Super Smash Bros [Wii U | 3DS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
For god's sake, what is up with that retard posting 5 comments in a row that consist of "UKULELE PICHU UKULELE PICHU UKULELE PICHU PLS ADD HIM!!!"

Ugh, he sounded so stupid. For one, the Pokemon in SSB are supposed to be generic versions rather than specific ones (Pokemon trainer was the only exception so far), and so since only one specific Pichu had a ukulele, it would not fit as well. That only sorry if I offend anyone, but Pichu was terrible in Melee. He was essentially just Pikachu, except he hurt himself when using electric attacks.

Back on topic, I kinda like the Final Destination idea. It means we can still pick cool looking stages when someone gets all flustered and yells, "NO ITEMS, _____________ ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION, GUISE!!!"

Almost all the stages have a "Final Destination" version in Smash 4. So the player can play with the stage hazard or not whatever they want.
Gerudo Valley's Final Destination version.

My problem with that is that they're stripping anything that made the stage original and making it a flat plain, which isn't even what tourney-level players always want. Even Project M keeps some formation of platforms in the most flat stages. Is it not possible to keep the unique layout of the stage and just remove the most annoying hazards?

It's a step in the right direction but not enough IMO. Still, better than nothing I suppose.

Better than nothing, but still has yet to get exactly to what people want. The platform layouts were not that much of a problem compared to the most intrusive hazards that do completely break the flow of the battle. Although, I will say that at the very least there will be stages that may vary in size and either be one huge platform or a solid structure that no players will find themselves being able to go under like a mountain or something.

I do look forward to seeing how it turns out.

My problem with that is that they're stripping anything that made the stage original and making it a flat plain, which isn't even what tourney-level players always want. Even Project M keeps some formation of platforms in the most flat stages. Is it not possible to keep the unique layout of the stage and just remove the most annoying hazards?

It's a step in the right direction but not enough IMO. Still, better than nothing I suppose.

One thing to consider is that even neutral stages have some inherent biases in certain character matchups. There is in advantage to having FD only, in that the RNG is restricted to who you're fighting against and the aesthetics of the map, not how the map will distort the matchup.

I doubt neutral stages imbalance matchups enough to be a significant hindrance, but it's something to keep in mind. I'm still bothered by "1v1s are possible" though, as it implies 4-player matches will also happen. Hopefully it's just team matches and not FFAs.

Nintendo blew it. Super Smash Bros. was one of their only opportunities to save the Wii U, and they blew it. Are you kidding me.

Let me explain my reasoning. By releasing the 3DS version first, it takes all of the spotlight off of the Wii U version. Why is this important? Most people own a 3DS, and since it has a higher userbase, most will buy the 3DS version.

Then the Wii U version comes in. By then, the 3DS version will have been out 4-7 months, and nobody will want to buy the Wii U version. Thus the Wii U version will become a second fiddle for the 3DS version and won't contribute sales to the Wii U as a whole.

It's just the most stupid release decision I have ever seen. Really Nintendo. Really.

Releasing the 3DS and WiiU version at the same time could have meant even worse for the WiiU, because most players aren't going to buy both versions at once; chances are, many would buy the 3DS version because most people have a 3DS.

After Mario Kart 8 comes out, chances are more people will have a WiiU, and SSBU will come out when most of those players have refilled their disposable income. In this scenario there's a decent chance they will buy both versions of the game if they have both systems. Also holiday seasons, gifts, etc.

The other thing is that I think Nintendo probably needs more development time on the WiiU. I don't know how big of a factor this is on its release date though.

Then the Wii U version comes in. By then, the 3DS version will have been out 4-7 months, and nobody will want to buy the Wii U version. Thus the Wii U version will become a second fiddle for the 3DS version and won't contribute sales to the Wii U as a whole.

Won't contribute to WiiU sales as a whole? Why? I'm personally considering getting a WiiU just for some HD Smash. While there personally wasn't any reason for me to get a WiiU previously.. there is now. (Mario games have just been same-old since Galaxy 2, and nothing else interests me that I can't get [or don't already have] on Steam)

Also, I quite like the "For Fun" and "For Glory" rooms of random Online play - I'll probably be in the Fun rooms meself (I don't consider myself a very good Smash player, [can barely beat a single Lv. 9, nevermind multiple] and I very much like playing with items and random stages.)

Let me explain my reasoning. By releasing the 3DS version first, it takes all of the spotlight off of the Wii U version. Why is this important? Most people own a 3DS, and since it has a higher userbase, most will buy the 3DS version.

I was actually concerned about how the 3DS version would fare. In my experience the strength of Smash Bros was always the local multiplayer. In Brawl, online mode and subspace emissary were icing on the cake.

Home consoles are made more for local multiplayer than handhelds. I love Mario Kart 7 and think it is a stronger entry than MKWii, but I very seldom play it because it's just not the same playing online or against the CPU when compared to having four people playing and reacting to everything at the same time.

What Nintendo needs to do is to make both Brawl and Melee irrelevant with this game, which means catering strongly to both the casual (Brawl) and the hardcore (Melee). So far, every move they've made with this entry is achieving just that, from streamlining characters (no Sheik transformation, or Pokemon swap), to offering final destination reskins, to continuing to build on the wild assortment of items and wildcards (level bosses) for everyone else.

If SSB WiiU doesn't sell, I think it will have more to do with the market perception of WiiU than how they are marketing this game.

What Nintendo needs to do is to make both Brawl and Melee irrelevant with this game, which means catering strongly to both the casual (Brawl) and the hardcore (Melee). So far, every move they've made with this entry is achieving just that, from streamlining characters (no Sheik transformation, or Pokemon swap), to offering final destination reskins, to continuing to build on the wild assortment of items and wildcards (level bosses) for everyone else.

If SSB WiiU doesn't sell, I think it will have more to do with the market perception of WiiU than how they are marketing this game.

^^^

I already have a WiiU and I have a lot more faith in this game's design than Brawl, so I'm getting this game regardless of when it comes out.

Nintendo isn't going to make Melee irrelevant until they make a game that is outright better than it. Final judgement reserved until the new game comes out of course, but from what I've seen so far, I doubt this is it.

So a tournament for a game we haven't had any practice on. Nice, Nintendo. With all the changes they've made to the engine and character moves, it's not a tournament. This is the same as having Smash Bros N64 pros be added to Melee's Tournament roster and seeing what happens. And as a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if Mew2King joined the tourny and figures out who the new broken character is, and dominates everyone else.

It's just the most stupid release decision I have ever seen. Really Nintendo. Really.
The Wii U version will always be the superior version. If you're having friends who want to play Smash Bros, why would they choose the 3DS version when they can play it on a big HDTV? Your reasoning only applies if the 3DS version was released 6 months after the Wii U version came out. The only reason you would buy it then is if you really want to play it outside of your house, or have friends who only have the 3DS version. But by having the 3DS with you first, we get to fall in love with the inferior one first. Good move, Nintendo.

And for the new online modes, I'm glad that's there. With Brawl, I don't want to join a match and be stuck with 3 other taunters. A 4 taunt match is boring. I am now forced to wait for someone to leaVe, and hope that the next joiner is someone who wants to fight. When that happens, it turns into a 3 vs 1 fight, which is mean but kind of fun. If I want a real fight, I join a Team Brawl. The problem is, you have to get 4 players in total to fight. Otherwise it's just 1 - 3 players stuck in the Waiting Lobby. But not with the Wii U version. Now I know that taunters will be in For Fun, where they have all the items and bosses to play with, while I'll be in For Glory, actually HAVING fun.

Perhaps I wasn't clear as day. (I was)
People are naturally going to go for the lower priced version. Parents don't CARE about the improved graphics or what console it's on, they're looking for a cheaper buy. And conveniently, the 3DS version will be out for half of the year before the Wii U version comes out. People who bought the 3DS version first are not likely to buy the exact same game again. Neither are parents.
Get my reasoning now guys?

People are naturally going to go for the lower priced version. Parents don't CARE about the improved graphics or what console it's on, they're looking for a cheaper buy. And conveniently, the 3DS version will be out for half of the year before the Wii U version comes out. People who bought the 3DS version first are not likely to buy the exact same game again. Neither are parents.

You don't seem to see the big picture here Rex. Due to the WiiU version being released later in the year, most people are gonna have a WiiU by that time. Wanna know why? Because Nintendo is releasing its next biggest seller, Mario Kart 8. Nintendo been doing this kind of stuff for years, with no issues at all. Hell, back when the Wii was released. It had a very small user base due to how many casual games there was. But then Mario Kart Wii, and Super Smash Bros Brawl came out on the Wii a few years later, and badda bing badda boom, the Wii hit high sales as soon those games we're release. As I mention, Nintendo does this all the time. Plus, if you look though a bunch of peoples post and Twitters, and well any kind of Super Smash Bros 4 information. There is always someone mentioning. "I am buying the WiiU only for this game." A lot has mention that. And the same thing happened when the Wii version was released as well.

In peoples minds, they will think. "'Yay we got a 3DS version of Super Smash Bros 4!" And then when they release the WiiU version, people are all gonna be over that version so quickly. Nintendo doing it smart Rex.

Last edited:

Those same parents aren't going to buy a $300 console either, they're going to buy their child the baby-proof $120 handheld. What's your point there?

Those same parents aren't going to buy a $300 console either, they're going to buy their child the baby-proof $120 handheld. What's your point there?

Nintendo consoles are popular with kids, and they get them all the time for their birthdays or Christmas. I have no doubts saying that children make up a large amount of the consumer percentage for Nintendo. Think, if you were a parent and you knew nothing about gaming, and you were on a low budget, would you buy the 3DS version, which is cheaper, or the Wii U version, which together with the console would be 360$ total.

Or another scenario, the 3DS version has come out and you've bought your child the game. He enjoys it, but now there is a Wii U version coming out. Once again, you are a parent who knows nothing about gaming, are you going to buy your child the same game on a different console?

Nintendo consoles are popular with kids, and they get them all the time for their birthdays or Christmas. I have no doubts saying that children make up a large amount of the consumer percentage for Nintendo. Think, if you were a parent and you knew nothing about gaming, and you were on a low budget, would you buy the 3DS version, which is cheaper, or the Wii U version, which together with the console would be 360$ total.

Or another scenario, the 3DS version has come out and you've bought your child the game. He enjoys it, but now there is a Wii U version coming out. Once again, you are a parent who knows nothing about gaming, are you going to buy your child the same game on a different console?

You know, they can always say no...

Honestly, you are putting to much thought into this. Keep in mind, this is Nintendo, the same company who keeps repeating the same Mario games constantly, with barely anything new added to them. yet they keep on selling like hot cakes right out of the oven.

Heck look at the New Super Mario Bros Series, they have made 4 games out of pretty much the same material. And yet it still sells. And parents will give in as well to those kids who wants the newer released games.

Also once again, you are putting WAY to much thought into the fact, about how much a game is and if they will buy it or not. Because birthday or not, parents and even grand parents will buy some of the most expensive shit for the kids. (Not even joking) same game or not. So really, what you are saying is just a bit to much, Nintendo is also not the first company who has done this by the way. And those who has done what Nintendo did. Has become quite successful.

I mean look at the rereleased titles that has a slapped on "Special edition" on it, and being released on another console. Kids who ask for that, and parents got them it. So what makes it different for Super Smash Bros 4 on both 3DS and WiiU? Everything you have said, has been proven. Family's will go out of there way sometimes, and buy things. I know mine did when I was younger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back