SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Outdated Official Level Design Contest (2.0.X)

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2011   #61
Ultimate
a scar in time...
 
Ultimate's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Rawr View Post
Windmill Hill Zone- by Ultimate- 5/10
Dunno. Nothing too special. And there's also no wind or effect to tell you that you can actually FLY when standing near those windmills. The bridges also wen't down together if you stepped on them, which looks wierd. Oh yeah, and some of the those "bridges" were actually GROUND. How the hell does stepping on a thin road made of ground make it "fall down" a bit without totally collapsing? Also, this is kind of irelevant for contest voting, so I didn't think about it while scoring, but it's non- Silver friendly, or Rosy at Silver haters case.
Edit: The spring at the beginning which if you try to re-angle you die just came to my mind. Fixed score.
I'm not exactly sure how I would create a wind effect...maybe with an animated texture? I'm not sure how I'd make a decent looking one though...Also, there was only one bridge that went down all together. If you looked near the ends of that bridge, there were no 'posts' to hold in like the other bridges :P However, even I felt that was still too awkward. I will probably change it.
Also, which spring are you talking about? I don't think there were any that kill you...
__________________
When a person reads, that person becomes a musician of literature, playing the piece upon the instrument of his or her own imagination, expressing it through the dynamics and articulation of emotion and experience.
http://youtube.com/philipawalker
Ultimate is offline  
Old 03-02-2011   #62
Katmint
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Rawr View Post
Colossal Castle Zone- by Katmint- 6/10
As said, the fact Brak Eggman shoots missles right after the goo spam (which makes it very annoying to listen to the music which you quite pointed out as "awsome") is annoying. The fact the boss spams is also annoying, such spam should only be used if you are in a stage like Mystic Realm Zone, where it doesn't hurt you, but knock you back. I couldn't see how to dodge such spam of rings and instant hit weapons any other way. . Oh yeah, I didn't test 'em all 'cause I'm not a suiciding faller, but some of the deathpits don't work
I never said the music was awesome, I was actually going to replace the Brak music and maybe the other boss music but I never bothered with it. :P

About shooting missiles right after the goop, you can grab the missiles easily if you stay close to the goop and strafe dodge it instead of randomly running around.

Eggman's attacks are so hard to dodge because I always grabbed the Force Shield hidden near the boss when I was testing the level. The shield screws up Eggman's aim for the rest of the battle after it reflects a shot, making it a lot easier than it actually is. I would have tried to slow down the shots if I had figured that out before releasing the level. >_>
Also if you find the Chaos Emeralds you can use Super Sonic instead, and the bomb attack actually does knock you back. :P

I was actually told about the broken deathpits before the contest, but I misunderstood the complaint and thought they worked fine, so I didn't do a double check. >_> I'll fix them in my private copy of the level, if it means anything. :P

Last edited by Katmint; 03-02-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Katmint is offline  
Old 03-02-2011   #63
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmint View Post
About shooting missiles right after the goop, you can grab the missiles easily if you stay close to the goop and strafe dodge it instead of randomly running around.
Yeah sure, because everyone can or wants to strafe. This should not be required to defeat a boss, if only because it's not intuitive at all.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 03-02-2011   #64
Katmint
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
Yeah sure, because everyone can or wants to strafe. This should not be required to defeat a boss, if only because it's not intuitive at all.
It's not required to beat the boss at all. You can even use the same technique with normal walking, strafing just makes it easier.
Katmint is offline  
Old 03-02-2011   #65
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmint View Post
It's not required to beat the boss at all. You can even use the same technique with normal walking, strafing just makes it easier.
Yeah, if you don't strafe, you pretty much have to pray that when Brak Eggman shoots a missile, you're in the right position to catch it.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 03-03-2011   #66
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.
 
Metal-Rawr's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmint View Post
Also if you find the Chaos Emeralds you can use Super Sonic instead, and the bomb attack actually does knock you back. :P
Oh, is that so? The only secret room I've found so far is one with all of the shields and heaps of Pokemon Bad Eggs... Wuzzat? You say they're regular Eggs and not Bad ones...? How the hell do you know?!
__________________
Always remember to have fun
3DS FC: 0989 1765 4380
Please let me know if you add me ^_^
Metal-Rawr is offline  
Old 03-03-2011   #67
Yoshi
Randomly found avatar
 
Yoshi's Avatar
Default

One question. Why do everyone say Misty Mire doesnt work?
I was able to capture the flag.
__________________
I'm so insane I read all 558 chapters of Inuyasha in 3 days.

Last edited by Yoshi; 03-03-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Yoshi is offline  
Old 03-03-2011   #68
Miles Knuckle Power
Texas Style
 
Miles Knuckle Power's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
One question. Why do everyine say Misty Mire doesnt work?
I captured the flag.
Its because the Sector Flag as been not used
__________________
What am I supposed to say here?
Miles Knuckle Power is offline  
Old 03-03-2011   #69
Spongecar
WishI had a better internet
 
Spongecar's Avatar
Default

I just sampled the Single Player levels. Urgh... No offence or anything but they just seemed... Meh. I might review them later.
Splash Garden (I think it was called that) was OK. Though I kept getting stuck in springs.
__________________
GENESIS does, what NINTENDON'T!

Knuxfan24 at your service!
Spongecar is offline  
Old 03-03-2011   #70
Charybdizs
Excelsior
Judge
 
Charybdizs's Avatar
Default

Quote:
One question. Why do everyone say Misty Mire doesnt work?
I was able to capture the flag.
Yes, you can capture the flag once, but after you capture the blue flag, it respawns on top of the blue base, making it uncapturable a second time. I was trying to fix this earlier yesterday, but I couldn't figure out why it was happening. The fact that you could only capture it once was why it got past my testing in the first place, as I didn't think anything would go wrong the second time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Knuckle Power View Post
Its because the Sector Flag as been not used
Sector Flag? Not sure what you mean by that.

EDIT: Ugh, need to get my votes in, but I still haven't played all the single player levels yet.
Charybdizs is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #71
Rei
Omnomnomnom!
 
Rei's Avatar
Default

Race:

Sparkling Abyss Zone by Katmint
4/10

This map was really empty and the freefalls were quite annoying. Yes once you know where the exits and/or the platforms are after your first lap they become simpler, but still one slip up and you fall right back down. This makes the stage feel less like a race stage since it takes a chunk of your time. On the plus side the rainbow colormaps in a row were nice and I liked your choice in music.

Acid Valley Zone by Miles Knuckle Power
4/10

I must say that this map was playable and that all characters could make it through each of the areas, except for one. The one part in the stage with the crumbling platforms above the area that one passes before is a pain for people playing as Sonic. Simply put when another player passes over this section anyone as Sonic cannot get over this gap, even by spindashing then thokking. Also the zoom tube that takes you to the end is sort of hard to find, I would suggest making it more visible using scenery among things to do so. Lastly the zoom tube seemed very rather long, maybe you could have added more onto the map instead of using the zoom tube to skip back to start. Some positive things I liked about your map was the door closing part way, and the factory part scenery was nice.

Last edited by Rei; 03-04-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Rei is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #72
Prime 2.0
Actually a decent lazy bum
Moderator
 
Prime 2.0's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritCrusher View Post
Yeah, if you don't strafe, you pretty much have to pray that when Brak Eggman shoots a missile, you're in the right position to catch it.
What? Unless you move away from the missiles intentionally, you're always in the "right place" because the missiles are shot directly at you! If you're doing tap strafing(either with the strafe button, or the up arrow, it makes no difference) it's incredibly easy to stop in time for the missiles to be shot. I tried it myself without using strafe just now, and I did it on the first try with absolutely no complications.

...and honestly, why should people build their levels around the idea that the people playing it won't use strafe? It's part of the default control scheme now, if someone isn't using strafe they're expending effort to make the game harder for themselves. If the level can be completed without strafe, that's good enough.
__________________
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #73
BlueZero4
 
BlueZero4's Avatar
Default

Wood Asleep by Internet Explorer - 4/10
First off the bat, it seems you're using a modified version of SX8K's graphics mod. I know you might like the changes, but I would prefer to have my graphics and SFX mods packaged separately from the levels. The Sonic Adventure sound effects grate on my ears in a way I don't remember the default sound effects doing.

I understand that what you're trying to do here isn't to build a "normal" level. From what I've played of your level, it seems to me you're shooting for a calmer, more atmospheric level. To make your level work better, I suggest capitalizing on exploration. To do that, though, you have to make something worth exploring. Most of this level is the same trees over and over again. When I saw those trees, eventually I stopped jumping on them and simply asked "Where is forward?" You should be capitalizing on the player's curiosity to lead them to the end.

Colossal Castle by Katmint - 3/10
As a mapper, this is a really hard map for me to rate. I like to understand the map I'm playing in order to rate it. I know I don't understand this map, but I feel like I need to in order to rate it. If we hadn't instituted the "Thou shalt vote for every map" rule for this contest, I would rather give no vote for this map. The rating you see above feels to me closer to a guess than a vote.

The only thing I understand about this map is that, Katmint, you don't understand something about mapping. Some part of it is missing for you, and if I could help you to understand, I would. But I don't know what's wrong, so I can't. If you see me on IRC (I'm not on consistently, so good luck with that), query me and we'll talk. I really do want you to be a better mapper, but I don't know how I can help you to move forward. The only solid advice I can give you is this: Keep your mind open.

Grassy Cliffs by NeroTheArmadillo - 2/10
I took the liberty of running this through ZDBSP myself so I could play it. (How does anyone forget to use a nodebuilder?) It wasn't really worth the effort. To y'all who didn't play this level, you didn't miss anything.

Windmill Hill by Ultimate - 7/10
I don't really advocate levels built over deathpit. That said, you've constructed a level with (mostly) functional gimmicks, about two different alternate routes, and a clear focus on exploration. Good job, except the small GHZROCK is really ugly lookin'. You should also find a way to better indicate to the player where the wind is.

Clockwork Grove by Thompson - 8/10
You know how good your own level is; you don't need me to tell you that. I can tell you were really enjoying yourself as you made this. If you want to stay at this level, that's fine. You're enjoying yourself, and that's really what's important.

But if you want to get better at mapping, you're going to need to push yourself a little bit. Weave those gimmicks in throughout the map. Start decorating your walls. Imagine the gameplay depth of having day and night as toggleable map modes instead of just a one-time switch. Imagine what would have happened if you put those blocked water-spout platforms in every room. Imagine what would have happened if each gargoyle switch worked on every door.

Not that you need to have any of these things. You just might have more fun if you did.

Wonder Terrace by BlazeFan1 - 5/10
You've got some cool ideas here. You just need to package them better.

Splash Garden 1 by Blade - 7/10
Blade, I'm bored of your levels. Change it up.
__________________
scr_bz4pack.wad
BlueZero4 is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #74
Ultimate
a scar in time...
 
Ultimate's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZero4 View Post
Windmill Hill by Ultimate - 7/10
I don't really advocate levels built over deathpit. That said, you've constructed a level with (mostly) functional gimmicks, about two different alternate routes, and a clear focus on exploration. Good job, except the small GHZROCK is really ugly lookin'. You should also find a way to better indicate to the player where the wind is.
Oh wow, I can't believe you gave me a 7! Thank you so much, I never expected to receive a score like that, especially not from such a great mapper! I'll definitely change up the GHZ texture and add more variety to the textures overall. I might add one more route (and/or finish the upper route). I'll also try and find some way to indicate wind near the windmills. I think the hardest part of mapping this level has yet to come, there are so many things I'll need to do to improve the map from this point, but I think it will be fun...I'll try my best to make this map as good as it can be ^^
Thanks for the advice!
__________________
When a person reads, that person becomes a musician of literature, playing the piece upon the instrument of his or her own imagination, expressing it through the dynamics and articulation of emotion and experience.
http://youtube.com/philipawalker

Last edited by Ultimate; 03-04-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Ultimate is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #75
Internet Explorer
IT'S NO USE
 
Internet Explorer's Avatar
Default

Quote:
By SpiritCrusher


I'd like to warn you that if you don't rate this level, none of your other scores will be counted, due to a new rule. So if you really can't finish the level, either give it a low score if you think it's the mapper's fault or rate it on what you saw of the level. Well, you don't have to, but as I said, your scores won't be counted until you vote for every map (except your own of course).

Or you try solving the puzzle. The trick is to search for the right door. I assume you're in the room with the two gargoyles. The door that is opened is not in the same room.

I have been slow to respond ...
I'm sorry I was not aware of this rule. Regardless, I was able to continue the level and I can give my opinion below.

Colossal Castle by Katmint - 5 / 10

Now that I have completed your level, I can give my conclusion. There are very positive on this side of the decoration given to the music. They coincide completely, that's fine.
There is a good amount of high and low sectors. I did not stay all the time at the same level. However, the puzzle with the gargoyle is a bit complex ... and it is often repeated. Perhaps this problem could leave if he'll be combined with other gadgets.
Maybe some rooms lacked a bit of attention ...decoration. (Columns of marble, for example.) It also lacks a bit of enemies. That's what I feel. Maybe other designers will find it is the right dose.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

I turn now to the races.

Sparkling Abyss Zone by Katmint - 5 / 10

Hmm ... there are big problems for construction.
Keep in mind that a race is a simple level. There may be some obstacles. But here the problem lies in the area.
I'll first say that I like the rainbow textures.
But what I hate is the big fallen. Sonic falls very high without knowing where to go. It's a bit confused.
In addition, hmm ... the stairs are bad. In a race, you have to run, not jump. The maximum is present in Corrupt Shrine, because I did not jump to advance. There is an average rating because I still enjoyed the theme level ("Astro") is respected.



Acid Valley Zone by Miles Knuckle Power - 7 / 10

Your level is correct . Perhaps the end is a little ... a little ... uh ... less good than the beginning. Brief.
The beginning is good. This is the part where I'm most amused.
Once the mechanical part ... there were a few glitches that shocked me.




I think the toxic water is too close to the edge ... I do not exaggerate! 5 or 10 fracunits should be sufficient.

Then I find throngs of springs that slowed me. Other means would have been possible.

And zoom tube and far too long, unfortunately.
Finally, I like your level. You are perhaps a little less strong in the construction of levels on the mechanical theme?

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

I turn now to the races.

Sparkling Abyss Zone by Katmint - 5 / 10

Hmm ... there are big problems for construction.
Keep in mind that a race is a simple level. There may be some obstacles. But here the problem lies in the area.
I'll first say that I like the rainbow textures.
But what I hate is the big fallen. Sonic falls very high without knowing where to go. It's a bit confused.
In addition, hmm ... the stairs are bad. In a race, you have to run, not jump. The maximum is present in Corrupt Shrine, because I did not jump to advance. There is an average rating because I still enjoyed the theme level ("Astro") is respected.



Acid Valley Zone by Miles Knuckle Power - 7 / 10

Your level is correct . Perhaps the end is a little ... a little ... uh ... less good than the beginning. Brief.
The beginning is good. This is the part where I'm most amused.
Once the mechanical part ... there were a few glitches that shocked me.




I think the toxic water is too close to the edge ... I do not exaggerate! 5 or 10 fracunits should be sufficient.

Then I find throngs of springs that slowed me. Other means would have been possible.

And zoom tube and far too long, unfortunately.
Finally, I like your level. You are perhaps a little less strong in the construction of levels on the mechanical theme?

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

Now...matchs !



Cold Cavern by jloy1 : 6 / 10

It's a game that could very well make very good multiplayer games. It's a a little bad because it is so small. If you enlarge the level, you should also remove the springs and could create "big stair" who is good.
I would advise maybe to change something in the sky. Maybe...style of Sonic 3 Ice Cap. This black thing, I dislike it.
Also, I didn't find Rings Explosive! Despite this, the objects are good placed. The right dose : not too much.


Excuse my bad English.



Zoom Ship Zone by Katmint : 8 / 10

Hey, it's weird ! I had not noticed that you made a level in all types!
Talk level. It is very well done ! Objects are correctly placed.
There is still an abuse of rings outside the airplane, and I did not find Rail Ring.
But... explain this to me because I do not understand what it is ! :




Flower Zone by Rush KO.T.E: 6 / 10

It is a simple level ... a little too simple. Jade Coast uses the Greenflower style, but there are more sectors up and down.
A good number of rings, but an abuse of gadgets. Look at this:




1 refill grenade + 2 refills explosive. It's a bit abused ... besides, my arms were quickly filled, as you can see!
I know you're a very good designer. I know you've spent only two hours. But you can take more time and create a good level that can get a good grade. Improve yourself in multiplayer design, I know you can do better. Gives a little time at your level.
__________________
Bind out of the "life"
Curiosity : It's alright, go on, you'll never know anything if you don't try
Internet Explorer is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #76
Metal-Rawr
Friendly lurker, I promise.
 
Metal-Rawr's Avatar
Default

Meh, if I'd have the ability to rate Flower Rush Zone, I'd give it like a 3. It looks like the bottom part of the waterfall room was copy- pasted 4 times, and he just added a bit of "caves" with red textures between each one. Not cool.
__________________
Always remember to have fun
3DS FC: 0989 1765 4380
Please let me know if you add me ^_^
Metal-Rawr is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #77
Spherallic
オレンジミント
Developer
 
Spherallic's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal-Rawr View Post
Meh, if I'd have the ability to rate Flower Rush Zone, I'd give it like a 3. It looks like the bottom part of the waterfall room was copy- pasted 4 times, and he just added a bit of "caves" with red textures between each one. Not cool.
Oh no, the level doesn't look good! Now you have to give it a three! Not cool!

not that I will give it a high score, it's only worth a 4 or a 5 IMO :')

I'm currently writing some reviews of the single player stages, so expect to see them sometime soon.
Spherallic is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #78
MascaraSnake
aka SpiritCrusher
Moderator
 
MascaraSnake's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherallic View Post
I'm currently writing some reviews of the single player stages, so expect to see them sometime soon.
Same here. Expect them maybe today, maybe tomorrow, but at least until Sunday.
MascaraSnake is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #79
Charybdizs
Excelsior
Judge
 
Charybdizs's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spherallic
Oh no, the level doesn't look good! Now you have to give it a three! Not cool!
What's that supposed to mean? Shouldn't the way a level looks be a major factor in the scores it receives?
Charybdizs is offline  
Old 03-04-2011   #80
Zap610
 
Zap610's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdizs View Post
What's that supposed to mean? Shouldn't the way a level looks be a major factor in the scores it receives?
Agree. If a map doesn't look good then what's the motivation for trying to beat it?
Zap610 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January/February 2010 Voting FuriousFox Outdated Official Level Design Contest (2.0.X) 136 03-10-2010 08:24 PM
Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2009 FuriousFox Outdated Official Level Design Contest (0.X & 1.X) 85 03-11-2009 11:15 AM
Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February 2008 FuriousFox Outdated Official Level Design Contest (0.X & 1.X) 103 04-08-2008 06:30 PM
Official Level Design Contest Voting: January-February 2007 Mystic Outdated Official Level Design Contest (0.X & 1.X) 78 03-20-2007 07:28 PM
Official Level Design Contest Voting: January/February Mystic Outdated Official Level Design Contest (0.X & 1.X) 40 03-11-2006 11:35 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.