Sonic 1 & 2 Taxman/Stealth Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autosaver

20SUWCq.jpg

You remember that Sonic CD port not too long ago? The one that had a ton of new features and enhancements? Well, it seems like Taxman is getting another go with Sonic 1 & Sonic 2. Both games are currently out via SEGA's emulator on the mobile platforms, but they're pretty shoddy. This new version promises widescreen, 'remastered' soundtrack, 60FPS (Original release was 50 in PAL regions + framerate lag), and more.

Could we possibly see bonus features like Tails/Knuckles being an unlockable extra in both games? How would the multiplayer option work out? Sonic CD featured enhancements like the Genesis styled spindash. Sonic 1 with a working spindash sounds pretty cool.

Sonic Retro has the administrators telling people to buy the enhanced releases. Could we be seeing Sonic 3 & Knuckles running under the taxman engine? A totally new Sonic game was even questioned.

SEGA has announced at GDC 2013 that the classic Mega Drive title that kickstarted their mascot’s career Sonic the Hedgehog will be released for iOS and Android in April. The game will cost $2.99, run at 60FPS and will include a new time attack mode, widescreen support and a completely remastered soundtrack. Android Police reports that Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is also planned for release on Android too, but SEGA didn’t give any details.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/03...1-coming-to-ios-android-sonic-2-also-planned/

I wonder if a PC version will be forthcoming... and if so, whether or not it'll actually run on the native retro engine this time instead of being a port of a port that receives no post-release support.

Fingers crossed!

I would buy it when it comes out, except it doesn't seem much to me...
I mean, I could get the same experience by using an emulator on Sonic 1 and then playing some remastered music in the background. It would be better, because I wouldn't have to deal with stupid touch controls.

Oh man, can't wait for this. I really hope it's only $.99 at release (like Sonic CD is at the moment).

edit: Launch price says 2.99. D:

Last edited:
Why are people still throwing their money at ports we've literally played all our lives and usually can for free on an emulator. Hell, if you're porting stuff do Sonic 3 & Knuckles

[have you ever been so wrong in your life that you went back and deleted a post 3 years later?]

Last edited:
Why are people still throwing their money at ports we've literally played all our lives and usually can for free on an emulator. Hell, if you're porting stuff do Sonic 3 & Knuckles

For me, Sonic 1 is my favorite of the series. I'd be more than happy paying (hopefully) a dollar to be able to play it anywhere on the go.

Several reasons.

1) Sonic 1/2 Mobile are terrible versions. The controls are awful and it runs pretty badly. The quality of the graphics and sound take a toll too.

2) Both games iirc feature limited options such as no debug menu and level selects.

3) These rereleases will add new features to the game. Spindash in Sonic 1, possible extra character support (Knuckles? Tails?), and more. Leaderboards is a nice plus with the addition of Time Attack modes.

4) New engine = Removal of speed cap, possibly less glitches, removal of slowdown, online multiplayer, etc

5) IT'S FREE if you bought the original editions. I think I grabbed Sonic 1 & 2 when they were .99 cents each.

You guys do realize that buying this would make a port of S3&K (and, while we're dreaming, a newer, better classic-style Sonic game), more likely, right? That's why you want to buy this instead of just emulating it. It's called voting with your wallet.

Yeah, and I'm voting with my wallet by not buying things I don't want. I already own multiple copies of the classic Sonic games from various ports and sources, and I don't need another one. The things I actually want from SEGA aren't things they're going to make, so I vote with my wallet by buying games from other companies who make things I actually want to play. I don't understand this "buy useless crap so I can support the company" mentality that so many people seem to have.

Porting old games is almost the only variant of "fangame" I've ever seen completed in the Sonic fanbase (lol Sonic 2 HD), whether because it is easier to rework old stuff or because some Sonic fans that are dissatisfied with the games these days only know how to look back at the old games.

I really liked Sonic 1 Megamix, but it added new characters, new abilities, and none of the characters were the same. However I only got a level into some Sonic 1 remake before getting bored with it a few SAGEs ago.

If we're talking about something that's never been ported, I would love to see Knuckles Chaotix. It's quirky and different, but as far as I can tell I've never seen an official port. Not even Gems or Mega collection have it, as far as I'm aware.

Sonic 1 is being released as a 3D Classic game on the Nintendo 3DS. Users who have downloaded the Japanese copy are claiming that there are changes in the camera (fish-eye lense) along with extra secrets being placed. Apparently there are walls that are now breakable.

It's not the Taxman port, but it is an enhanced version. New features such as spindash, 3D usage, and modified level lay out is cool.

Several reasons.

1) Sonic 1/2 Mobile are terrible versions. The controls are awful and it runs pretty badly. The quality of the graphics and sound take a toll too.
There's such a thing as actual Genesis/SegaCD/32X emulators for phones, almost on par with the ones you own on your PC. Which lets you play ALL genesis games along with Sonic, rather than some shoddy port.

2) Both games iirc feature limited options such as no debug menu and level selects.

Nullified by above point.

3) These rereleases will add new features to the game. Spindash in Sonic 1, possible extra character support (Knuckles? Tails?), and more. Leaderboards is a nice plus with the addition of Time Attack modes.

I couldn't do this with the hacks that are about 2 clicks away from google and Sonic Retro, downloading it from my phone?

4) New engine = Removal of speed cap, possibly less glitches, removal of slowdown, online multiplayer, etc

Above point about hacks being so easily accessible and less limited. The only plus I can see here is online multiplayer, which they won't do because we can't have nice things. (Also widescreen and vibration)

5) IT'S FREE if you bought the original editions. I think I grabbed Sonic 1 & 2 when they were .99 cents each.

link?

Why buy this thing when it's so easy to get the games you want, along with the fact that they've ported these same two damn games to every single platform you and your grandmother have owned. I don't see the point in 'supporting with your wallet' for what's not really worth anyone's time.

Last edited:
There's such a thing as actual Genesis/SegaCD/32X emulators for phones, almost on par with the ones you own on your PC. Which lets you play ALL genesis games along with Sonic, rather than some shoddy port.
Those emulators are not available on the iOS app store. Android I guess but they're still not as good as the smoothed out Taxman ports. The Taxman port is clearly the definitive version with 60FPS with no slowdown, widescreen, extra content, new playable characters, and more. Let's not forget the soundtrack being improved.
I couldn't do this with the hacks that are about 2 clicks away from google and Sonic Retro, downloading it from my phone?
These hacks will never match the quality of actual game programming. A lot of these hacks suffer from the limitations the original game provides.

Too lazy to find it right now, sorry.

It's out now apparently!

img2349.png

Sonic & Tails in Sonic 1? :O

Oh my gosh. Is that Ugly Knux? From those proportions, I could swear it is.

These hacks will never match the quality of actual game programming. A lot of these hacks suffer from the limitations the original game provides.

The same "actual game programming" that made Sonic 2k6 such a flawless game? Face it, any issues with the original versions are minor enough that it won't affect your enjoyment of the game in any significant way. I mean really, what are you even talking about when you say "limitations"? The physics in the older games were better coded than most, if not all of the modern games anyways.

The same "actual game programming" that made Sonic 2k6 such a flawless game?
Very poor comparison and an example of a strawman argument. Really, 06?

I mean really, what are you even talking about when you say "limitations"? The physics in the older games were better coded than most, if not all of the modern games anyways.
Do you not understand the limitations of the original hardware? Limited color, limited number of objects on screen, quality of sound, storage size, etc?

This port features new sound samples that are crisp clean, modified proportions to support true widescreen, elimination of all slowdown, a constant 60FPS throughout, online functionality, and the smoothest experience yet compared to emulators/original hardware. This is THE definitive version of Sonic 1.

SSMB is having a field day with the game.

Do you even know what a strawman argument is? Because that wasn't one. I very clearly pointed out an example that shows that Sega has some pretty terrible programmers, and that is a VERY relevant point when the subject is Sega's programming.

Do you not understand the limitations of the original hardware? Limited color, limited number of objects on screen, quality of sound, storage size, etc?

>Implying having a palette is a bad thing

Never once did I ever see Sonic 1 have too many sprites on screen at once. I remember sprite flicker in some old megaman NES games, but it was never a common problem on the Genesis.

Sound Quality? What, are they going to fully orchestrate the soundtrack? Or are they going to "remix" it and throw some ducks in? The original Genesis used an FM soundchip, and the music was designed with that in mind. What is the point of adding more sound capability if the songs aren't going to take any noticeable advantage of it?

Storage Size? Hahaha they seemed to have enough room to fit Sonic 1 on it, am I right?

This port features new sound samples that are crisp clean, modified proportions to support true widescreen, elimination of all slowdown, a constant 60FPS throughout, online functionality,

The sounds were crisp and clean on the original too. I played Sonic 1 numerous times and never got any slowdown either. There was slowdown in a few of the bad ports I've been told, but that is about all. And I don't know what sort of online functionality would actually be useful, unless they are implementing multiplayer. Wide screen is cute, I guess, but it's not THAT big a deal. We all played it as kids without widescreen and had no problem.

and the smoothest experience yet compared to emulators/original hardware. This is THE definitive version of Sonic 1.

Smooth experience is not a feature.

Last edited:
Well if anyone caress, the iOS version of the original Sonic just got updated today. Personally, I like the old app icon better.
2ezezu4e.jpg

EDIT: I just have he new port a sneak peak and man it's a much better port than the previous version that was available on the App Store. It's much more stable (doesn't crash or lag) and the menus look really neat and organized. As for the music, it's the original music still in it's good ol' Genesis form, but it's much more HD and it doesn't sound like total ass.

Last edited:
Just updated earlier today. I was quite surprised by the awesome classic throwback with the Genesis package being opened. Yes, the menus are excellent.

So far I played through two zones and I've got to say, this is the best version of Sonic 1 to date. It was great to see it as a free update. A nice gift from SEGA.

Graphics are crisp, speed caps lifted, spin dash, more characters, Easter eggs, clear music, Time Attack, etc? My day is going to be based on replaying this game.

I personally can't wait to see the same treatment for Sonic 2. Please do it for Sonic 3&Knuckles, take my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back