SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > Releases > Lua

Axis2D Details »»
Axis2D
Version: 1.2, by RedEnchilada (happy, pretty, lovely!) RedEnchilada is offline
Developer Last Online: Dec 2017

Category: Version: SRB2 Rating: (1 votes - 3.40 average)
Released: 06-30-2014 Last Update: Never Installs: 2
Scripts Re-Useable Content

It's like normal 2D, but it's actually in 3D. Using the power of NiGHTS axis things, it gives 2D levels a slew of extra possibilities by allowing use of the third dimension properly. Think something like Kirby 64, or Klonoa, or even Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations!

As Clock Towers (which as of this writing is available in the current OLDC to vote on) (man, that really dates this post) demonstrates, this enables a lot of possibilities with branching paths and looping design that standard 2D mode doesn't easily allow for.

There's not a whole lot more to say about this, so feel free to download and start using it in your own creations! Super big credits to chi.miru for starting the script in the first place; I just helped finish it.

The screenshots are old.

changelog:

Spoiler: 1.2

• The code has been heavily refactored into an axis2d global, which is now completely accessible from other scripts.
  • Object sliding issues when standing still on circular axes have been fixed.
  • PF_FORCESTRAFE no longer lingers after exiting Axis2D mode.
  • Camera objects should no longer be visible, and cutaway views should now be supported.
  • A new linedef type has been added: 9001 Axis2D Switch Sector. It's set up exactly like an invisible intangible FOF, and when inside you'll switch to the axis defined by the line's X offset. This line has no effect if you aren't already in Axis2D mode, which should make it easier to intersect A2D over 3D sections if you're into that sort of thing.
  • If you use camera tricks to flip the player's direction of motion (see Clock Towers), the player will continue moving forward (now opposite of input) until they release the movement key.

Spoiler: 1.1

• Fixed crash in 2.1.9 (apparently using an MT_THOK as a camera doesn't work any more)
  • Now using the PF_FORCESTRAFE flag to enable movement with the turn keys! Now people who play with those won't kill you

Download Now

File Type: zip Axis2D_1-2.zip (34.0 KB, 348 views)

Screenshots

Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20056.gif
Views:	1592
Size:	7.25 MB
ID:	5252   Click image for larger version

Name:	srb20058.gif
Views:	1586
Size:	3.72 MB
ID:	5254  

Supporters / CoAuthors

Show Your Support

• The author of this addon has given explicit permission for its content to be re-used and/or reproduced.

Comments
Old 10-11-2016   #42
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Hey, I wanted to add this script to my character to improve its support for levels with Axis2D in it. I just wanted to confirm if there was a way to check and see through lua scripting if the code has already been added to the game. If at some point you guys update and a level is using code that is more up-to-date than my wad, I don't want to be overwriting the code needlessly.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #43
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

That actually reminds me to get the newer code refactor of this released, heh. I'm not sure if the current release version has a way to check that, and I know the current working copy does. (I just need to sit down and fix the slight drifting I've been experiencing ._.)
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #44
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

I don't know if there is a way to do this through lua, but is it possible to turn local functions into, like... global functions? It would be nice to call on something like Ax_SnapMobj from a separate lump.

Old 10-12-2016   #45
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

We figured out a while back that you can use the rawset function to add the function to the global metatable _G, allowing such a function to be effectively "global":

rawset(_G, "myfunctionname", mylocalfunction)

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #46
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

Is there any chance you could do this for your script? I'm just trying to make my character more compatible with any added levels that happen to use Axis2D, so all I really need to do is call on the function externally if it's already available.

Old 12-10-2016   #47
RedEnchilada
happy, pretty, lovely!
Developer

Alright, this is long overdue, but people actually using it in SUGOI2 means I'm finally pushing out an update with some quality-of-life improvements for scripters. We're now on 1.2.

• The code has been heavily refactored into an axis2d global, which is now completely accessible from other scripts.
  • Object sliding issues when standing still on circular axes have been fixed.
  • PF_FORCESTRAFE no longer lingers after exiting Axis2D mode.
  • Camera objects should no longer be visible, and cutaway views should now be supported.
  • A new linedef type has been added: 9001 Axis2D Switch Sector. It's set up exactly like an invisible intangible FOF, and when inside you'll switch to the axis defined by the line's X offset. This line has no effect if you aren't already in Axis2D mode, which should make it easier to intersect A2D over 3D sections if you're into that sort of thing.
  • If you use camera tricks to flip the player's direction of motion (see Clock Towers), the player will continue moving forward (now opposite of input) until they release the movement key.
NOTE: Spilled rings and other similar objects no longer switch axes when using the linedef executor method of switching them any more. If you can't update your map to accomodate this, set axis2d.legacymode = true to restore the old behavior.

Last edited by RedEnchilada; 12-10-2016 at 06:28 PM.
RedEnchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016   #48
Octavio The HedgeFox
I'm not a flat surface.

Great work on this .lua! Your awesome!
Octavio The HedgeFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #49
SMBX2011

RedEnchilada, i have problem. When i try to play level, it don't show 2D (Axis 2D). It just normal (3D). Help me plz!
SMBX2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #50
Speedy Da Doge

umm... how do I activate this thing
the readme thing confuses me
Speedy Da Doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #51
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

It's not a thing on its own. It's a tool for level designers.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote