Windows Vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vista is fine. I get a few problems in a few folders (Which have gbs of files in them), and that's it. No lag, no crashes, nothing. Sure, DB doesn't work, but it's just outdated. Besides, there's a fix for it anyways. Vista is not as bad as people say. People just flame people saying it for no reason. It's a bandwagon that you shouldn't ride.

For those who don't like walls of text, Vista is not as bad as people say. Thank you and good day.

It's only as good as the computer running it, so...

If you say Vista sucks, your PC must suck.

If you say Vista is great, your PC may or may not be totally awesome.

Often when people say Vista sucks, they are referring to program compatibility. Many programs have had to been rebuilt for Vista, and have never worked as well as there XP counterparts, and the XP version would crash.

Cue said:
It's only as good as the computer running it, so...

If you say Vista sucks, your PC must suck.

If you say Vista is great, your PC may or may not be totally awesome.

But if you say XP is great but stll have Vista <enter>

Windows Vista requires more resources just for itself than most people need for their software everyday. Don't even get me started on it's horrid compatibility with sometimes-important programs or hardware...
It's just a bloated pile of crap that has done nothing but make people hate Windows even more. Anyone who likes it and tells others "it's not so bad" must obviously either have a workstation at their house, or hardly use their PCs for anything other than web browsing/email and basic work/simple games.
The average computer user won't have too many complaints about Vista because it looks nice and does the stuff they want. While anyone who needs the resources that Vista is staking out for itself would die looking at the excessive number of background services, processes, and RAM usage that's going on under the hood, it's insane.
At least MS has acknowledged Vista as an issue. I can't wait to see how the performance on Windows 7 will turn out, their cutting down on lots of that bloat. Too bad my Master Boot Record has run out of room for Primary partitions, :( otherwise I'd look into getting the beta.

My biggest problem with Vista is that DB crashes unexpectedly, and there's nothing I can do to fix it.

What are you guys talking about? Open GL and Doom Builer works fine with SRB2. Besides Windows Vista can be updated from time to time.

Dr.Pepper said:
While anyone who needs the resources that Vista is staking out for itself would die looking at the excessive number of background services, processes, and RAM usage that's going on under the hood, it's insane.

I am a Crysis player, I need a lot more resources than most people, yet I am not complaining about it, am I?

Yeah, well not everyone has an over 9000 dollar computer like you. Mine came with vista, I tried it, hated it partly because on a fresh install it was using more than half of my CPU and ram, and partly because programs that came in a zip file that I extracted to the program files wouldn't run. So I promptly installed XP. The only good thing about it is directX 10.

i have vista, and when i first got it IT SUCKED. but now, after many many updates, its not so bad. in fact i LIKE it. the only problem is that most of the editors i try to use have error messages every time i click, even on a blank spot. i don't recommend vista if you wad very much.

Vista does ICS better than XP. A lot better.

... that's about it. Whatever new features that were actually good were the ones to improve performance - except Vista itself nullifys any true positive effects of those. XP (Oh, yes, I love TinyXP) runs a hell of a lot faster, and you aren't losing ANYTHING; Besides maybe DirectX10, but... eh, not worth the trade. The best idea would be to, erm, "obtain" XP beforehand so thusly when you get your new PC, you can kill that pathetic mammoth of a OS.

... People here are mentioning Linux. If you want to look at something [not quite as] different [as you would think], I would suggest trying out a few distros like Ubuntu (ugh) and Puppy on a LiveCD and seeing if you like those or not. Linux is becoming more and more userfriendly every day - if you can handle the hassles of Windows XP, you can handle a desktop Linux. They're not the same thing, though, so don't expect everything to work the same way it does in XP; XP's methods aren't the only logical ones, you know.
Essentially everything minor (not gaming) in XP you need to do, you can do in a modern Linux, so I'd still give it a shot on a LiveCD if only for the different experience. SRB2 wise, I recall most things working fine on WINE, but Linux is not a very SRB2 friendly OS.

Oh, and please, if you're getting a new PC, make sure it has a PCIe slot. Or a PCIe video card of some sort. Never, ever get integrated graphics.

I currently have a substitute computer which has XP and gets the job done. But it's got a really small screen and kinda sucks, so I will probably be getting a new computer in the foreseeable future.

By the way, someone here said there's a fix for DB problems on Vista. What's the fix? Also, are there any issues with XWE and SLumpEd?

Actually, I haven't had any problems running SRB2DB in Vista, it just installed and ran. Same with XWE and SlumpEd.

They do work but unlike xp if something goes wrong it closes rather than xp it will display the problem and let you fix it.

Silent_Snipe said:
They do work but unlike xp if something goes wrong it closes rather than xp it will display the problem and let you fix it.

In other words, vista does less to help you solve the problem and you would have to do it normally with what little you might know
where as XP displays the problem so you can keep the monkey off your back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back