Win10 is being forced as an important update to Win7 users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows 10 has literally killed the FPS in most of my games, even with my HD7850, i had to roll back to Windows 7 SP1, Nice try Microsoft, i turned off the updates :P .

I had similar pains when I updated my gaming rig to Win10 once in August. Games that had solid 60fps literally cut to 30fps. Games that played smoothly now played like the Xbox One.

Now, as of February, I have done a reset on Windows 8, updated to Windows 10, and of course, fresh-installed everything. The framerate problem is now no longer a problem.

As much as it sucks, you SHOULD reset the OS when you plan an upgrade. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle. I would also jot it down to improvements on the driver side. AMD has really cleaned up their interface. No word on Nvidia.

What I did was remove the GWX folder from System32 and it seems to have stopped it from showing the notification as well as stop the auto-update.

Pretty fucking stupid that Microsoft would force an OS installation under an auto-update like this.

Thankfully I have auto-updates disabled, so I didn't even notice.

Wait, no I don't. What the hell, how am I still on Win7?

Last edited:
I made it a point to keep updates turned off on my Windows 8.1 laptop for various reasons. (Updates like to break things and slow down the OS.) Because of not having updated it in nearly two years, I haven't received a single notification about upgrading to Windows 10, and I'm keeping it that way.

While it seems like a good step forward as an OS, (Virtual desktops! Where have you been for the past 20 years, Microsoft?) Windows 10 is simply not ready yet for all kinds of hardware. There's no clean way to keep forced updates turned off on Windows 10 either, and that's more alarming to me than the telemetry stuff.

Microsoft appear to be floundering with their support for PC games as well. They're seriously getting off on the wrong foot here. This is a shame because Windows 10 has so much potential to shine as the next iteration of the OS.

Windows 10 is being forced as an important update to Windows 7 users

until July 29th, apparently. I only know this now because after the last reboot I did, there was actually this full-screen notification at startup saying "sorry to interrupt,"

haha no i'm not having that

I still don't understand how I'm on Windows 7 right now, seeing that my friend was randomly upgraded to it like a month ago.

I still don't understand how I'm on Windows 7 right now, seeing that my friend was randomly upgraded to it like a month ago.
Must be your update settings, set to not install updates automatically.

Games that played smoothly now played like the Xbox One.
I thought that was the point?

This is the Microsoft Windows Universal Platform, after all! :D An excuse for game developers who would formally have to actually put in at least a minimal effort to get their games ported to PC to instead say "fuck it, let's just release it for Windows 10, that's what Microsoft wants us to do anyway" and give you a direct copy of the Xbox One version.

Like, for instance, Dark Souls 1 and 2? They were shitty ports, but they were at least ports and released on Steam and whatnot. And the playerbase they gained from doing that was great enough that it convinced them to re-release Dark Souls 2 with some more proper fixes for the 60 fps framerate and give Dark Souls 3 a much better PC release right off the bat.

That's not going to happen anymore. Why would anyone bother? This is Microsoft seeing that people don't want to update their Windows anymore, and want to stay on XP or 7 forever, and doing everything they can to kill off their own previous versions of the platform, by enticing it with exclusive games and apps and peripherals (such as the Xbox One controller, which they only backported to Windows 7 for the sake of Oculus Rift...) and then acting to ensure they don't just lose their existing userbase by trying their best to force an auto-upgrade. And then Windows 10 will force more auto-updates whenever Microsoft likes, so this can be their be-all end-all OS that they can force anything on you with, because you're not a paid customer of their OS anymore, you're a potential app-purchaser with a distinct search history and other tracking things they're trying to figure you out with.

Last edited:
If they're going to market the OS as a Not-XBOX, Windows 10 needs more end-user options and less micromanagement getting in the way of productivity and play, before I'll move.

I'd rather buy a Steambox with Ubuntu, as limiting as that would be for Steam, than deal with Windows 10 restarting itself unwarranted for updates, throttling system performance while updating stealthily in the background, defragging when I didn't tell it to, and in general throwing far too much nonsense my way when I'm trying to actually use my PC. I seriously shouldn't have to constantly keep tabs on what Windows is doing behind my back with Task Manager before I start up a demanding program or game.

And without PC ports of the Halo Saga, they're not giving me enough incentive to upgrade my Windows 8.1 installs for exclusive games. (And I will completely wipe it to give Ubuntu that space if either of my computers update to 10 on me without my permission. The 29th can't get here sooner.) Even Minecraft isn't worth making the upgrade for, at least by itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back