Colormap issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
I know this sounds like a stupid thing to be having problems with, but the colormap of one of my water blocks absolutely refuses to work, no matter what I try.

*The colormap is tagged to the water block like it should be, along with a linedef executor designed to move the water block's bottom when a button is pressed. This movement works fine, and removing the linedef executor does nothing for the colormap.

*The colormap linedef itself is in a seperate sector and is tagged to the water block and only the water block, and has the colormap #40A0FFJ in capitals as its front upper texture.

*The water block sector, the target sector, and the colormap sector all have sector effect 0.

*The only way I can get the colormap linedef to affect something is by making it a global colormap, or tag 65535.

Also, I'm pretty sure this doesn't affect anything, but the level also contains lava textures. Any idea what's wrong?

I managed to figure it out on my own. It turns out that if there's an opaque FOF within the water block, the colormap won't work.

You need to use FOFs without shadows in water blocks if you want there to be a proper colormap underneath them. You can actually see this kind of error a lot in official stages because it's pretty easy to screw that up. If the FOF is always underwater, you can also just apply the colormap to the FOF's control sector to apply the colormap to the FOF's shadow. Obviously, this won't work in situations like Tidal Palace where the water goes up and down through FOFs.

I thought if you used solid FOF with no shadow, it would work in that situation as well. I also thought tidal palace doesn't have any colormap error (zone) errors because of this fix.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back