Single Player level pack collab suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Badniks
Robo-Cop: This badnik is the city's Robo-Hood. One thing that definitely differentiate them from their counterpart is that there are multiple versions of them and sometimes they can be found grouped together in twos or threes. One version will thok after you shooting off three bullets at a time

I hope that is what you actually meant. :p

Why is that name unfitting? It's not like this is some grimdark fic involving Shadow and Black Doom and stuff. Sonic games have always been quite cheery. Anyways, ZZZ. Top that!

No, this isn't Shadow the Hedgehog we're talking about here, but the name still sounds rather unfitting to me. I won't try to force you into changing it, though, since it's your zone idea.

With the deadline for zone suggestions in 2 days, with currently have 19 suggestions to vote for. If anybody else has an idea to submit, please do! But remember, if your idea doesn't get voted in, you can still take some of the gimmicks and features that made your level interesting and integrate them into the accepted ideas to help flesh out the level pack.

However, regarding Boinciel's Arpifact Zone Zone, I wouldn't be happy including it as a full zone in the final product for a variety of reasons which I hope are fairly obvious. But after talking with Boinciel about it, this level will be included as a hidden secret instead of a level in the normal lineup to keep his work from going to waste, there's also the fact that I already know quite well from his work on SRB2SBAHJ that he can make a ridiculous idea like this work.

Last edited:
After being bugged over the last few days to post something here, I'm giving in to doing so finally... x_x

Haunted House Zone:

Yes, the final zone previously for my old, dead and probably nearly forgotten Doomsday Pack mod. Since sometime last year, I thought maybe this zone could do with a remake, and so I managed to come up with a ton of ideas for it since. Also note that this zone is supposed to be high difficulty, so obviously this zone would probably go far later in this SP collab level pack than some of the others, if this is used.

Theme:
Basically a dark deserted castle in a grim mountain/valley under a stormcloud-covered sky. Some of my current ideas for how HHZ will be set out is similiar to CEZ though:

Act 1 will take place outside the castle - perhaps in the castle's garden, or simply some mountainous path leading to the castle, with some castle-style gates and fences and such. Perhaps some areas should have a thick fog too? Though honestly, I haven't much of an idea what this act should be like exactly - not yet, anyway.

Act 2 of course will mainly take place inside the castle, but maybe with a starting area just outside the actual castle entrance. The castle itself could be on some high platform in the middle of a giant valley or pit. Perhaps there could even be pits in what might have been once giant castle courtyards within the castle itself!

As for Act 3, this could be set in some secret underground cavern linked to some part of the castle - perhaps volcanic/hellish?

Gimmicks/Hazards:

Note that most of the ideas I have here so far are for Act 2, though I guess some of these could feature in Act 1 too?
  • GUILLOTINES - basically very thin crushers. There could be two types of these: Some will continuously move about on their own, perhaps laid out in patterns; others won't move at all until you step too near them, making them immediately try to drop down to kill you.
  • Disappearing/Moving Stairs - These would work similiar to, say, that ERZ1 sideways-scrolling platform, except they shouldn't need as many FOFs nor should scroll you. Perhaps in some rooms several of these type of staircases could be over a death pit?
  • Invisible Paths - Yeah, think Hang Castle/Mystic Mansion, perhaps even with the Flames bordering them.
  • Rotating Bookcases and Bookcase Crushers - Both of these types of bookcases will of course need to be made with PolyObjects. The Rotating Bookcases shouldn't move until the player gets close enough to them, while the Bookcase Crushers would trigger as soon as you entered the room or area they would cover when moving to hit the wall.
  • Bouncy (and some Climbable) Webs! - The name there pretty much covers what they do. The giant web textures could be turned into flats for the bouncy webs, though because of a certain bug, they can't be rendered properly =(
  • Spiked FOF Crushers? - For good reason, these should use FOF spike blocks, similiar to those on the FOF crusher in ERZ2's 2D section.
  • Obviously there should be some death pits about too.
Badniks/Bosses:
One key thing about this zone is that there should be no badniks or ghosts or anything of that sort whatsoever. The danger is all in the hazards! (This is so the zone doesn't end up as some sort of joke of a horror level like how Eggmansion Zone 2 turned out (no offense, KOTE =x))

As for the boss though, I haven't any ideas for one as of yet.

Music:
As some of you may already know, I've already had a go at making my own original music for this zone:
HHZ1: -MIDI -MP3
HHZ2: -MIDI -MP3
Note that none of these are actually finished, sadly, so if I don't get these done soon (which is probably likely, me being somewhat lazy and such), just go for some other music that may fit this zone.

WADs of my own attempts at some of these ideas here:

HHZRemakeTest.wad - A test map of pretty much all of the gimmicks/hazards I mentioned earlier, as well as some fog in one part.
scr_HHZ2.wad - Yeah, I even made an attempt at HHZ2 itself, though I've basically only made a starting area here. Might be useful if you want to get an idea of where the castle is set, sort of.

I'm tempted to post more zone ideas here now, but I'll leave that for later, if ever. =P

EDIT: Forgot to add these ideas here earlier, so I'll add them here now... (Copy+Paste from later post in the topic)

Haunted House Zone - ADDENDUM:
Gimmicks/Hazards:

Both of these would probably fit best in Act 2, note.
  • Cannonball puzzles - Think of those DSZ Gargoyle Puzzles, but with Cannonballs instead. Seriously, those amazing rolling pushables are underused for anything except dull scenery. =(
  • Rotating Bookcase puzzles - An idea I came up with just last night: basically, these sort of puzzles would require you to get the Bookcases to have specific sides all facing the same direction, keeping in mind getting near the bookcases will trigger them to turn only 180 (or instead perhaps 90 or even 120?).
More Test WADs!:

These are all for the cannonball puzzles idea, note. =P

Cannonball Puzzle Test #1 - Roll over spikes!
Cannonball Puzzle Test #2 - Fill in the gaps in the path!
Cannonball Puzzle Test #3 - Use the stack to carry the Cannonball!

Last edited:
Rotating Bookcases and Bookcase Crushers - Both of these types of bookcases will of course need to be made with PolyObjects. The Rotating Bookcases shouldn't move until the player gets close enough to them, while the Bookcase Crushers would trigger as soon as you entered the room or area they would cover when moving to hit the wall.
Just wanted to add something so that people aren't confused. The bookcase crushers are sideways crushers, not your good ole vertical crusher that you get everywhere. Look at the test map, it's an amazing gimmick.

I've been developing the idea of this zone for a while, and this collab seems to be a welcome opportunity to share it.

Photonic Capitol Zone

Theme: Eggman's nightclub/Stardust Speedway-esque capitol city in the nighttime. This could perhaps be the final zone, and would probably make an interesting one. DCZ road/sidewalk textures would be used for the streets, sidewalks, and other ground-level structures, while Disco Room and various ERZ textures would be found on/in buildings. The entire city would be swarming with flashing panels, disco-style beams of light, large sheets of glass, and enormous advertisements (which would make for some interesting cameo opportunities), all in obnoxiously bright and vibrant colors. Act 1 would take place on ground level a majority of the time, as well as underground in maintenance tunnels and sewers. Act 2, on the other hand, would be spent mostly in buildings and on rooftops, with the final section inside a solar power plant at the center of the city.

Gimmicks, hazards, and ideas:
Multicolored prisms
These would be featured throughout both acts and cause some effect to be applied to the player, such as lowering or increasing their gravity (blue = low, red = high, white = normal), teleporting them (yellow), or even changing their size (orange = large, purple = small, green = normal) when the player passes through them.

Light platforms
These platforms would be composed entirely of light and would also appear in both acts. While they are transparent, they are intangible, but they can be stood upon when they are opaque. The platforms would transition between the two states either by themselves in a pattern or with switches. Switch color would correspond to platform color, and when a switch is flipped, all the transparent platforms of that color in the area would become opaque and vice versa.

Ultraviolet lights
Introduced in Act 2. These shine down from the ceiling and cause parts of the level under them to become invisible, as well as applying an odd-looking colormap to anything that can be seen. In order to navigate sections where these lights are present, there will either be grounded objects such as Crawlas on top of the invisible areas to indicate where it is safe to stand or the lights will turn on and off at regular intervals.

Lasers
Something you would expect to see in a city of light. Again, featured in both acts. Each color would correspond to an effect, with red lasers damaging you, blue ones killing you instantly, white ones taking 10 rings, and yellow ones teleporting you into traps or areas where you must kill all the enemies in order to escape.

Electric floors
Found in the maintenance tunnels in Act 1 and the power plant in Act 2. A standard obstacle, with red ones damaging you and blue ones being instant kill, as with the lasers.

Damaging liquids
Found in Act 1's sewers. Again, nothing too special. Purple slime still causes elemental damage and green slime still kills you. These liquids would often be falling and rising, making the platforming a bit more tricky.

Badniks (I might like to SOC these myself, and yes, they are possible to create without Lua)
Photon Turrets
Their projectiles follow the same color/effect system as the prisms. These badniks will be interesting because getting hit by them may actually be beneficial in some cases, depending on the projectile type.

Prism Spreaders
I'm not sure about its exact appearance, but it uses a beam of light fired into the top of an attached prism below it to create a circular shockwave of damaging laser objects.

Shock Buzzes
A yellow insect-like badnik resembling the Buzz in appearance and that flashing bug from Mystic Cave in functionality. Is stationary and vulnerable about half the time, but during the other half it surrounds itself in an electric barrier that makes it invincible and flies at the player, attempting to ram into them.

Boss
I'm actually already working on SOCing this one. The arena will most likely be located inside the power plant from the end of Act 2. The boss itself has an energy barrier similar to that of the Shock Buzzes up by default, and the exploding energy balls it launches either directly at the player or in a circular fashion (among other attacks) weaken the field. After attacking, the boss will regenerate the field to full power, unless the player is within 384 fracunits of it, in which case it will continue attacking in an attempt to drive the player away. After the boss performs 3 sequential attacks without recharging, the field will disappear completely and the boss will be open to attack for about 3 seconds before it regenerates the field. Pinch attacks include launching energy balls in both patterns simoultaneously and trying to suck the player in with a spawned Pull Point and smash them against the energy field.

Music
Act 1--Stardust Speedway Present US--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrfZTCtSDi0
Act 2--Stardust Speedway Bad Future US Sonic Generations Remix--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GcrjtbR0NI

Last edited:
Is it just me or is Haunted House Zone a terribly generic name? :P
Besides that the gimmicks are wonderful Iestyn.

Warning: terribly unimaginative level ahead

Rubber Cave Zone

The theme: A cave filled with oil because Eggman's oil refinery had a breakdown.

Basically something like Silver Cave, filled with oil which you can fall in like water that has the space countdown attribute on it. There are also bouncy walls and floors that propel the player around, as well as pipes that run through the level now and then.

Hazards and gimmicks

Rubber floors and walls: The player can bounce off of these and try to reach special places and secrets.

Suffocating oil: Oil which the player can fall in which will immediately initiate the drown countdown unless the player gets out in time.

Slippery oil: Oil that has escaped the pipes and now leaks on the ground, causing the ground to be slippery.

I don't really have much more ideas for it, but I think the bouncy floors don't get enough attention these days.

Totally not anyway similar to Toy Story Zone (working title)

To bad we can't actually have that long of a title in SRB2 (and yeah I would have the working title bit too if I could). The real name can be something like Toy Dream Zone, I don't know.

Theme: I had an idea in my brain that I never tried to actually make and would love to see it in SRB2. The basic premise is that the player is stuck in a room or house, but the room is giant with giant toys.

Enemies: Giant evil toy solders, army men, dolls and so on.

Gimmick: The player has to find a way to get out. Not sure how it can play out. Maybe it could be a sort of puzzle (not too hard to disrupt the flow). My first idea would be something like controlling an RC car to help budge open a door, but I am unsure if that would be possible.

Boss: Hmm I don't know for this one. If it would be SOCable, something like a really giant toy with Eggman in it. It would can be sort of like a power rangers bot with different styles of toys for each limb.

Last edited:
SQUISHY SQUIRMY ZONE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YXwb2jiV6o - Something with a feel like this one, perhaps?

THEME
Quite literally, you're inside Robotnik. He shrunk Sonic before Sonic could harm him ... and Robotnik ate him.
This would be a single act zone, minus the boss act. It would mainly be a vertical zone. He just ate you, and you're trying to make it down his throat without being caught by the evil germies trying to rip you apart and digest you. You then land on the intestines after making it all the way down. Strangely enough, just like his throat, the intestines are littered with gross protrusions that can be used as platforms to traverse Robotnik's insides while trying not to get too close to the actual intestine, as it's littered with evil germies that want to digest you~! The whole zone is about working your way down Robotnik's insides while constantly avoiding his body's immune system and digestive system

GIMMICKS
Flesh Platforms: Platforms that, when you land on them, give a bit of recoil and cause you to comically bounce up and down slightly before you regain your footing. This would make up the majority of the zone's platforms.
Flesh: Remember, mammals are made almost entirely of flesh and muscle. Sonic's spinning has the ability to rip through this delicate substance. If there's a high up platform and you can't reach it, spinning, instead of sending you rocketing forward, will instead work as a sort of mega jump. Spin to drill a hole into the flesh, and then let go for the flesh to rebuild itself and spring you up sky high.
Intestine Openings: Holes in Robotnik's intestines that, when you linger for too long in front of one, mysteriously suck you in, causing your rings to drain VERY quickly(10-ish rings per second) as you're being digested. Mash buttons furiously to escape.
Friendly Cells: Cells that, when found, will politely assist you by carrying you to a hidden platform, or help you taverse a particularly difficult part of the level.

BADNIKS
Red Cells: Cells that exist in Robotnik's bloodstream. They have no interest in you, really, but because they move so fast, should you run into one, you'll get hit and lose your rings.

BOSS
Stomach + Immune System
There seems to be almost no way out, until you come to the stomach. Maybe hitting it enough will cause Robotnik to throw up, taking you out of him in the process! But the Immune System sees you as a threat, and wants you out! Hey, you want the same thing! Just ... you want to be alive!
The stomach itself doesn't attack at all, and instead just plain sits still. An easy target. All you have to do is rip enough holes in it. Yet, there's the Immune System to fend off as you do so. Throughout the battle, white cells will constantly try to attack you, by firing lasers(?!) and/or trying to ram into you, dying in the process, much like a bee stinging a threat.
The arena would start as a flat round floor, with the stomach in the middle. However, once you attack the stomach, stomach acid spills out and seeps into the arena. Flesh Platforms lying on the floor would rise up and float on the acid, serving as your protection against the harmful substance.
When you finally deal enough damage, the platform you're currently standing on will be forced up with the stomach acid as Robotnik desperately tries to throw up. Your last trial is to avoid incoming enemies and platforms that will attempt to crush you as you make your way back up.

Last edited:
Not really. Although mine had a joke name I didn't intend for it to be a joke zone. I think it is high time where we had some zone ideas that are a bit out of the normal box. With an original zone idea you can do more with the zone that isn't normally seen. I think there can be some potential when the idea is executed properly. Whenever I think of a *joke* zone, typically I think that it is intentionally bad gameplay, which does not have to be the case.

Last edited:
Pirate Swamps Zone
--Theme--
Swamp area with wooden catwalks around you can walk on. Some wooden buildings in parts. Basicly SCZ1's secret area turned into a full stage.

--Gimmicks--
-Swamp Water : Hurts the player on touch.
-Falling catwalks : Pretty self-explanatory.
-Maces : Both swinging and spinning ones.
-Enemy blocked doors : You have to kill the enemy in the area to open it.

--Badniks--
Not really badniks, but rather Robo Pirates. Several versions would be included, with their own weapons and HP. Due to their strength, no more than 4 should be in one room. Again, see SCZ1's secret for an example.

Is it just me or is Haunted House Zone a terribly generic name? :P
Besides that the gimmicks are wonderful Iestyn.

Yeah, it is that generic - although amusingly noone else has dared to take the name, so eh. =P

Also, while I'm at it, I'll post some extras I forgot to add to the main HHZ post from earlier:

Haunted House Zone - ADDENDUM:
Gimmicks/Hazards:

Both of these would probably fit best in Act 2, note.
  • Cannonball puzzles - Think of those DSZ Gargoyle Puzzles, but with Cannonballs instead. Seriously, those amazing rolling pushables are underused for anything except dull scenery. =(
  • Rotating Bookcase puzzles - An idea I came up with just last night: basically, these sort of puzzles would require you to get the Bookcases to have specific sides all facing the same direction, keeping in mind getting near the bookcases will trigger them to turn only 180 (or instead perhaps 90 or even 120?).
More Test WADs!:
These are all for the cannonball puzzles idea, note. =P

Cannonball Puzzle Test #1 - Roll over spikes!
Cannonball Puzzle Test #2 - Fill in the gaps in the path!
Cannonball Puzzle Test #3 - Use the stack to carry the Cannonball!

Last edited:
You aware that when water and lava come in contact, the water evaporates and the lava cools off, right? I mean, I know that SRB2's "lava" is really stupid and I know that video games link to take artistic license with such things, but I can't think of any way to make that not come across as totally nonsensical.

I don't place creativity restrictions on my ideas.

Besides, why care about the lava not making sense when there is the much worse offender of giant air bubbles you can breathe from bubbling up everywhere for no apparent reason. :P

That still makes much more sense than lava in the middle of water.

And if there is a water zone then it better be pretty good, otherwise it would be better to have small water sections in a few levels.

I don't place creativity restrictions on my ideas.
Creative freedom is nice and all, but it shouldn't go beyond the limits of common sense.

Besides, why care about the lava not making sense when there is the much worse offender of giant air bubbles you can breathe from bubbling up everywhere for no apparent reason. :P
I don't see what's wrong with air bubbles. It doesn't matter that they spawn for no apparent reason, what matters is that they don't behave contrary to the player's expectations.

There's a popular defense argument at work here: "So what if my idea is illogical, this is a game where [thing that is impossible on earth]." That's besides the point. There's a difference between defying reality and defying the player's expectations. Reverse gravity, floating rings, floating platforms etc etc are all things that don't confuse the player when they happen despite being physically impossible on earth. That's because these concepts, while impossible, are not implausible. You can reasonably except to see things like these in the fantasy world of a video game. Lava and water coexisting happily is implausible and thus goes against the player's expectations. In video games, water typically has one or more of these defining characteristics: it can drown you, you can swim in it, it extinguishes fire. Lava primarily has one characteristic: it burns. See the problem here? Due to the characteristics that the player assumes from water and lava, he must reasonably expect bad things to happen when both come in contact with each other. In your zone idea, they just coexist happily when one would reasonably find that illogical and implausible.

I'm thinking a lot of Katmint's good ideas can be merged into Black Sea's deeper part, if it got chosen. The currents (which admittedly I hadn't considered), lava geysers, all the not funky lavawater stuff.

Also, I like a lot of Photonic Capitol's ideas. Though, the instakill floors reek of Tortured Planet. Though, the whole color and platform idea could be taken somewhere cool. But please, no DCZ textures. :x

Now, I want to post likely the last level idea I will have time to write.

Honeyhive Zone (better name, anyone?)

Theme:
Nature/Forest/Wonderland/Beehive/Flower
This zone would take place around and within a beehive. Inspiration for the beehive part coming, if you haven't guessed, from Donkey Kong Country 2's hive stages. Sticky honey, atmospheric techno (of course), and robotic bees. The first act would take place in a wonderland-esque forest outside the giant beehive. Giant flowers and mushrooms, twinkling forest sprites, and trees towering overhead. The work of Eggman's robotic hive is evident, as rivers of honey pour down the landscape, destroying all in it's path and trapping many an innocent forest creature. The second act gets into the center of bee activity itself, the hive. No more flowers, this is a place of business, with honeycombs constantly being filled and emptied, It is also home to the Deadly Drones, second only to the Queen Bee.

Gimmicks/hazards/ideas:
Well, first and foremost, honey. Sticky, quicksand honey, often used to stick our hedgehog hero's feet when we least want it. Also, a transparent kind that you find in established honeycombs and in transport. This honey is more liquid, and can flow like water. It's somewhat swimmable, much like the clouds in MonsterIestyn's Aerial Ocean Zone.
The big thing about the honey is the way it allows for platforming. Remember the snow in Blade's Frozen Hillside? Imagine a more serious version of that. The player will have to choose the correct path to take to avoid excessive jumping hindrance. It can be used as a punishment method for falling to the lower levels, which will be filled with the dehabilitating mess. Sometimes a Deadly Drone will lurk those lower levels...
The honey will also allow for some interesting vertical platforming, as the player utilizes series of slow moving sticky honey falls to progress upwards and forwards.
The liquid honey will also play it's part, as it floods rooms, allowing the player to access places they couldn't without it.
For trap floors and honeycombs, we can make writhing larvae pools. Whether just with a texture, or an actual badnik.

Badniks/boss ideas
Larvae: Ground based enemy, used to fill larvae combs. They simply attack the player in swarms. Looks like a typical bee pupa.
Standing Worker: A bee that waits in strategic locations and fires a shot at the player on seeing him. After firing the shot, the bee pops.
Flying Worker: Much like a buzz, but smarter. It moves in for the sting, and then retreats, much like the eggmobile.
Deadly Drone: The hulk of the forces. They live up to their name, and are bad to come up against. They are impossible to kill, but they are slow moving and grounded. They have poisoned jaws, and with them release a melee attack on close quarters, which (if possible or agreed to as a good idea) instakills the player. They're incredibly easy to avoid under normal circumstances, but in the grasp of sticky honey they become a decent threat.
Queen Bee: The boss. In HHZ Act 3, you face her on a honeycomb elevator. She moves around slowly, firing stinger bursts at you, occasionally doing a dash attack. At pinch, she collapses the outer combs to the platform. She is only vulnerable from the backside, which is exposed after her dash attack. I'm not sure how soccable this is. I know you could make her move about and fire, but I'm not sure about the dash attack. It's always up for change, though I have the boss arena and pinch phase planned nicely, I think.

Musical Inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqPh...d=N__W45-cRrU&annotation_id=annotation_312392
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=N__W45-cRrU&annotation_id=annotation_357248

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back