Is it safe to allow SRB2 through my firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Find the SRB2 room!
I'm just wondering whether I have to allow SRB2 through Windows Firewall. Is it safe? Because every time I try to join a game, it just shows the title screen forever and ever and nothing happens.

I'm just wondering whether I have to allow SRB2 through Windows Firewall. Is it safe? Because every time I try to join a game, it just shows the title screen forever and ever and nothing happens.
If you were trying a sever with "inn" in it's name, then yeah that might happen, try joining another netgame, it worked for me.

If you were trying a sever with "inn" in it's name, then yeah that might happen, try joining another netgame, it worked for me.

Still dosen't work. If it displays the title screen after you try to join a server, is there any indication that it's attempting to connect?

Besides, the question was whether it was necessary and safe to allow SRB2 through Windows Firewall.

Still dosen't work. If it displays the title screen after you try to join a server, is there any indication that it's attempting to connect?

Besides, the question was whether it was necessary and safe to allow SRB2 through Windows Firewall.

Sorry about that.
Okay, If you want to let srb2 through windows firewall and stay safe, join netgames without any mods in it, as ones with mods in may contain viruses, and srb2 will automatically download these mods, possibly with viruses in. But take that with a pinch of salt though, as I've played many netgames with no sign of working firewall and have never got anything from netgames, modded or not, with viruses in it, so I think you can let srb2 through your firewall without getting those nasties on your pc, as it's highly unlikely that you will. I hope that helped.

What? It not possible to put viruses in wads... I downloaded bunch of wads and still don't have viruses.

Sorry about that.
Okay, If you want to let srb2 through windows firewall and stay safe, join netgames without any mods in it, as ones with mods in may contain viruses.

Stopped reading there.

SRB2 is as safe to allow through your firewall as any other legitimate game or program. Almost all programs that have online functions are transmitting data back and forth so the ability to "add viruses to mods" is a ridiculous reason to fear SRB2. This is a possibility for any program, this is possible in SRB2 without modifications.

Ok, listen. Yes, you need to let SRB2 through your firewall to play netgames. This is as safe as letting any other program through your firewall. Moreso, even! Because the source code for SRB2 is publicly available, you already know what it is and isn't transmitting and how. Yes, there are risks to allowing programs through your firewall, but you aren't taking any more risks with SRB2 than you wouldn be with any other program.

tl;dr
Yes, it is safe.

Ok, thanks Rob.

Now, is it normal that it displays the title screen forever when trying to join a server?

Is there ANY indication that it's downloading data?

I'm not joining an inn server, just a normal server. Unmodded, uncheated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back