This might not be able to be fixed, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSEW

I have a problem...just about every netgame I join, I cause a lag. I use DSL and I never had such a problem before. I also used to be able to join and the master server had many more servers it was running at this time. Does anyone have any suggestions to help this problem? The only programs that are running are AVGs and I've had them for months. Suggestions that might help reduce/eliminate the lag I create would be fantastic.

These are things I cannot do:
Mess with the IP address...unless I have EXCELLENT directions on how to
Change vital settings
Quit any protection programs I have (AVG)
Take my computer apart (or modem)

Things I've already tried:
Restarting the computer (KTHXBYE)
"Repairing" the connection

Things I don't want to resort to (but if I have to I will):
Windowed Mode or Lower Resolution

I KNOW this is probably the most n00bish thing I could post, but this has been bugging me for some time now.

Very well. Remember to take down as much programs as possible. Check CPU usage in Windows Task manager(hold ALT+CTRL+Delete), and if needed, close down some non-vital programs from there if needed. Make sure CPU is as low as possible. Now, I know you indeed said you wouldn't close down AVG, but doing so is really for the best. If you really don't want to do that, then at least don't run the virus scanner or something.

Except for programs, it can just plain be your internal hard drive too. Don't keep too much useless junk there, since it'll slow you computer down a bit. Also, if you have multiple computers on 1 connection, its best to try play a netgame without other computers being on it.

I only have 2 AVGs, AntiSpyware and AntiVirus, and they are scheduled for scanning and updating at 2 and 4a.m, when I'm *generally* not on the computer (don't get the wrong idea), so I don't run scans at all during the day. Additionally, they are the ONLY two programs active most of the time, and they only act as shields, and are imperative for internet surfing.

I'm talking about a lag that's been going on for a long time, a lag that started happening out of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back