Anyone else disappointed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, for those that think ACZ is easy to get lost, believe me I completely understand. I will try to help get the two issues that lead you to believe to go the wrong way. I think I have some simple fixes that will help against both issues. It will probably be in 2.1.x though, I hope I can convince the team to put it in 2.0.2 or 3.

Biggest disappointing thing is the lack of 16:9 resolutions, this is incredibly annoying. I always have a cropped screen, like the game is positioned incorrectly, 1/4 of the screen is white... I mean the old version had opengl, worked with 1920x1080, this feels like a downgrade in usability D:. Kind of like Americas Army 3, lots of new spanking features, except broke a lot of things.

Turn on "STRETCH". in the console. That should fix the white bar issue. SRB2 is designed for multiples of 320x200. Any other resolution that isn't a multiple of that will have issues. This has always been an issue, but until just recently, it has decided to creep back out of the hole it was in.

Personally, other than the length of the levels and the game saves every time I die (when I click my save I have ONE LIFE), I liked the game a lot. It'd be nice to have animations for the archers, tho...

Anyhow, 'twas pretty awesome! Still on CEZ1, and look forward to the stages after! :D

.... Aaaaand I plan on making a stage that comes after ERZ3. :3

CEZ2 does not lag for me. I have a 2ghz Pentium Dual Core, which is funny because people with better processors got lag.

I finally got through CEZ act 2. It needs finishing up. I was surprised to see SRB2 Halloween Textures in use here. (the fence)

My complaints are not about the new features, gimmicks, or textures or any of those, what I was really disappointed by was the level design. Really, my first impressions on DSZ1 through CEZ2 were not great at all, as in, I really didn't have fun playing them straight out of the box. A lot of the time I would run into great big empty rooms with enormous lag, and almost no detail to speak of. To me, the levels lacked atmosphere and immersion. I dunno, maybe this will change once I play through the levels again or something, but y'know, first impressions last a lifetime... =/
I'll probably go into more detail about that later.
Things started spicing up when I hit ACZ though, I really loved the new enemies and tumbleweeds and scenery and everything. The gameplay was really nice, there was some great flow, and the level provided somewhat of a challenge without being too cheap. The new RVZ also rocked too, especially in the scenery department. I never expected this place to look so cool.
I haven't beat ERZ yet, but so far it's been pretty fun. I can't say I like the music though, it sounds almost too next-genish with all of its cheesy guitar solos. While a fine tune on it's own, it really doesn't fit the place at all.

All in all, my first impression was meh. Hopefully that can change soon.

Throughout this entire thread, I've been recalling one thing.

You guys complained when we pushed it back to SAGE.

Wow, I can´t believe it. I´ve been waiting for a final release during almost 10 years, looking every here and there for the next release. I´ve seen every improve from version 2 to now. And this is the first time I´ve seen people complaining that much. What did you want? GFZ and THZ gimmicks? Just plain land with easy as hell enemies?? Come on!! That´s not a game at all. You thought Techno Hill Act 2 was hard?? It was just the second zone, it was plain obvius to me that the game would get harder on every zone.

Maybe developers should have done plain levels with tons of decoration content with no new added gameplay at all, so you play all the zones the day of the release, finish it, and then say "omg! when will you release the next version". That´s not how a game works, and that´s not how a classic game work. If you wanna end this version, you will have to play, and you will die a lot. That´s how a game is suppossed to be. If it´s fun for you to end with more than 10 lives the game, ok. For many people isn´t. I´ve died multiple times in multiple spots and I´ve arrived to Eggrock Zone on my first try, not even trying to get additional lives.

This is a superb update. I haven´t seen so much variety in enemies, levels and gameplay until now. I love the new enemies. They aren´t just "oh, look, I´m here, kill me!" enemies that have been in all Sonic games since years ago. I want enemies that actually can kill me. And enemies that don´t just move towards you. You obviously haven´t played that much if you have trouble with them anyway. You can just run in most parts without even dealing with them.

Level design has improved a lot too. No more huge areas with many ways but nothing to do in them but run and kill some crawlas. These levels have taken the THZ2 kind of gameplay, and that´s really good. You can be amazed at every room with new gimmicks, and that is always good.

I like difficulty setting gone too. Come on, how many classic Sonic games had difficulty settings? It was stupid to play the exact same game with just more enemies, I prefer it this way. If you are truly a completionist, just ending the game with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and unlocking all additional content will take as many hours as a real game. And it´s not even finished.

Really thanks to all the team for improving so much SRB2. I´m a programmer and I know how much time this has taken. And it´s surely NOT rushed. Not even for this release. I´ve seen many more bugs in any recent Sonic game, but whatever.

If you want to complain, at least finish the entire game multiple times, LEARN how to play it. I suppose many of the complainers didn´t play Mystic Realm at hard setting back in its launch date. Because it was obviously harder (until the point it was a little softer in the next release). This takes time. When you have played SP like 15 hours, come to complain. And tell exactly which spots do you think are broken, because there isn´t many of them.

Sonict said:
Turn on "STRETCH". in the console. That should fix the white bar issue. SRB2 is designed for multiples of 320x200. Any other resolution that isn't a multiple of that will have issues. This has always been an issue, but until just recently, it has decided to creep back out of the hole it was in.
Thanks, that helped a lot.

Mystic said:
Well, more to the point you'd need to have it record the video/demo properly, which would be rather hard for a game that takes around 21-22 minutes executed perfectly.
srb2win -ultimatemode -record ultimateplaythrough

Also, you people complaining about SS7? It was even HARDER than that originally. Mystic had to go and nerf it.

Too bad, too, because I was vying for it to stay that way. I had beat the best time that he'd thought was possible as Sonic on it... :<

This is why people can't have nice things. :(

But yeah I raged when I sigsved at deep sea 2 and learned I had to start the from act 1.

Just finished ERZ and its definatly one of the best final zones in a sonic game, right up there with Scrap Brain, Metallic Madness and Death Egg imo, well done guys.

MattW_CFI said:
Also, you people complaining about SS7? It was even HARDER than that originally. Mystic had to go and nerf it.

Really? That is very interesting

Admin and Mods can only see my question now.

I played this when I checked SRB2's website again and got the version, I told my friend to download it with me, we got on a voice chat and SP'ed it up and I have been playing happily ever since. The small improvements and the new levels were really a blast to go through and have fun in, and despite all the "wull i wint 1 wey n ther wus no lvl variety" posts, I noticed that at pretty much every other huge section area (in the newer levels) there was a huge variety of directions where to go, some leading me backwards in a circle and others leading me to shortcuts through to mazes for puzzles to get the newly placed emblems.

I LOVED the ERZ Act1&2 and that boss after it and they both had my favorite music out of the game, but If i had any real complaints it would be the immediate difficulty change to ERZ, lol. I was blastin through, feeling like superman, then all of a sudden, im repeating the same level over for two hours (with multiple paths taken and special unique paths for each character to take designed for them in mind). I think a nice way to help it would be that the difficulty should be overall increased for each level as to not take such a huge leap. Same kind of goes for the special stages, a few changes, then at the end, my very own prismatic angel zone with moving platforms.

There were a few small things that I thought "eh" about, such as emeralds not really being hidden all that well (seen in CEZ1), the exploitability of the save system to get the emeralds, no breakable pathways hiding goodies like shields and rings (and emeralds!), the amazing water breathing fire pathing acid shield, etc. But you know overall this was a really good newer build of SRB2. I had no real complaints about the save system, it was kind of wonky the first time I used it but I understand it better now

Too bad about difficulty, good reasoning for why it was taken out but now I cant get my own gradient title, got that game on a PINCH!

I disagree with everything but the save system, that I believe should come back. But the enemies and everything are what SRB2 needed all along, and I absolutely love the new levels, especially DSZ.

And here I was, thinking this release was actually worth the five years I've been waiting for it. Silly me, right?

I well and truly hope that SSN is far too busy manufacturing children at a breakneck pace to ever have the chance to read this thread; it'd crush him to know that this was the final outcome of his 10+ years of work. There isn't a single aspect of this release that didn't either astonish or entertain me, and anyone who's been following the game for any significant period of time should have no problem acknowledging and appreciating the breadth of this release.

I thought this would be just the sort of thing that would drive me to make one final push to complete a map for this game- much as I'd been trying on and off for the entirety of my stay in this community- but now, I'm not even sure it's worth the effort when none of you chuckholes have so much as an ounce of good taste when it comes to level design. It's no wonder the modding end of the forum has been stagnating! This release was supposed to spur one last burst of creativity from us all, but it's pretty apparent now that SRB2 will yet remain dead in the water.

Holy hell, you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back