Which level do you like/hate the most in SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AndyMan123, you must really hate any kind of challenge. Also, there are no "hard to get" emerald tokens in GFZ and THZ. The hardest one requires you to keep a shield that protects you from almost all hazards anyway.

This might shock a lot of people, especially those that played 1.X to death, but the intent of SRB2 is NOT to be an easy game. It is intended to be challenging. I do agree the difficulty curve could use some work, but don't expect the final to be easy. ERZ2 is as hard as intended.

I do agree the difficulty curve could use some work, but don't expect the final to be easy.

Whilst I said I disliked DSZ because it was so darn hard, I don't think it should be made easier, maybe just moved a zone or two later in the game. GFZ is easy and so is Techno Hill, and then DSZ is suddenly really hard. Just an idea.

Honestly, the difficulty spike isn't as dramatic as a lot of people make it out to be, it's just that everyone has played THZ2 to death and are used to that stage, so going from a medium difficulty stage that everyone has memorized to a medium-hard difficulty stage that nobody had played at all caused a brick wall effect.

DSZ is hard? What? :(

Anyway, my favorite level is probably...DSZ, yeah. It's so beautiful. <3 My least favorite level has to be CEZ; the unfinished-ness of it really shows up.

Honestly, the difficulty spike isn't as dramatic as a lot of people make it out to be, it's just that everyone has played THZ2 to death and are used to that stage, so going from a medium difficulty stage that everyone has memorized to a medium-hard difficulty stage that nobody had played at all caused a brick wall effect.

I suppose that's true, thinking about it. I guess I'll just have to play it a few more times, haha.
On another note, I don't overly like CEZ as much as I used to because the new version of it seems a little unfinished, although I do like the fact you have to figure out what to do to proceed to the next part of the act, as it were.

This is perhaps the most biased opinion out there, but I'll say it anyways - I can't get enough of Arid Canyon Zone. My idea of what this level would be like was almost perfectly replicated in WAD format. It's expansive enough to really feel like a gigantic canyon without having a confusing or congested layout.

I don't really dislike any SP map, per ce...I suppose if you asked me "which map would you most likely skip when playing coop?", I'd probably say CEZ2, but that's only because of its incomplete nature. It still has some genuinely good moments.

Bottom line? It's fun.

Multiplayer? I've always been a big fan of the mass majority of the multiplayer levels, so it's moreso a question of "which ones don't I like", which I can easily answer:
Tidal Palace Zone ~ Water maps do not bode well for non-Sonic players. There's a hi-res screenshot in Mystic's /image/ folder that proves my point.
Infernal Canyon Zone ~ Why are there STILL pumas on a map that clearly has locations built for lava fall sectors?
Frost Columns Zone ~ Take the confusion of Tidal Palace, add slippery ice physics and remove water, and there you go!

My preferred CTF maps are probably Icicle Falls Zone and Twisted Terminal Zone (I'm sorry, I really am biased), although the latter really does have some kinks that need to be worked on, I'll admit.

Last edited:
By the time Doom Ship is finished, I am probably going to hate it due to difficulty. My most hated level right now is Deep Sea zone act 1 & 2.

I don't think it's just that, Mystic. I agree that the difference between the level of difficulty for individual areas within stages is pretty appropriate between THZ2 and DSZ1. What is undeniable is the difference in level length. THZ2 is pretty short, and can easily be completed in under a minute. DSZ1, on the other hand, is SRB2's first really long level, and DSZ2 is even longer (I might add that DSZ2 is one of only two official SRB2 levels, the other being ERZ2, which currently has over four thousand sectors, though most of them are used in that block room). Getting through those two long acts can be pretty tiring compared to the length of any prior level.

I am not saying we should shorten DSZ...that would be a loss of content, which is unacceptable as far as I'm concerned. I'm saying we lengthen both acts of THZ. The difficulty curve appears to be imbalanced, but it's only an illusion; it's the level length curve that needs smoothing out.

I think SpiritCrusher has a good idea there.

Also, my favorite SP levels have to be DSZ and ERZ. Yes, all acts. I love underwater levels, and DSZ is just filled with secrets. However, it might need some new textures, because the current ruin-like textures look very ugly on those huge walls.
ERZ on the other hand, is filled to the brim with interesting gimmicks, great visuals, and outstanding level design. The high difficulty of both makes them even more interesting.
Also, ACZ1 is overrated. I don't really see why everyone finds it better than DSZ. Sure, it may look nice, and play decently, but the rope pulley gimmick gets overdone, and it has a lack of gimmicks otherwise.

My least favorite SP levels are GFZ1, GFZ2, THZ1, CEZ1 and CEZ2. The first three haven't aged well, whereas the latter 2 are quite incomplete.
GFZ and THZ1 are just so extremely boring to play, and I don't say this because I hava already played them a lot. They also look bad.
CEZ1 is not as bad, but it's still quite bland, and it's more Eggman's Forest than Castle Eggman.
CEZ2 is obviously incomplete, as it looks ugly and has bad gimmick ideas.

CEZ1 is not as bad, but it's still quite bland, and it's more Eggman's Forest than Castle Eggman.

Perhaps we should rename CEZ1 Eggman's Forest Zone & CEZ2 would be Castle Eggman Zone, but without a boss in between. It would give a feeling of adventure leading up to the castle. ~Or maybe it's just a dumb idea, I don't know.

Or switch CEZ and DSZ. CEZ is easier, shorter and has less secrets.
Sega did something like that with the first sonic game. Labyrinth zone was originally suppose to be the second level, but they moved it to the 4th (I think) due to the difficulty, so I don't see why doing the same here would be a problem.

The problem with that plan is that CEZ is actually getting harder as it actually gets properly built. There are plans to put small expansions on THZ1, but nothing major. GFZ, despite irritating some of you for simplicity, NEEDS to be that simple. Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone aren't big on gimmicks either for a reason, you know.

Sega did something like that with the first sonic game. Labyrinth zone was originally suppose to be the second level, but they moved it to the 4th (I think) due to the difficulty, so I don't see why doing the same here would be a problem.

Good point, although I find CEZ to be a little harder than DSZ. Perhaps someone should do a poll or something similar to find out what the general belief is on which zone is harder. I like the idea of switching the two zones, though, in the sense that DSZ is longer and so seems harder, like someone said earlier.

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

GFZ, despite irritating some of you for simplicity, NEEDS to be that simple. Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone aren't big on gimmicks either for a reason, you know.

Sorry for the double post, but I would just like to back up Mystic's point here. If Greenflower Zone was to be elaborate and complex, yet still somewhat easy, the complexity of it might put people off playing the game any further. The complex levels like CEZ should be saved for later in the game when the players are used to it. That's what I think, anyway.

This might shock a lot of people, especially those that played 1.X to death, but the intent of SRB2 is NOT to be an easy game. It is intended to be challenging. I do agree the difficulty curve could use some work, but don't expect the final to be easy. ERZ2 is as hard as intended.

Challenging =/= Cheap deaths

Flooding an area with Jetty-Syns while trying to platform is awesome. :)

The problem with that plan is that CEZ is actually getting harder as it actually gets properly built. There are plans to put small expansions on THZ1, but nothing major. GFZ, despite irritating some of you for simplicity, NEEDS to be that simple. Green Hill Zone and Emerald Hill Zone aren't big on gimmicks either for a reason, you know.

I'm not asking for GFZ and THZ to be gimmick-heavy...I'm just asking for them to be longer, with more secrets.

I have said this so many times it's really absurd: Most newer players spend several minutes in GFZ1. Personally I spent over 10 minutes the first time in GFZ2. These stages are not small, and GFZ2 is full of secrets and stuff to do. THZ1 has multiple gimmicks that it introduces, they just aren't "gimmicks" in the eyes of most people here because they've been done to death - slime and the little steam jets.

I know that GFZ does not appeal to some of you because it's easy and simple, but it really is NECESSARY to have an easy and simple introduction to the game, and that "simple" means the stages cannot really be very long.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that DSZ2 isn't really THAT huge, water just slows you down so that you can't move at your full movement speed, so it takes longer.

I think GFZ 1 should be extended a little more.

Yes, it is simple. And Yes, you can explore the level for several minutes. But... it isn't that interesting. Sonic CD has a cool intro stage. Yet, being simple at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back