[Open Assets] [SRB2 Kart] Chaotic Kart

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaotic Chao

horns Horns HORNS
Version 4.0 is finally out!

This is a pack originally made for Srb2 Riders, but has been updated and now only supports SRB2Kart. Be sure you download the Kart Resources wad from the SRB2 Kart Z page! So there aren't any redwalls in...most of the levels. Also, if you plan to go through all of the levels, I recommend you start at Chao Circuit 1. It's where the rotation officially begins.

The final release of the pack aims to have at least 32 levels, like a regular Mario Kart game - 16 original levels, 16 ports/remakes. There will likely be more, but they'll probably just end up being extra courses.

Level List:
Ring Cup
Chao Circuit 1 - Dungeon Maze may show up first on the stage select screen, but this is really the first course. This easy course is short and has but one small water section.
Building Parkway - Probably the shortest course in the entire pack. It's really easy and very simple, which means races can get pretty hectic here.
???
Cloud Tops 1 -
Ah, a nice, relaxing drive...on the top on clouds in the sky. The track is pretty wide, so if you're careful you shouldn't have much trouble with it.

Spring Cup
???
???
Night Skyline -
A primetime drive on the rooftops of various skyscrapers. Again, be careful not to fall off, as doing so can be pretty easy if you're careless.
Dungeon Maze - Lost, ancient ruins of unknown origin and unknown purpose. This place wasn't built for karting, of course, so watch out for tough turns and unexpected death pits!

Item Box Cup

Cyan Safari - A jungle with towering trees and grass everywhere. This course has an interesting path split close to the finish line. Which way will you take? Don't worry, they're even. Oh yeah, did I mention the jungle is cyan?
Chao Circuit 2 - The second Chao Circuit in the pack. This one's harder and longer, and the underwater sections can be difficult if you're not used to the physics. Good luck!
Cloud Tops 2 - The second Cloud Tops in the pack. This one's way harder than the last. This time, the paths are much thinner and there are some tough jumps. Be very careful!
Regal Raceway - A desert oasis course with a colosseum overlooking it. This course can be confusing if you don't look at the arrows, so be sure to pay attention! So far, this is the longest course in the pack.

Chaotic Cup
???

???
???
???

Star Post Cup
GBA Ganbare Dochu 2 -
Probably the easiest course in all of SRB2 Kart, or at least close. This lush, flowery, Ganbare Goemon course is so easy that races here are always extremely close.
GG Balloon Panic - WIP
DS Aron City Speedway -
Hey look! It's Johnny Bravo! Anyway, this course is also very easy if you know how to drift decently. Otherwise, you'll probably find yourself running into walls. But if you're good at kart, this should be a very fun city.
GBA Gritty City Circuit - WIP

Badnick Cup
GBA Space Colony 1 -
No, it's not space colony ARK. This is from Parodius. This course is kind of a glass cannon - there are speed pads almost everywhere, so it's easy to get far...but there are also pits littered everywhere, which aren't so easy to avoid.
GG Iron Ruin - The ruins of Scrap Brain, maybe? This course isn't so tough, but it's easy to drive off the track and onto the offroad. Not all of the turns here are a cakewalk.
DS Townsville Raceway - WIP
GBA Bikini Bottom Blowout -
If you don't know what cartoon this is based off of, then move out of the rock you live under. This course is, naturally, completely underwater, so be sure to remember that you stay in the air longer.

Spike Cup
GBA Magma Castle 1 - WIP
GG ???
DS Middle of Nowhere - WIP
GBA Pickles Parkway -
I never knew Rugrats based things could be so...heinous. This track is a glass cannon like Space Colony, but more extreme. There are pits and sharp turns everywhere in this course, but there are also boost pads literally everywhere, so if you're good, you can boost through the entire course in about a minute.

Cup of the Past
GBA Cyber Field 2 - WIP
GG Death Egg -
The last course in Sonic Drift 2 puts you in this course, shaped like Eggman's face. Not only are the turns sharp, but on the outside of the corners there are lasers waiting to zap you. Plus, the course is so short, it's only 5 laps.
DS Dexter's Laboratory - WIP
GBA Congo Bongo Bang Up - WIP

GBA: Konami Crazy Racers/Nicktoons Racing
GG: Sonic Drift 2
DS: Cartoon Network Racing

Bonus Cup
This cup contains either extremely difficult levels, joke levels, or both. Not sure how many levels will end up here.
Cloud Tops 3 - Too hard to be a regular level, Cloud Tops 3 is now here. It's got insane turns, ridiculously thin track, and a big reward if you manage not to fall down to the lower path.
Sonic the Circuit - A hilariously difficult joke track shaped like our hero Sonic. Think Yoshi Circuit, but...MUCH harder. Good luck, because you're gonna need it. I don't care how good your handling is. Trust me - it won't matter here.

More to come!
Also, each level has hidden (or hard to reach) rings in them (except Space Colony). Can you find them when not racing?

If you find any bugs or anything, tell me please.
4.0 is a huge step up from 3.2. It adds 6 new levels (3 original, 3 ports) and massively updates preexisting levels (Cyan Safari the most). Plus, most of the checkpoints should work now (sadly not all of them, but they will in 5.0) and getting stuck while tiny shouldn't happen anymore.

Next release is is 5.0, which is coming soon. Expect plenty of new levels (mostly ports...but not just ports), balance, fixed checkpoints, merged music, and a better experience in general!

Song Origins
Songs
Dungeon Maze: Leading Lights for Lost World - From Sonic Adventure
Cloud Tops 1: Ema Skye ~ Scientist Detective - From Apollo Justice - Ace Attorney
Night Speedway: Empire City ~ Skyscraper Scamper Night - from Sonic Unleashed
Building Parkway: City Trial - From Kirby Air Ride
Cloud Tops 2: Investigation ~ In the Midst 2002 - From Phoenix Wright - Justice for All
Cyan Safari: Lost Jungle Zone - from Sonic Heroes
Chao Circuit 2: Join Us 4 Happy Time - From Sonic Adventure
Chao Circuit 1: Theme of "CHAO" - from Sonic Adventure
Regal Raceway: Realgam Tower - from Pokemon Colosseum
Cloud Tops 3: Eccentric 2007 - from Apollo Justice - Ace Attorney
All ports use their original songs
Stuff to happen in 5.0

• Many more new levels (not gonna slap a number on this time, though)
  • Fixed bugs
  • MUCH better checkpoints
  • Organized courses on the menu, arranged by difficulty and cup
  • TONS of level balancing and general improvements to ALL levels (except the few without noticeable issues)
Stuff to happen whenever

• Battle Courses will be added when Battle mode comes. These will also contain both original courses and ports.
  • Fixed slime trails (they're EVERYWHERE, dammit)
Don't forget the music! It's kinda big, but worth it (It'd be even bigger but thanks to Sryder13 it's not THAT big). The music will be merged with the regular wad in 5.0, so you won't have to download a thing.
Credit goes to everyone who helped me test this, gave me awesome ideas, or made something for me.

Attachments

• ChaoticKart4.0.rar
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,114
  • srb20279.png
    srb20279.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,488
  • srb20280.png
    srb20280.png
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,161
  • srb20281.png
    srb20281.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 906
  • srb20282.png
    srb20282.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 876
  • srb20283.png
    srb20283.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 778
  • srb20284.png
    srb20284.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 798
  • srb20285.png
    srb20285.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,222
  • srb20286.png
    srb20286.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 760
  • srb20288.png
    srb20288.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 814
  • srb20289.png
    srb20289.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 851
  • srb20290.png
    srb20290.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 751
  • srb20292.png
    srb20292.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 915
  • srb20293.png
    srb20293.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 769
  • srb20294.png
    srb20294.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 831
  • srb20295.png
    srb20295.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 907
  • srb20298.png
    srb20298.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,429
  • srb20299.png
    srb20299.png
    29 KB · Views: 1,098
  • CKartMusic4.zip
    12.2 MB · Views: 891
Last edited:
City Center 1:
15gxw6u.png

That area in the screenshot is incredibly cramped.
Also, the level could do with more decor/scenery in the following areas:
x25d2a.png

33ylw60.png

rjntci.png

Don't hesitate to vary the decor/scenery in particular areas, should you follow through with this.

Dungeon Maze:

34fjiuh.png

It's still confusing on where to go at this ledge before the 3rd checkpoint. I mean that from a distance, you're just greeted by a wall, as far as you can tell. There's nothing that signifies that you have to drop downwards and make a 180 turn to the left before you've actually dropped off the ledge. Not to mention that you're highly guaranteed to end up hitting one of the walls in that area. Just throwing out an idea, but maybe you could put a stair slope leading downwards instead of the ledge to try and fix this?

The shortcut is barely even a shortcut. Why? Because you are stopped in your place upon teleporting(unless you use a mushroom) instead of keeping your speed, meaning there isn't much of a notable difference from the normal route and the shortcut in terms of the time taken to reach the finish line. I still think that if you insist on having a shortcut in that level, that you replace that so-called shortcut with a new shortcut(Doesn't have to be in the same place.). Otherwise, just simply get rid of the current one.

f51xi.png

That wall that comes just before the 2nd checkpoint(the one directly ahead of Tyrone in the screenshot) has to go. It's just annoying having to hit that wall every lap and along with the proclaimed shortcut and the area near the 3rd checkpoint, is just another flow-breaker in your level. You should lower the track near that area, so players don't hit it (Ensure it's low enough that mega-shroom players can pass through). Either that, or raise the wall.

The place needs more texture variation (and possibly more scenery of some sort?). Currently, it just looks bland.

The turns (the one that follows from the 2nd CP and the one that follows from the 1st CP) need some more length between it and the stairs ( Which I think should be made smaller in height, since shrunken players may not be able to go up the steps. This is what I mean by "lower the track around that area so players don't hit the wall before the 2nd CP") When you're going along, a player'll only notice the turn while they're actually on it, meaning they practically have no time to react to the turn without hitting the wall.

Apart from the area near the start, the area where the last CP is and the red springs part that comes just before the last CP, I feel that the track should just be wider really.

Night Speedway:
11w98au.png

Although you may've placed the checkpoint within sight now, players can now easily skip the rest of the turn and hit the yellow springs, because again, it's within reach. (It turns out to be quicker too. I'd understand if you intend for this to be a shortcut, but it's way too easy to access it. If you want it to be a shortcut, it'd be better if you required a whirlwind shield to access it at that point or something like that.) Maybe you could lower this part of the track, so the yellow springs aren't accessible until you go the whole way around the turn?

Also, with this particular section of the track being so thin, a player can take that oppertunity to plant traps for the player behind to inevitably fall into, again becoming an annoyance. You may want to widen that area more to prevent this issue.

2i9gl8j.png

Now here, you may want to add more length to that straight. As it is, you aren't given much time to react to the turn, upon being launched downwards by the springs. As well as this, you may want to fix this checkpoint sector(and possibly a few others), as I was able to skip it while drifting around the innermost side of the turn.

Also, I feel there's an excessive amount of trees at the 5th checkpoint area. Remove some of them, so you can arrange them like the ones in your screenshot. And as Razor said, put some grass underneath 'em.

Could also do with some more buildings in the level (Preferably, some that vary in the textures used that don't clash too much with the other buildings.). As it is, the level kinda feels too open and considering how we are supposed to be driving on the rooptops of buildings and that the bottomless pit is pretty much the sky, as opposed to actual roads and such... =P

Cloud Tops 1:
The track itself is just flat. Nothing that really defines the track as being "clouds", except the track being white. Shape it so the track looks like clouds and give it some depth instead of it just looking like a paper-thin track.

fnskef.png

This checkpoint is skippable if you drive along the rightmost part of this road. That'll need to be fixed. Another thing; you should make it clearer that the speed pads are required to hit those diagonal springs( possibly by extending it all the way across the road, so it can't be avoided). That, or remove the speed pads and either move the diagonal springs closer or make them higher, so the player actually hits it. I skipped the speed pads, hit an invisible wall beyond the diagonal springs and ended up dying because of this.
Speaking of the speed pads, them and the boost-pads look exactly the same, seeing as they're both orange ovals. Make one of them different in colour or something.

Cloud Tops 2:
*Insert first comment about Cloud Tops 1 here*
Though at least there's some depth to it, however, that's only the case with the barriers of the turns and the spring part. This also needs to be the case for the track itself.

kbc3t2.png

Here, it'd be better if you could clearly see the turn coming( possibly by adding a barrier at the outermost part of the turn), before approaching it. With the track as flat as it is, it is sometimes difficult to spot turns like the one in this screenshot.

GBA Ganbare Dochu 2:
Hmm, I think I actually remember playing this game...Well not much, but I do remember the music used in this level.
343kx12.png

Anyway, make the checkpoint sectors extend over the grass as well, so they can't be
skipped, should a player end up passing a checkpoint over the grass. Also, make the finish line sectors extend over the grass too.
It wouldn't hurt to use a little more of varied decor( You seem to be rather attatched to those trees really. =P How about a few flowers here and there to go along with 'em? =3 )

Apart from that though, I actually rather liked this level!

Dragon Jungle:
aonmgz.png

When you hit the leftmost yellow diagonal spring here, you get stuck on the wall adjacent to it.

GG Death Egg:
The middle of the level just seems rather empty. Add some more structures or something there.
Make checkpoint sectors extend over the off-road parts on both sides of them. Same deal with the finish line.
The track itself; I feel it should be a little more wider( and more longer at the areas that outline the side of Eggman's moustache =p)
And the item boxes. That might be how they are arranged in the original, however here, it's incredibly flawed, simply because the leading player/s are likely to snag all the item boxes, only for the lagging players to likely get absolutely nothing.

Chao Circuit 1:
icohmu.jpg

That turn where the item boxes are should be a little more wider
The same could be said for the series of turns before the last checkpoint.
Also, again with the excessive use of trees in particular areas. Spread them around the grass parts of the level and vary it up a bit with some flowers or something. If there isn't enough room to spread 'em out in a particular area, then remove some of them.

Both parts where you are launched downward into the water has turns that you barely even get a chance to react to, since you end up colliding with the wall. Putting more length between the turn and the springs should fix that issue.

2ryfuqw.png

Also, you may want to convert those walls where the diagonal springs on the ceiling are into non-bumpy walls, as it's quite easy to bounce off any of those walls and miss the ceiling with the diagonal springs entirely.

The water areas could do with more arrows( In particular, that turn that comes before the blue diagonal springs and the 180 turn before being launched up to the ceiling of yellow springs)

Apart from most of the water sections though, I'd say that I liked this one.

GBA Space Colony 1:
It could do with more checkpoints.
ayxbbk.png

The way you bundled the Item boxes here makes it difficult to see those pit-holes after it, which could lead to some cheap deaths.

I won't say much about the coins, since you mentioned that you'll be re-arranging them anyway, but just make sure that where you place them doesn't cause the player to inevitably hit walls, fall into pits, etc.

Anyway, I hope you take this into consideration, when creating more kart levels and...Err...Best of luck! =)

Last edited:
This is the best criticism I've ever had. Thank you.
By the way, I can't tell where you are in the 2nd screenshot in Dungeon Maze.
Also, I'm not really thinking about changing City Center, because the center (no pun intended) of the stage was quite difficult to make (so many random missing textures...o.O), but if your "tip" can help me fix the confusion, at most, I'd like to take it.
I'm not sure if going around that building in Night Speedway will work, but I'll see.

Last edited:
Just in case you haven't seen yet, I got round to reviewing Cloud Tops 2( And included a few things in the other reviews that I forgot about, except Night Speedway.)

By the way, I can't tell where you are in the 2nd screenshot in Dungeon Maze.

rtfjaq.png

That should help you! =)

Also, I'm not really thinking about changing City Center, because the center (no pun intended) of the stage was quite difficult to make (so many random missing textures...o.O), but if your "tip" can help me fix the confusion, at most, I'd like to take it.

Hmm, then you probably might not approve of my suggestion, but I'll still send it to you, via private message.

I actually fixed a handful of these already. The teleporter in Dungeon Maze is still there, but the risk/reward ratio has been balanced better.

And about the first turn in Cloud Tops one. Whenever I tried to fix it, each jump after the next ended up going too far. So, since fixing it breaks other things, I'm not so sure about it. But I'm sure I'll figure something out. And the area in the screenshot above now allows you to go both ways without choosing one way wrong. Going right is slower, but you can get an item.

Sorry for the double post, but 2.0 has been released. And 2.1. Should've said so sooner. =p

Changes (1.0 - 2.0):

• Made compatible only with SRB2 Kart and not SRB2 Riders.
  • Added 5 levels (GBA Ganbare Dochu 2, GBA Space Colony 1, GG Death Egg, Dragon Jungle, Chao Circuit 1)
  • Many bugs in the preexisting maps fixed
  • Other stuff I can't remember because it was too long ago
  • Some bugfixes
Changes (2.0 - 2.1):

• Major bugfix. Fixes include:

• Big Finish Line problem with GBA Space Colony 1
  • Oil Slicks in Chao Circuit 1 not working (probably because they were on FOFs)
  • GBA Space Colony 1 made more true to the original
  • No more unnecessary song in the music file
  • No more skipping over checkpoint/finish lines in Death Egg and Cloud Tops 2 because of going too fast
  • Now hidden rings in Chao Circuit 1
  • Odd Death Egg picture replaced
Well, here ya go.​

Some of these tracks look really good, on the other hand, some of them need more pizzazz.
I think in the picture at Night Speedway the road needs to be wider and there should be grass under the trees. Trees shouldn't be on roads silly. I'll try the rest of the maps.

In the 6th picture, you need some lower pegged grass textures around the path.

I have now tried all the maps. Most of your maps need arrows pointing to the direction where you need to go because it gets confusing on where you need to go.

Also at GG Death Egg, whats up with the check points every 2 seconds. The blue lasers don't kill you, why do you need so many? I recommend having most checkpoints on the turns so people can't just boost through the off road parts. Some tracks should use the diagonal springs more than the upper springs, because its easy to get off course.

At the Space Colony, there is one part where I boosted and I went right over the road I was supposed to land on; diagonal springs should be used when there is a hard turn coming up because it slows down your character.

Also some narrow sections of your maps should be wider, like at U-Turn a Chao Circuit. I kept driving into the grass every time.
Make your boost panels actually look like boost panels because the first time it confused me a lot. I thought they were death pits so I tried to avoid them.

Most of the other things I have to say have been already said by Mr. Chezz. I probably repeated some of it, but oh well. Good luck and continue working on your levels.

Last edited:
Some of these tracks look really good, on the other hand, some of them need more pizzazz.
I think in the picture at Night Speedway the road needs to be wider and there should be grass under the trees. Trees shouldn't be on roads silly. I'll try the rest of the maps.
I'm not sure why I put the trees there, but otherwise it'd look boring. And, personally, senselessness > boring in most cases, especially in video games. Maybe I'll make the edges offroad grass so it'll make more sense.

In the 6th picture, you need some lower pegged grass textures around the path.
Good idea. =)

I have now tried all the maps. Most of your maps need arrows pointing to the direction where you need to go because it gets confusing on where you need to go.
I've been trying to make it so that no matter where you go, you won't end up at a dead end, since arrows are...hideous. Also, at the time, I didn't have access to any of the pretty arrows that came with the Kart Resources wad. But I'll be sure to make it more obvious.

Also at GG Death Egg, whats up with the check points every 2 seconds. The blue lasers don't kill you, why do you need so many? I recommend having most checkpoints on the turns so people can't just boost through the off road parts. Some tracks should use the diagonal springs more than the upper springs, because its easy to get off course.
If there aren't check points like that in GG Death Egg, it'd be too easy to cut across the course with, say, invincibility, unless I put an asinine amount of lasers, and even then that's still kind of too easy. I tried to make it so that a player could cut across almost nothing (also, most of the checkpoints are on turns, if you look again). As for the spring thing, you'll have to name specific courses.

At the Space Colony, there is one part where I boosted and I went right over the road I was supposed to land on; diagonal springs should be used when there is a hard turn coming up because it slows down your character.
Yeah...about that. Regular springs are at that particular course on purpose, because you could freely turn after getting propelled by the "springs" in the original game. So, you'll have to tell me exactly what part I'm talking about so I can see if I can change it.

Also some narrow sections of your maps should be wider, like at U-Turn a Chao Circuit. I kept driving into the grass every time.
Make your boost panels actually look like boost panels because the first time it confused me a lot. I thought they were death pits so I tried to avoid them.
Ah, that turn again. No matter how many times I tried to make it wider, it never worked (probably because I can't move the path after it). I'll try harder. =p
Also, the boost panel thing may not happen. I mean, they may be circles, but if the sky is blue and if they're constantly placed everywhere right in front of important things, you can tell that the orange circles aren't death pits, right?

Most of the other things I have to say have been already said by Mr. Chezz. I probably repeated some of it, but oh well. Good luck and continue working on your levels.
Finally, someone else who cares. Thanks! =p

To Mr. Chezz, I'll probably fix just about everything you mentioned in that post. Everything. Except for two things...
Dragon Jungle:
2a9zbsx.png

Make this series of turns much wider and possibly make the step where the checkpoint is a lot longer. Seriously, that 2nd turn practically comes out of nowhere. The player needs more time, so he/she could see the turn coming and react accordingly. Also, shorten the steps( or add more steps there), as shrunken players may get stuck at those steps
The underlined parts probably won't happen, for similar reasons. I can't add more steps because there's not enough room, but I can make the step where the checkpoint is longer. Just not a lot longer, for the same reason. But it probably doesn't matter much anyway. The first one was a "possibly" and the second was the second option out of two, and the first already happened.
The second thing is the checkpoint thing in GG Death Egg, which I already explained in my response to Razor. I can extend the sectors on the sides that aren't shortcuts, but those sides only. Otherwise the level will be too easily broken.
Oh yeah, and I actually designed Cloud Tops 1 and 2 to be flat on purpose, because I wanted them to be based on classic kart levels. I can shape it and add decoration, but the depth...don't count on too much of it.
EDIT: I thought quotes were supposed to merge with other posts...this explains the double post, sorry!

Last edited:
but I can make the step where the checkpoint is longer. Just not a lot longer, for the same reason.
You could try to make more space in the level itself, so you are capable of making that step a decent enough length. It may also require you to edit sections of the level that are near to this area, but I'd say it'd be worth it really.

The second thing is the checkpoint thing in GG Death Egg, which I already explained in my response to Razor. I can extend the sectors on the sides that aren't shortcuts, but those sides only. Otherwise the level will be too easily broken.

This is another reason why adding some structures on the inner off-road part would be beneficial. Not only could you add them to make the inner off-road part look less empty, but you can also use those to block off areas where it would normally be possible to break the level( With the exception of the 3rd checkpoint, I don't think it'd be possible to cut through the level without missing any checkpoints anyway. Besides, that's only a small cut in the track itself really.).

I fear I may have misunderstood you before I released 3.0, but it's too late now. =p

So, 3.0 is out. Major changes:

• City Circuit renamed to Downtown Circuit
  • Preexisting levels vastly different, some very and some just mostly
  • Coins moved
  • Whirlwind shortcuts added in some levels
  • No more getting stuck in case you fall out of bounds-there's always a way to get back, whether it's death or gas jets (I'm actually not sure about this in Death Egg, but getting stuck there shouldn't happen unless you suck really bad or are trying too hard)

Last edited:
Some of these maps are looking a lot better, nice work. I haven't tested out the newest version yet.

... Well in case you still haven't, 3.1 is out.
Nothing notable has changed, but some new borders have been added at a few sharp turns at some of the levels, and now all of the whirlwind shortcuts can only be reached when you actually have a whirlwind shield. =p Also, two actual boost pads have been added in Chao Circuit, 'cause I figured I don't use enough of them...

After trying this out I can see a few flaws across most of the maps that should be fixed:

• A lot of the maps have areas where the track is very narrow, meaning that you can fall off quite easily.
  • On some of the narrow paths there are very tight turns, notably in Night Speedway I believe, where even though you've placed boost pads, they're easy to miss.
  • You should try and tone down the amount of times you use springs and make it into a continued track instead, this mostly needs to be done with the diagonal springs as they remove most of the interaction.
  • A lot of the time your maps stop people from being able to see what is coming up next, this happens from you putting corners right after steep cliffs or making it so that directly after falling underwater there is a turn.
  • After some springs you need to extend the track afterwards, for example, in one track I hit a spring and landed right next to the barrier of the track on the grass.
  • Some of the turns are too tight and you need to slow down a lot to get past them, metal sonic might struggle to complete a lot of the maps, try and extend them and make them wider, this will also help with replacing some of the boost pads.
  • Some of the maps have very cramped areas which need to be spaced out so that players are able to dodge item boxes and bananas that are placed there.
  • You need to make sure that all of your boosters have the continuous linedef executor, there was one I can remember that didn't in space colony I believe.
  • Lower any death pits that are the same height as the track so that players can drive on the edge and not die.
  • Make narrow parts of your tracks wider to allow people to get around most tighter turns without boost pads.
  • The boost pads are very small and look like random blobs on the floor, I'd suggest changing them to something more recognisable and making them larger where they are necessary to be kept.
  • In Death Egg a part that I thought was a short-cut I believe didn't have a checkpoint, meaning that a few people I think missed that checkpoint. I think a few people also missed checkpoints in other parts. It might also be a good idea to try making the map larger so that there is more space and it is easier to get around some of the tight turns.
  • Iron ruin uses bridge textures as pipes for some reason, I suggest using the THZ pipes instead, I don't know why steam would come out of wood anyway.
  • After some diagonal springs I would hit a wall and bounce off if I didn't press the accelerate key for a second to let myself turn completely in a netgame, you should try to avoid this happening.

If you fix these issues for all the tracks I might go through each one to suggest improvements later.

Ok, well I've got like 30 minutes to two hours of spare time, so I think I'll make this rundown for you now :) Be prepared Chaotic Chao, you're in for a long read. Thank goodness I had a full 1 1/2 hours of free time to make this list of comments for you.

I'll start off by going through dungeon maze.

So at first the level looks promising, with a nice turn to the right. I of coursee go there, and are suddenly speedpadded onto some grey springs. There's quite a few issues ith this. First of all, it makes the speed pads quite meaningless after you know how it works, and theres no arrow to tell us which way to go. Afterwards is a vert, very sharp turn right (135 degrees) its preposterous for any kart to turn around unless you're maybe Waluigi, but any other kart needs to slow down as it turns, which messes up the flow in kart a little. then I come across some apparently downward diagonal springs thatll pull me too the floor (I would already fall down anyway) It's a nifty idea, but it gets overused later in the mod. Second is the series of speedpads that railroad the player. If you really want to railroad a playewr, you should use a zoomtube as it preserves slide boosts. Otherwise, make an actual turn. Oh and finally, you might want to lower the deathpit quite a bit, because a deathpit that clips isn't fun. I know you want to be efficient with your work, but it's necessary for smooth play, like pit hopping, or sliding over a corner. After reaching red springs which rammed me into a wall, I come across a jump with blue springs. This will unfortunately be unforgiving, like Cloud Cradle is. If you want to really make it a challenge spot, at least place a checkpoint before the jump and make an invisible kill floow just below the upper level so that players don't have to fall to their doom. This is a kart game which reqires fast movement and anticipation. Otherwise, it would be safer to use diagonal springs. There's diagonal blue springs too. I know you put a speed pad to help guide them, but why a circle speed pad? It would be much easier if the speed pad was a strip. If you really dare it to be a challenging level, then by all mans go for it :) OVerall this levels is quite cramped and really needs more space for karts to thrive, as well as some mushroom friendly areas.

Next up is Cloud Tops 1.

I'll be honest with you, this is the prime of your pack. It has some raceable turns, a few straightaways to use mushrooms, plenty of dynamics, and I like how you used multiple layers in your level, giving it depth. It also has a very nifty cross-path that I think works very well, and is timed just right for cross-fire to happen there. I had a very fun 3 laps through this level, and I could actually consider it in the official rotation too! Despite it being so magnificent, I find some small issues with it, but they're only minor! :) The only real problem is trying to see where you're goign sometimes. There's so much qhite around that it gets hard to see where to go or if something is a wall and ect. I understand its a cloud level and this must always be white, but sometimes yu need something like arrows, to tell unweary drivers where to go :P

And now for Night Speedway.

This level is more of a mixed bag. It's one of the more better decorated levels, and it made me smile a little. But as I played through it, I noticed one grand thing; there's absolutely NO RAILS, except for that one part at the beginning beyond the speed pad. That speed pad may be trying to help but it doesn't anyway, so you might need to take it out. The level is a small bit bigger, and has some leniance to mushrooms in some areas. The most annoting part of this level, is probably the first blue spring jump after the swirl. The swirl was a very, VERY nice innovation for your level, but you might need toi add an extra checkpoint inside the tunnel, because I found I could fall and hit the checkpoint below, then hit the blue springs, for a gaping shortcut. Also, in the upper path of that swirl path, there was a building extruding onto the track whichruined my drift and also made me fall ove and over again! Another problem area is that dash pad at the end of the level. I believe it needs some more leniance to it, perhaps either a guard rail that isn't bouncy, or an extra section of track to spring up onto. Other than that, all I feel is it needs to be a tiny bit bigger and have some rails (Because this level is absolutely unfair without rails, especially in C-Lag)

Downtown Circuit.

Hewre's a prime example of how a little track can be so much. This may be a small level, but it's actually really well layed out! IT just needs to be enlarged a little more, to about 150%-200%. This is because the road paths are too small for players to drift through effectively. Of course, a very skilled drifter like me had no problem whatsoever. But I still hit a few walls beyond my control, which says something! Additionally, you will need some longer straightaways in the middle of the figure 8 for those that want to use mushroom or star or whatever. This course, with the changes made, will make it a more fair course to drive through and will take about 2 minutes to complete in 5 laps, maybe more. At that point it might be considerable to have it run for 4 laps. Oh, and one more thing, you might want to add a few more buildings to the scenery, that might make it feel more like a downtiwn ^^

Cloud Tops 2.

This has the exact same commentary as Cloud Tops 1. The only exception is there's too much railroading via speedpads, and it would be cool if I could make the turns myself. If you extend the turn a bit, players could eaxsily make that gap themselves :) And secondly, at the part where you actually enclose the track in walls, thewre is a very, VERY narow path with walls that makes it impossible to come out of with a drift, or go into. You might want to take out the wall on one side ot make it wider.

GBA Ganbare Dochu 2

Unfortunately, this is a port from a game I don't quite know of yet, so I can't help you much here. However, there is one part with the water, where you can clip off the bridge onto the water. In this case, you need to make the pit there lower, and use some more water on top of that pit :) And It'll be ready to go! I don't see mich more problems other than that.

Dragon Jungle

This map is actually wonderful as it is right now! The layout is nice, the sight is pretty, and it's beautifully decorated too. It's a lot of fun too! There's just a few setbacks which hold this level from getting it's entire potential. The first thing to note is the speedpad jump at the beginning of the level. I know how you put blue springs there for those that miss the speed pad, but I just bounce off the wall, onto the blue springs, and into the pit anyway. The best solution is to make the speed pad bigger so players always hit it. Secondly, is the fact that it has some very tight turns that are not fun to drift in. You could make the turns wider for players to drive through, that would help a lot! I liked the wavy ramp near the checkpoint, but it would be good if the player had sufficient warning to it, as they can;t see over that wavy ramp. Finally, when you're mega, you can simplydrive over the walls. The problem with this is that the outer areas are classified as deathpit, making it a clipping deathpti for megas. If you intended to allow mega players to clip the wall for a shortcut, you should add leniance to that :P

GG Death Egg, a port of a game I know and love.

I'll be honest, I actually dreamed of porting this to SRB2 many years ago for SRB2Riders. Looks like you had that thought too! I also noticed you have the checkpoint with set limitations. The problem with this is, there's probablility of players missing checkpoints without knowing, or the chance of a player going far into the slow down areas and not being able to recover well. I suggest that you add walls arod the track, and extend your checkpoints to the walls. (Even the Game Gear limited you to being close to the road) I really love how you used flashing sectors in replacement for the static orbs used in the GG Death Egg. Perhaps we can make a custom object that you can fit in there, so that they look like the real thing. :) Other than what I said, this is yet another fantastic port made by you. Additionally, I found the rings scattered along the track. This is actually leftover from the so called "Coin Boost" code, that was not intended to be used again. It's a glitch. But, since they really help out the level in a way to keep it accurate, you should make the placement of those rings very limited like you did in Cloud Tops. This is because it starts to stack and become overpowered when you place large groups. This also happens in Iron Ruin, so keep that in mind.

Chao Circuit 1

This is a rather easy fix. This level's laout and design is amazing as it is right now. All that's needed is to enlarge the entire level by 150-200%, and add more checkpoints, and some signs to designate the way, that's all there is to it! No glitches and errors really here. This really is a fun level that also will live its potential.

GBA Space Colony 1

Yet again, another wonderful level that can't live to it's potential because of some errors. It's also apparently a port of a level I don't know, so I can't help with the layout. But what I can say, is that the little holes in the middle shouldn't be clipped onto. If you can do anything about that, that would be pretty cool. Unless they're suppoed to do that in the original GBA game. Additionally, you shuld make the booster pads use "Continuous" instead of "Each Time" in the linedef exacutor. The Each Time executor is bugged and works for some nodes only. When you do that and fix the booster pads, you'll find the double line of yellow springs will get fixed too. Tat's pretty much all you need to do! IT's a really fun level that's interesting and has nice music!

GG Iron Ruin, my favourite level from Sonic Drift 2.

Since it's my favourite stage, I can be extrensively picky about how it is. The problem is, it's well.. perfect. I have nothing to complain about really, this is a very pretty representation of the Iron Ruin from Game Gear, and I feel inclined to move it to the official rotation right away! You even added a few nifty feathercuts to it woo, which I loved! And it's also relatively easy for players to use a mushroom through too. There's only a minor error with the checkpoints though. The only problem is that you can't hit checkpoints while driving on the white and grey striped perimeter of the road. Other than that, it surpasses what I'd expect out of a port. Especially the scenery around the level too! Outstanding ^^ Also I notice how you tried to use the textures you had. If you need custom textures, you could ask me, I could try and make you some :)

So there you go, I went and drive through every single level and gave you some detailed feedback for each one! I wish you best of luck with your levels, I'm always glad to help :D

All this helps except for one thing-I don't know what a rail is. Aside from the things you grind on since Sonic Adventure 2, I have no idea what those are. =p

A rail, also known as a "Guard Rail", is an object that helps keep cars on the road.

Some examples would be a metal railing, kinda like this:
V%C3%A4gr%C3%A4cken_dobbelt_480px.jpg

Or perhaps a divider, like this:
stock-photo-old-concrete-river-bridge-railing-and-road-601666.jpg

They are like barriers.

They exist in SRB2Kart as a wall, and help protect players from falling off in some instances.

The kind of rail I showed you is called a guard barrier/rail, used for streets. The kind of rails Sonic grinds on is in fact the common Pedestrian rail. The rails beyond City Escape in Sonic Adventure 2 are very exaggerated Pedestrian rails.

P.S. Kathy thinks my post here is stupid. :P

Last edited:
3.2 is out now!
The levels are way different from how they were in 3.1...well, some of them. Most of them. The GBA levels are mostly the same.

So I got the chance to try this version out and after seeing the improvements and changes that you've made to the levels, I couldn't help but smile. I'm at my cousin's house till Friday, so I don't know whether I'll get the chance to fully re-review your levels once again, since I can't guarantee I'll get a netgame going.

Oh, there was one definite issue I encountered in Dragon Jungle, which I've put in my first post, so yeah.

Last edited:
Well, 4.0 is finally out. I've overcome the laziness and the Christmas presents, and have finally released something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back