OpenGL Not Working... At All

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalikTH

Now, I'm not sure if this was discussed elsewhere (I researched the best I can, believe me here), and if it is, I'm sorry. But whenever I try to open SRB2 using OpenGL using this launcher, the game does show up, but has a completely black screen. I am stuck using the other rendering option (I forget what it's called, lol). Sometimes music plays, sometimes it doesn't. When I use the arrow keys, I do not hear the sound effect that indicates the keypress, so I assume that I cannot do anything of that sort.

I heard something about the default renderer being discontinued in 2.2 a few hours ago. I still want to play the game, hence why I call this to attention.

Screenshot:
cwh5l6

NOTE1: The window is obscured due to the size of my monitor. Other things may be shown near the top or the bottom of the game.
NOTE2: If the image does not show on your side (it doesn't for me), let me know.

Image doesn't show.

Try setting a windowed resolution with the launcher, that works for me.

We're discontinuing the DD builds, but both software and OpenGL mode will be continue to exist.

I heard something about the default renderer being discontinued in 2.2 a few hours ago. I still want to play the game, hence why I call this to attention.

I have to wonder where you got this info from... We are not discontinuing the software renderer (certainly not with the state and age of our OpenGL rendering code currently, anyway), though on the other hand the old DirectDraw interface/API we used for older versions of SRB2 is indeed being discontinued. But that's not a renderer, anyhow.

I have to wonder where you got this info from... We are not discontinuing the software renderer (certainly not with the state and age of our OpenGL rendering code currently, anyway), though on the other hand the old DirectDraw interface/API we used for older versions of SRB2 is indeed being discontinued. But that's not a renderer, anyhow.
Wait.. No more Windows(srb2win.exe) playing? We have to do OpenGL now? Because my computer can't play opengl.

Wait.. No more Windows(srb2win.exe) playing? We have to do OpenGL now? Because my computer can't play opengl.
srb2dd.exe: DirectDraw, has only existed since version 2.1.12, is (almost definitely) going to be removed in version 2.2.
srb2win.exe: SDL2, was DirectDraw until version 2.1.12, is going to stay in version 2.2.

Software renderer: The default renderer, basically the non-OpenGL renderer, regardless of whether you're using the DirectDraw or SDL2 backend executable.
OpenGL renderer: The renderer used when specifying "-opengl" when launching the game, again regardless of whether you're using the DirectDraw or SDL2 backend.

In other words, OpenGL is (almost definitely) going to stay, software rendering is going to stay (and it'll remain the default renderer), and srb2win.exe is also going to stay.

Guys, guys, misunderstood, sorry, ignore that, yada yada yada...

So, srb2dd.exe is removed? Okay, that makes a LOT more sense. Sorry for the apparent confusion, I took the information completely wrong. don't kill me

ANYWAY,

Image doesn't show.

Try setting a windowed resolution with the launcher, that works for me.

We're discontinuing the DD builds, but both software and OpenGL mode will be continue to exist.

I'll try it.

You can still play srb2win.exe in OGL, just try not playing OGL in srb2dd.exe.

I was using srb2win.

Try reading again, I said DirectDraw was depricated, not software. DirectDraw is what srb2dd.exe uses, not srb2win.exe (which uses SDL instead).

Do I have to bring out my diagram again explaining that software and OpenGL exist in both exes? Rather than, as some people think, one exe has just software and another has just OpenGL, which is entirely wrong of course.

I think what's so confusing about it is that not only does DirectDraw sound like something that would draw something on a screen, but for me it was also confusing because DirectDraw is a rendering option in SNES9x alongside Direct3D and OpenGL

Yeah ultimately I'm not sure why we call it the "DirectDraw" version, really it''s more just a "DirectX" version as far as I'm aware. (DirectX includes DirectDraw, DirectInput, other Directname stuff I can't think of right now). Just happens that srb2dd.exe's software mode uses DirectDraw to work, while OpenGL runs itself so I'm aware? While SDL2, which is used by srb2win.exe, does ...whatever SDL2 does with software and OpenGL. I honestly don't know properly. x_x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back