SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Characters

Silver The Hedgehog - 5.1 Details »»
Silver The Hedgehog - 5.1
Developer Last Online: Jun 2018

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (15 votes - 4.67 average)
Released: 04-27-2016 Last Update: 06-17-2018 Installs: 15
Characters Scripts Sprites/Graphics

Nope, you're not dreaming, this one here is not a joke, it's the true and real Silver we've all been waiting for!

So, Silver is as fast as Tails, jumps higher, but cannot damage enemies by jumping on them. But don't worry, he has a bunch of abilities to make up for this!

Spoiler: Abilities!

All the abilities below require Psy Energy, with the exception of Float, they can't be used if you don't have more than a fifth of your energy! (The bar flashes red when you can't use them)

Float
Silver can float if you hold jump after using your double jump ability. Nothing too special. It slowly depletes your Psy energy. You are vulnerable while using it, so be careful.

Psycho Boost
Press Spin while jumping or floating to initiate the Psycho Boost. While boosting, press forward or backwards to go up or down. You can break walls in this state. If you hit a floor while boosting, Silver will start rolling.

Telekinesis
Telekinesis is simple to use, while on the ground, press Spin to lift objects, and press Spin again to throw them. If there's any nearby target, they will be locked on by thrown objects.

Match

Silver can't use weapon rings, but has his own psycho cut that fires three ring consuming projectiles in rapid succession.

Silver also has a Super Form he can use in Single Player, which negates all Psy Energy cost mentionned in the spoiler above.

I hope you will have as much fun playing it than I had making it

Special Thanks
Speedwagon for the char select and end-of-level sign sprites
STCPhoton for the sliding sprites
Snow for online testing and help with sprites
MotorRoach for testing, advices and fixing the character select pic
LJ Sonik, Monster Iestyn, toaster, JTE and Inuyasha for a lot of help with the Lua, dumb scripter I am! :)
A good chunk of the Discord Chats I sent the WAD to to get error reports.

All of those who supported me while I was making this. Thank you, I love you all!

Download Now

File Type: rar Silver_51.rar (315.1 KB, 72 views)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• This addon may not be copied, reproduced or published elsewhere without the author's permission.

Comments
Old 05-01-2018   #222
h0is
Pepperoni Secret

If he can't slide anymore, how does he get past areas that require spinning through small gaps?
Old 05-01-2018   #223
"Lat'"
Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom View Post
How can I get the old one back?
Here's a link if you want it back.
I'd avise renaming it to something else so that you don't add 5.0 by accident if you plan on using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0is View Post
If he can't slide anymore, how does he get past areas that require spinning through small gaps?
The slide was removed to free Silver's huge mess of moveset after realizing that less and less level make spinning a requirement. The only level I can think of that does require that in vanilla is the right path of ERZ1, and that can cheesed by going under the obstacle with a Psycho Boost.
Most areas that are only accessible by spinning are those for goodies (e.g: force shield in GFZ1). Given Silver's sheer power to cheese through any level and enemy encounters, it does also sound fair that he can't get access to all of that. Though the intention was mostly to simplify Silver's moveset to make it more reliable and less complicated for players to use (by moving Telekinesis to spin for instance).
If the lack of slide really becomes a problem, I'll add it back on Custom 1, but that doesn't sound necessary to me just yet.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018   #224
Sapheros
That guy that ports
Permanently Banned

Okay, I'm sorry if I'm coming onto this too strongly in advance, but why on earth are we not considering levels outside of the vanilla? Yes I want my character to at least clear the vanilla, that way the most bare players could complete the main campaign with that character, but where's the consideration for other levels outside of the vanilla, I don't think it should be the level designer's fault for not supporting a nospin character in spin related section, but it also cant be in the fault of the character programmer for not being able to support it, because a lot of the nospin characters get really clunky and cluttered moveset because of it. Like I've asked this question in the discord with really no solution outside of not using the character in that level. You know, unless you decide to play single player and can't switch characters due to requirements of being able to roll or having a spindash at 90 max (Subarashii's Night Temple). Then what are you to do? Who are you to blame? And what decisions should be made I the future to prevent this issue from arising?

Last edited by Sapheros; 05-01-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Sapheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #225
Rapidgame7
nil

Most maps take into consideration the vanilla trio.
Most characters take into consideration the vanilla maps.

You can make extra paths for characters who cannot pass a specific part of a map because of a missing low-height move, or even make a script that forces spinning.
Your map could involve a main path that doesn't require spinning and a secret path or an extra optional path that does.
There are thousands of workarounds. Not all of them involve the creator catering to a small percentage of maps whose main section has a section that is basically "spin or bust".
<Rapidgame7> AAAAAUUUUGGGGH
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #226
doom

... Why did Sapheros got banned?
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018   #227
Simon_T
Pyro the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom View Post
... Why did Sapheros got banned?
Because he wasn't giving constructive criticism recently...
He was just complaining about every addon in the MB, without giving solutions to the "problems" in the addons
Basically, he was acting like my older sister :V
Old 05-02-2018   #228
Rob
Administrator

He sent sexually explicit content to minors and is being reported to authorities. It has nothing to do with this thread. Please do not continue with asking about it, this thread should not be derailed because of this, and there really is nothing of value to add to what I've just said.

Last edited by Rob; 05-02-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #229
Biielz
My name on srb2 is Queijo

Well, we now have to throw all our items that we got with telekinesis
Quote:
this is a quote
Biielz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #230
"Lat'"
Stop it

Don't get your hopes up, this is a really small patch:

Version 5.0.1
  • Fixed Lua warnings for objects using Silver's states. (They don't have a '.player' field and that made Lua angery)
  • Minor changes to the HUD handling, not having the right ability won't display Silver's telekinesis bar, for instance.

As a side note, I've also been noticing that some people have been playing with Version 4.1 (this is even just a few posts up in this very thread), I'm mildly curious as to why that is, feedback exists so feel free to tell me if anything in the current release is admittedly worse than it was in 4.1.
Old 3 Days Ago   #231
Panda.

Oh, Extremely sorry I was dizzy that I was working on other stuff which made me forgot post a feedback, Forgot to show you this.

I just slided on the bridge stairs, when I got down I forcily got spinned, is that meant to be a bug?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20001.gif
Views:	242
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	13109  
Panda. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #232
"Lat'"
Stop it

1: This is Silver 4.1, the slide is no longer in the current release.
2: There isn't any magic way to detect slopes properly as of now so stairs will build up your speed and eventually make you spin / slow you down reguardless.
Old 3 Days Ago   #233
GreenKnight9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lat'" View Post
1: This is Silver 4.1, the slide is no longer in the current release.
2: There isn't any magic way to detect slopes properly as of now so stairs will build up your speed and eventually make you spin / slow you down reguardless.
I think that the slide should be readded, as certain maps may be impossible for Silver to complete without it, not to mention due to the lack of the Spin Jump, bosses become extremely difficult. Due to this, I had reverted to the previous version so I could actually beat levels.
This is my argument on why you should bring back the slide. (please?)
Old 3 Days Ago   #234
Ikkarou Tatsuru
派手

Quote:
As a side note, I've also been noticing that some people have been playing with Version 4.1 (this is even just a few posts up in this very thread), I'm mildly curious as to why that is, feedback exists so feel free to tell me if anything in the current release is admittedly worse than it was in 4.1.
The feedback I've collected while testing with both 5.0 and 4.1 in my servers was often that 5.0 is way less resourceful. 4.1 was sure more slow paced for having to recharge every now and then but had many ways to defend himself, and the lack of the slide is a sure handicap, even if it isn't required in vanilla stages.

While I do think 5.0 is good as it is, to balance both, I'd readd the slide, the Psycho Charge and do away with the automatic bar refilling.
[21:38] Shiron: mad facts zone
Ikkarou Tatsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Days Ago   #235
742mph
My work is never done yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikkarou Tatsuru View Post
While I do think 5.0 is good as it is, to balance both, I'd readd the slide, the Psycho Charge and do away with the automatic bar refilling.
Please don't remove the automatic bar refilling. Its absence ruined the flow of the game, and was the main reason I stopped playing as Silver entirely until 5.0 came out. If fitting under low ceilings is important to people, then sure, re-add the slide, but SRB2 is a Sonic game, and characters shouldn't have to stop dead periodically to do anything cool.

If you're taking suggestions for entirely new features, I think it would be nice if Psycho Boost was mapped to a custom button. The current method of using it - jumping, letting go of Jump and then holding it again to float, and then pressing and holding Spin - feels clunky.
Old 3 Days Ago   #236
"Lat'"
Stop it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742mph View Post
Please don't remove the automatic bar refilling. Its absence ruined the flow of the game, and was the main reason I stopped playing as Silver entirely until 5.0 came out. If fitting under low ceilings is important to people, then sure, re-add the slide, but SRB2 is a Sonic game, and characters shouldn't have to stop dead periodically to do anything cool.

If you're taking suggestions for entirely new features, I think it would be nice if Psycho Boost was mapped to a custom button. The current method of using it - jumping, letting go of Jump and then holding it again to float, and then pressing and holding Spin - feels clunky.
Would activating the Psycho Boost by simply pressing spin once in a jump as well as leaving the old method as an alternative be acceptable to you? (by the way you don't have to hold spin, only jump to keep floating)

The automatic recharge will NOT be removed, no matter what, as the flow breaking changes 4.1 instored is what I aimed to fix in the first place, and I will add back the slide & spinjump. I never quite realized this was such a popular feature among players.

Here is a planned layout for controls, feedback will be much appreciated:
  • Double-Jump: Float
  • Spin while jumping / floating: Psycho Boost (must keep holding jump OR spin, cancels otherwise. Or should it just toggle on until your energy drains entierely?)
  • Spin while standing still: Psycho Charge*
  • Spin while moving: Slide (physics might be changed)
  • Ring Toss: Telekinesis / Telekinesis throw
  • Ring Toss Normal: Psycho Cut / Telekinesis throw (ignore autoaim) if holding objects.

*Psycho Charge will no longer knock players around. The overcharge mechanic itself (which currently gives unlimited energy for a set amount of time) might be changed to simply allow to give you more energy than the maximum intended amount to give the ability some use as well, without forcing it on players.
Old 3 Days Ago   #237
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I think I'd prefer if Telekinesis Grab/Throw were on Custom 1, Cut is fine where it is but playing with a controller or my default keyboard setup, I don't like having to bind a whole seperate key just to use Silver.

Also, what sorts of physics changes would you have in mind for the slide?
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #238
742mph

I'm with Rumia that if Psycho Charge and sliding are on Spin, telekinesis should be on Custom 1, or at least there should be a console option to have it that way. Ring Toss is pretty inaccessible in my non-Ringslinger control scheme.

Quote:
Would activating the Psycho Boost by simply pressing spin once in a jump as well as leaving the old method as an alternative be acceptable to you?
That would work fine, yes. I think Silver should keep the ability to cancel the Psycho Boost before his energy runs out, but I'm fine with holding Spin throughout the Psycho Boost and releasing to cancel it.
Old 2 Days Ago   #239
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Also, I know you don't want to focus on any sort of balance for MP but could you please make it so you can struggle out of Silver's telekinesis grab? It would be super helpful for people playing against Silvers who just constantly hold players for extended periods of time during psynarchy or Thokker where they're defenseless.

A simple counter that ticks down by 1 every tic that goes up by 3 every time you press a button and when you pass a certain threshold Silver drops you would be fine.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #240
"Lat'"
Stop it

Been thinking and discussing with other people;

The other issue with reimplementing Slide (which is again barely of any use anymore) and especially the slidejump is simply that it might simply overshadow Telekinesis again; why bother using Telekinesis for anything if you can hurt enemies by jumping into them normally again. Bosses can all be defeated by boosting into them / using their projectiles against them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
Also, I know you don't want to focus on any sort of balance for MP but could you please make it so you can struggle out of Silver's telekinesis grab? It would be super helpful for people playing against Silvers who just constantly hold players for extended periods of time during psynarchy or Thokker where they're defenseless.

A simple counter that ticks down by 1 every tic that goes up by 3 every time you press a button and when you pass a certain threshold Silver drops you would be fine.
There is not any plan to change the way Silver works in Match, his telekinesis range is limited, and players already have a really long time to react and do something. Psynarchy also no longer exists as of 5.0. Better Thokker support might or might not happen (I'm not really invested into ringslinger as a whole)
Old 2 Days Ago   #241
742mph

Quote:
The other issue with reimplementing Slide (which is again barely of any use anymore) and especially the slidejump is simply that it might simply overshadow Telekinesis again; why bother using Telekinesis for anything if you can hurt enemies by jumping into them normally again.
I think that concern makes sense. I'd suggest just making the slide unable to damage enemies and having Silver jump normally out of it. There's nothing wrong with having a move that's only useful for fitting under low ceilings. I did it, at least.