2018   #745
Ultimate
a scar in time...

Sonic never seemed all that cutesy to me, at least not in his default frames. His teetering, knockback, and death frames were given the cutesy element, while his default were more on the serious side. Even in Sonic 1 he was always a pretty determined and serious looking dude. Looking at these Sonic 1 sprites, MotorRoach's most recent incarnation of Sonic is pretty close. The biggest difference between the two would probably be the position of the arms.

Last edited by Ultimate; 03-29-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018   #746
happyalm

Maybe if the spikes were more rounded like old fsonic it would look less like adventure. Though personally I don't mind the more adventure direction just cause it looks better than the old sprite anyway.
happyalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018   #747
TehRealSalt
Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate View Post
Sonic never seemed all that cutesy to me, at least not in his default frames. His teetering, knockback, and death frames were given the cutesy element, while his default were more on the serious side. Even in Sonic 1 he was always a pretty determined and serious looking dude. Looking at these Sonic 1 sprites, MotorRoach's most recent incarnation of Sonic is pretty close. The biggest difference between the two would probably be the position of the arms.
Sonic 1's are a bit on the serious side... but mostly in the facial expression. Which is fine, since that's what reads personality; the rest of him can look decently cute. Comparatively Roach's quill shapes & proportions are incredibly exaggerated in the "sleek & cool" direction.

If you still don't agree with me, I like citing this early Sonic 1 concept art as an example of what I'm talking about:

He's obviously showing brash & rude personality, but the design itself is cute. Basically, it's like North American box-art Kirby (just not as extreme).
Old 03-30-2018   #748
Ultimate
a scar in time...

Ha, not sure I've seen that specific concept art before, but I love it. Point taken.

Either way, I think Roach should continue the current look and see where it ends up. Maybe afterwards he (she?) could try a version more similar to that concept art. Keep the determined expression and the definition on the hands, but make the other features more cute and rounded.

Last edited by Ultimate; 03-30-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018   #749
MotorRoach
Top Cock
Developer

Before this thread turns into a discussion about how retro Sonic should look like, I will say that he shifted between the cute and cool look back and forth pretty often between his artworks from its given time period.

I personally felt that giving him the "cooler" looking proportioning would make better use of the size of his sprite, better match some of AJ's later artworks, and I'd rather let Tails be the cute one in this game. To do something like what Salt is suggesting, I'd have the change Sonic's proportions drastically to match the reference artwork that was posted, or just make him look a lot shorter, which would feel even more radical of a change than what I'm doing right now.

Not to say that the cuter iterations and concept artworks of Sonic are any less valid, but honestly, this is the part of Sonic's design that will get inevitably subjective. All of them are just "Sonic" as each other, and everyone will have their own view on how they think Sonic would look better. So far, just about everyone I've shown this, from both inside and outside the SRB2 community, happened to prefer the "cooler" look.
Old 03-30-2018   #750
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

I really like the artistic liberties taken with Sonic's posture and demeanor. The only thing that gives me pause about the sprite is the position of Sonic's head, which is more of a technical than a creative criticism -- for some reason it just seems off-skeleton, as if it was shoved too far back from the rest of the sprite.

As for the debate between cool vs cute, I think this strikes a good balance. I've always preferred the softer appearance of Sonic's Japanese design, but I think the extra edge that the American artwork emphasized is a useful contrast and would really show off his personality in SRB2's 3D space. This is just a great idea, IMO.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 03-30-2018 at 03:09 AM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018   #751
TehRealSalt
Judge

Of course this is all subjective. But if you're asking for opinions, then I gave my reasons why I don't like it as much as the existing Sonic.

(Actually I would cite that artwork as exactly what I'm talking about, and I think it fits the description of what I'd call a perfect balance vs what I posted, buuut this is starting to derail.)

Last edited by TehRealSalt; 03-30-2018 at 08:54 PM.
TehRealSalt is online now   Reply With Quote