SOCEdit in future versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seelkadoom

Fear my(Sonic)Spice Powers!
After reading Mystic's post "Four 2.1 tidbits", i think SOCEdit will be useless in the future versions, as there'll be a new type of script (LUA) that is 'better' than SOCs, but also harder. And certainly we'll have a "LUAedit" that can edit LUAs, but could/should edit too SOCs (because they're easier to edit than LUAs). The issues with some of the program's options (Edit Things, Edit Cutscenes...) are other factor that makes the SOC creation 'harder', leading to a higher number of LUAs created in the future (or not). The SOCEdit should/must not/will exist in SRB2 2.1.

If you noticed, there are some words in bold. Using the phrases with these words, you say your opinion about the SOCEdit in future versions (Example: The SOCEdit should/must not/will exist in SRB2 2.1). In any case, i think there should be only one type of scripts that includes both SOC and LUA.

They should exsist in 2.1 Because most of the things are done easier wit SOCedit.
Like cut scenes and level headers...etc.

Just a note -2.0's SOCEdit hasn't even really been updated for 2.0 anyway - it's been seriously needing an update in the first place.

SOCEdit will not work with 2.1, and it likely won't even be included.

End of story.

犬夜叉;725809 said:
SOCEdit will not work with 2.1, and it likely won't even be included.

End of story.
Well, since SOCEdit is not going to work with 2.1...will there be a tool taking its place? Or will we be stuck with having to make SOCs manually?

I had plans to make one for a while, but ... lack of motivation.

The fact that you can refer to almost everything by proper names (MT_WHATEVER, S_WHATEVER, etc.) instead of numbers in 2.1 generally makes it easier to create SOCs the old fashioned way anyway.

With Lua available now, other than trying to maintain some kind of backward compatibility, is there even any point in supporting SOC in 2.1?

Plus, SOCs a lot of simple things that would be infeasible to do in Lua, like level headers. Isn't it mainly the scripting aspect that Lua is replacing? Well actually, I'd like to say that Lua is supplementing SOCs, not replacing it.

That's the reason why i made this thread. We don't know exactly if SOCs would be useful in 2.1.
What do you mean?
Have some SOCs up to this point been awesome? Yes.
The only change is that you can make new ACTIONS using Lua, as far as I understood. So SOCs can be even fancier...

I hope I haven't just horribly missunderstood this and now I'm looking like an idiot x.x

Plus, SOCs a lot of simple things that would be infeasible to do in Lua, like level headers. Isn't it mainly the scripting aspect that Lua is replacing? Well actually, I'd like to say that Lua is supplementing SOCs, not replacing it.

For example, with level headers, I would think with Lua, you could do something like:

Map22()
{
NextLevel = 23;
MusicSlot = 21;
Weather = WEATHER_RAIN;
}

etc, etc.

What do you mean?
Have some SOCs up to this point been awesome? Yes.
The only change is that you can make new ACTIONS using Lua, as far as I understood. So SOCs can be even fancier...

I hope I haven't just horribly missunderstood this and now I'm looking like an idiot x.x

LUA is a new type of script. Scripts aren't only actions. Read also this thread:

New SOC Unlockables system in SRB2 2.1

This just turns the question about SOCs in 2.1 harder to answer. Finally: Will SOCs be used in 2.1 or not?

Last edited:
I'm not saying 'no', I just question why SOCs would even be necessary when Lua is present.

Correction done. Both you and Inuyasha said no, but about the SOCEdit, not about SOCs overall (mistake).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back