SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 09-19-2017   #5841
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I have some ideas on how to fix analog mode but they're a little complex and would probably be viewed as too much work to impliment for a feature that supposedly nobody uses and is "inferior" to the default tank controls, not only that but I don't actually know how to impliment them myself due to lack of coding knowledge.

Last edited by Rumia1; 09-19-2017 at 06:07 AM.
Rumia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017   #5842
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
It isn't. The issue here is that it'd be easier to see the player and therefore would allow the person with the file to have a quicker reaction time, which could make all the difference in a game as twitch-paced as SRB2's match.
Extremely late reply I know, same thing can be easily done with 3D Models, If you're going to disallow players use of custom sprite replacements in netgames, you should consider the same thing for 3D Models.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017   #5843
glaber
Emblem Radar Ready

if not already possible, a mirror or flipped version of the render target linedef special.
glaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017   #5844
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

You mean visportal mirrors? The last time I tried mirroring the renderer as it was rendering was a trainwreck, and using a post-processing effect for it is out of the question since visportals are rendered after the main map (at least the geometry is).
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017   #5845
TheCreeperDemon

Idea/Suggestion- Mini Bosses: In the middle or end of the second stage of a zone you will be forced to fight a mini boss, for example (please note this is just a example of what I am explaining) In Greenflower Zone Act 2, when you enter that hallway where you make you way up to the end of the level, while in it you will have to fight a giant Motobug with spikes on its back and it can fly.
TheCreeperDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017   #5846
Blast88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreeperDemon View Post
Idea/Suggestion- Mini Bosses: In the middle or end of the second stage of a zone you will be forced to fight a mini boss, for example (please note this is just a example of what I am explaining) In Greenflower Zone Act 2, when you enter that hallway where you make you way up to the end of the level, while in it you will have to fight a giant Motobug with spikes on its back and it can fly.
Honestly I don't agree with your idea because I like how the acts work out. The first two acts being regular stages while the third and last act is the boss. So I don't think it will happen.
Old 10-11-2017   #5847
Andreso2145
Tech and games, forever!

This suggestion is not so important, but well, the suggestion is about replacing the 7Zip installation and putting instead a Setup Wizard because looks more professional, is not important, but meh
Old 10-11-2017   #5848
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

These things require money as far as I can remember.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #5849
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

There are endless ways to throw together an installer package. The problem is installers are pointless for a game like SRB2, and extracting an archive file is way simpler.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #5850
Andreso2145
Tech and games, forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnchilada View Post
There are endless ways to throw together an installer package. The problem is installers are pointless for a game like SRB2, and extracting an archive file is way simpler.
Yes, is way simpler, but a Installer brings a more professional look, and more options, so, why not?
Old 10-12-2017   #5851
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

Because we're not concerned with being professional with our installer in the first place? Not like it needs a computer restart or anything complicated. We could even just make the SRB2 download a zip if we wanted to. =P

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017   #5852
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Because simple things are better. We don't need a complicated installer, so we don't have one.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017   #5853
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

On the topic of installers for SRB2, I'll say that I personally prefer an archive file that I can extract myself using WinRAR or 7-Zip or such over an installer (unless Steam is the "installer" or it's something that would otherwise require lots of manual editing all over the place (such as graphic driver updates)).

An installer just feels "useless" to me if it's not going to do special things to lots of files all over the place to make it run correctly, even more so if it also gives me stuff I don't care about or want. If I want to have a desktop shortcut, I'll just make one myself, and if I want to have it pinned in the start menu or such, I'll drag it there myself or such, and I pretty much can't stand when you can't even disable the start menu shortcut thing when installing something. Also, no, I don't want to install some tool-bar in my internet browser, or have a different internet browser installed, or my internet browser's home page changed. (I don't remember if any of this applies/has applied to SRB2, but for other programs, it sometimes does, and I don't like it when it does.)

TL;DR: I personally prefer an archive over an installer in almost any case, especially for games.
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017   #5854
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

Please add a DOWN variable for the custom buttons, we already have ones for jump and spin, so why not custom 1-3?
Old 10-18-2017   #5855
Rapidgame7
pressure pressure pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumia1 View Post
Please add a DOWN variable for the custom buttons, we already have ones for jump and spin, so why not custom 1-3?
We already have those?
These buttons, along with attack ones, weapon slots and some movement buttons, are found in player.cmd.buttons as bits.
Custom button bits are BT_CUSTOM1 to 3.
<Rapidgame7> AAAAAUUUUGGGGH

Last edited by Rapidgame7; 10-18-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017   #5856
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

I think Rumia's actually referring to the PF_USEDOWN etc pflags, which determine if the buttons were pressed down last tic or not.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017   #5857
Rapidgame7
pressure pressure pressure

Oh, right.
You can make a script that stores somewhere the amount of time it has been held, and do something when this variable is 1, doing what PF_SOMETHINGDOWN does but with extra lines.
Spoiler: Examples

Code:
local var = (player.cmd.buttons & BT_CUSTOM1) and $ + 1 or 0
if var == 1 then
  -- something
end
or
Code:
if player.cus1held ~= nil and (player.cmd.buttons & BT_CUSTOM1) then
  player.cus1held = $ + 1
else
  player.cus1held = 0
end
if player.cus1held == 1 then
  -- something
end
<Rapidgame7> AAAAAUUUUGGGGH
Rapidgame7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017   #5858
Rumia1
Backseat Developer

I know, and I have been, but I figured it would be a bit more convenient and it would make sense considering we already have them for use and jump.
Old 10-18-2017   #5859
choalover
チャオノコイビト

I think a PlayerExit hook should be added to SRB2 in the future, which will execute when a player exits the game; as a result, it is the opposite of the PlayerJoin hook.

Last edited by choalover; 10-18-2017 at 10:34 PM.
choalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017   #5860
U.Flame

Any chance some of Sonic Mania's improvements can be implemented? One i have in mind is AI Tails not consuming an air bubble when he uses one.
U.Flame is offline   Reply With Quote