SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Archived > Outdated Releases (2.0.X) > Levels (2.0.X)

 
 
Thread Tools
mt_squareshowdown - Small Square Match Map inspired by Meadow Match Zone Details »»
mt_squareshowdown - Small Square Match Map inspired by Meadow Match Zone
Version: 1.2.1, by Josh (joshman196 in-game) Josh is offline
Developer Last Online: Jul 2015

Version: SRB2 Rating: (2 votes - 3.20 average)
Released: 06-29-2012 Last Update: 06-29-2012 Installs: 1
Multiplayer Levels Re-Useable Content

(Changelog is under the screenshots below)

Hello and welcome to the post of my match/tag level! I got the idea of making this after playing Meadow Match Zone a lot. Yeah, that means Meadow Match is my inspiration! The map is meant to be small, simple, and very fast paced.

Thanks to TailzCreatedSpeed for fixing the water colormap and testing the map for me!

And thanks to SpiritCrusher for finding a lot of issues in 1.0 that are now fixed in 1.1 (3-7 in 1.1 changelog).

The MAPNUM is 35 so it doesn't replace any maps in the base game. I've also adjusted the map to be included into the match/tag rotation (Meadow Match -> Square Showdown -> Jade Valley and so on).

Screenshots
___________________







Changelog
__________________________

1.0 6-28-12
------------------------------
Initial Release.

1.1 6-29-12
------------------------------
1. Tag/Hide and Seek Support (It will show up in the Tag/Hide and Seek level select).
2. Added to Match/Tag Rotation (Meadow Match -> Square Showdown -> Jade Valley -> and so on).
3. Emerald Spawns
4. More ammunition rings for Auto, Scatter, and Bounce.
5. More Player Spawns (Not the suggested 32, but it's above 20)
6. More NORMAL Super Ring (10 Ring) Monitors
7. Less Random Weak Monitors (I think there's only 2 now, 1.0 had 4)

1.1.1 6-29-12
------------------------------
1. Now there are 32 match starts.
2. Added ZIP Mirror.

1.2 7-2-12
------------------------------
1. Adjusted Emerald Spawns
2. Removed Platforming to get to Bomb Ring
3. Added red spring to get to Bomb Ring
4. Changed texture of Bomb Ring platform to fit in with the rest of the map

1.2.1 12-25-13
------------------------------
1. Changed Bomb Ring Platform textures to have grassy floor and grass on sides
2. Added a corner platform that serves another random (weak) item monitor and an emerald spawn

Official Mirrors (Hosted on Google Drive; No sign-in required; You only need to download one of these)
__________________________

1. Raw WAD file; 51.7KB
2. WAD compressed into a .RAR file for extracting; 15.5KB
3. WAD compressed into a .ZIP file for extracting; 17.3KB

Download Now

File Type: zip mt_squareshowdown.zip (17.3 KB, 367 views)

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

  • The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 06-30-2012   #2
Internet Explorer
IT'S NO USE
 
Internet Explorer's Avatar
Default

This is your first map, welcome around the designers' passion, then.
To tell you some things about Meadow Match, that you were inspired from... it's one of the most liked match level, because it allows a continuous speed, by keeping fighting skills. (Not the best level for Tails and Knuckles, however)
If it looks like to something pretty simple to build, it contains an organization that makes the field heterogeneous. It's actually, not a simple big square.
Of course, about your level, I'll be the 7th positive review. I would say that there are some Meadow Match winks here and there, but there is that big column, with a different texture, which doesn't fit at all, since it slows down the player which must aim with its jump, the yellow spring. That part of the level was a little rushed, if you want my opinion.
Otherwise, some weapons are well-placed, I think placing the rail one in a difficult area should improve the other weapons's use and make the game less "hunter".
__________________
Bind out of the "life"
Curiosity : It's alright, go on, you'll never know anything if you don't try
Internet Explorer is offline  
Old 06-30-2012   #3
ThunderNova
 
ThunderNova's Avatar
Default

I feel the bare minimum in creativity was used for this map.

There's practically no detail, aside from some decoration things thrown around, and no interesting gimmicks.

In fact, the most notable sections are a tie between the pools of water and the flower sections.

It gets the job done, but is not pleasing on the eyes.
ThunderNova is offline  
Old 06-30-2012   #4
Josh
joshman196 in-game
 
Josh's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Explorer View Post
This is your first map, welcome around the designers' passion, then.
To tell you some things about Meadow Match, that you were inspired from... it's one of the most liked match level, because it allows a continuous speed, by keeping fighting skills. (Not the best level for Tails and Knuckles, however)
If it looks like to something pretty simple to build, it contains an organization that makes the field heterogeneous. It's actually, not a simple big square.
Of course, about your level, I'll be the 7th positive review. I would say that there are some Meadow Match winks here and there, but there is that big column, with a different texture, which doesn't fit at all, since it slows down the player which must aim with its jump, the yellow spring. That part of the level was a little rushed, if you want my opinion.
Otherwise, some weapons are well-placed, I think placing the rail one in a difficult area should improve the other weapons's use and make the game less "hunter".
I originally planned that area as a "hotspot" for players to go to since the bomb ring is up there. I honestly don't know why I kept the different texture, maybe it was because I needed something different than the normal gfzrock texture. And about the spring, I still don't know if I should remove it or not... I could always lower the platform with the bomb ring and all players would have to do is just jump from platform to platform to get up there instead of jump, spring, land.
__________________
Projects:
mt_squareshowdown (100%)
Josh is offline  
Old 07-01-2012   #5
TailzCreatedSpeed
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I still don't know if I should remove it or not... I could always lower the platform with the bomb ring and all players would have to do is just jump from platform to platform to get up there instead of jump, spring, land.
I think the problem is that, well, in a match level you need to take into consideration that most people using the level aren't going to be using LXShadow's Srb2cs exe. So that means, the level will have a lot of c-lag. Which makes actually platforming that weird section to the bomb ring hard. Then there's the spring. I think a fix could be just getting rid of the platforming and making a diagonal spring that will get the player up. Cause in a match, no one wants to be in a hotspot.
TailzCreatedSpeed is offline  
Old 07-01-2012   #6
Josh
joshman196 in-game
 
Josh's Avatar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailzCreatedSpeed View Post
I think the problem is that, well, in a match level you need to take into consideration that most people using the level aren't going to be using LXShadow's Srb2cs exe. So that means, the level will have a lot of c-lag. Which makes actually platforming that weird section to the bomb ring hard. Then there's the spring. I think a fix could be just getting rid of the platforming and making a diagonal spring that will get the player up. Cause in a match, no one wants to be in a hotspot.
Yeah, I'll remove the platforming, but I won't make the diagonal spring. It'll just be a normal red spring.
__________________
Projects:
mt_squareshowdown (100%)

Last edited by Josh; 07-04-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Josh is offline  
Old 07-01-2012   #7
TailzCreatedSpeed
Default

As long as the bomb platform is easy to get to. Just because, in a match situation, it has to be smooth. And that one platform is not really any different from the others
TailzCreatedSpeed is offline  
Old 07-02-2012   #8
Josh
joshman196 in-game
 
Josh's Avatar
Default

New Update (1.2) is out. Look at the Changelog for more info.
__________________
Projects:
mt_squareshowdown (100%)
Josh is offline  
Old 12-26-2013   #9
Josh
joshman196 in-game
 
Josh's Avatar
Default

Welp. It's been a year and I finally made a minor update. (View changelog)

Also, I FINALLY put screenshots of the current version. This may or may not be the last update. I am thinking about adding 1 more FOF platform to the almost empty part of the stage, but I'll have to see if I have time for it some other day.

Also, Merry Christmas, guys!
__________________
Projects:
mt_squareshowdown (100%)

Last edited by Josh; 12-26-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: m-muh edits
Josh is offline  
 

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.