2.1 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystic Realm is decidedly mediocre. Especially Verdant Forest, Flame Rift, Midnight Freeze, and most of the emerald stages (Mudhole Karst is particularly offensive) are bland, uninspired stages that consist of repetitively jumping on platforms with a single level gimmick per zone. I then use the same idea over and over again, adding little in the way of variety throughout the stage. Mystic Realm is essentially one level with about 35 different permutations, with different textures for each zone without changing the actual gameplay.

Now, the reason it's compelling and still popular actually has nothing to do with the quality of the level design and has everything to do with the fact that it's actually complete. There's a full game there, even if a lot of the parts in it are subpar. This goes a long way toward making the flaws in my work ignorable.

Fine but if Mystic Realm is "mediocre" even though a developer made it then I don't know what to call wads like SA2B.wad

Just because a dev made it doesn't make it the "Holy Freakin' Grail."

And yes, I'd much rather play MR than that awful SA2B port.

You could call SA2B.wad trash, considering it's a port of SA2B that downright sucked (not the game, the wad).

And SWU.wad was a glitchy mess of Sonic Unleashed with random flames in some areas, almost undodgeable spikes and the 'Final Zone' being a TOTAL MESS... It is so bad me and a friend went AVGN on it (me being the Angry Video Game Pyro) And in Empire City, RANDOM PURPLE CHAOS EMERALD?! SWU.wad is WORSE than any port, even SRB2 Generations!

Since the original question of the topic has long been answered and I don't want it to become "bash WADs you don't like", I'm just going to lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back