Megaman 8-Bit Deathmatch RELEASED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aand here it is! Cutman has murdered Skulltag once again. :3

NOTE: The Mega Man font from the SGC demo has been replaced with a more readable one. If it bothers you, you can just use the same SLumpEd you have for SRB2 editing to copy the demo's SMALLFNT and CONFONT lumps to the final.

Last edited:
The single player mode is boring because the bots are stupidly coded; some of them don't even work in the stages provided. If you happen to lose a match, then you have to do the stage all over again, which is another five-ten minutes down the drain. At least the training room is a great way for new players to get a hands-on perspective on all the weapons before getting their ass creamed in the servers. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

The weapons make the game, but unfortunately the equally vast skin gallery has no effect on that element. Would be quite nice if there was a mode that used the character skins toward the game's advantage, ie, some sort of unique robot master ability mode. As it stands, I just use the skins that look best in motion and have small sprites.

As for aesthetics... egh. Some of the stages look pretty good. Then there are other textures which just don't really work. I think the MM8BDM community will eventually come up with ways to improve on this while staying in the "8-bit" specifications.

A word of advice for whoever wants to pick this up? Join the smaller servers. 32 maxplayers is not a balanced or sensible number for the size of these maps, and it's going to result in a lot of cheap deaths and not enough coherency to really have fun. Look for a server that has around 4 to 12 players -- the kind of number you would look for in an SRB2 match server.

The single player mode is boring because the bots are stupidly coded; some of them don't even work in the stages provided. If you happen to lose a match, then you have to do the stage all over again, which is another five-ten minutes down the drain. At least the training room is a great way for new players to get a hands-on perspective on all the weapons before getting their ass creamed in the servers. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it.

Don't forget the bosses! Anyway, the stupid-ass bots are a Skulltag issue; if you want them to be better, grab the old source code and fix them yourself. I remember somebody else saying that the next version would save your game by stage instead of by chapter also.

The weapons make the game, but unfortunately the equally vast skin gallery has no effect on that element. Would be quite nice if there was a mode that used the character skins toward the game's advantage, ie, some sort of unique robot master ability mode. As it stands, I just use the skins that look best in motion and have small sprites.

A class-based mode would be impossible to balance. Everyone would just play whichever class had the least common weakness.

As for aesthetics... egh. Some of the stages look pretty good. Then there are other textures which just don't really work. I think the MM8BDM community will eventually come up with ways to improve on this while staying in the "8-bit" specifications.

Blame Cutman's insistence that the stages be 100% faithful to the games.

A word of advice for whoever wants to pick this up? Join the smaller servers. 32 maxplayers is not a balanced or sensible number for the size of these maps, and it's going to result in a lot of cheap deaths and not enough coherency to really have fun. Look for a server that has around 4 to 12 players -- the kind of number you would look for in an SRB2 match server.

What else is new? You could say the same thing about any competitive game online.

Don't forget the bosses! Anyway, the stupid-ass bots are a Skulltag issue; if you want them to be better, grab the old source code and fix them yourself. I remember somebody else saying that the next version would save your game by stage instead of by chapter also.

I'm not blaming you guys for the AI. But if you could cut the amount of time I have to spend per stage, the campaign would feel a lot less tedious. I figured there were bosses, but I had enough of single player by the time I got to Fire Man's stage.

...And I didn't know it didn't save by stage. :E

A class-based mode would be impossible to balance. Everyone would just play whichever class had the least common weakness.
I'm not sure. A lot of the weapons seem pretty well balanced. Omitting the powerful ones out would require developer discretion, but I imagine it could still be done.

Blame Cutman's insistence that the stages be 100% faithful to the games.
What's this about not being faithful to the original stages? Modifying Elec stage's textures to be a little more subtle isn't going to make it not Elec Man's stage. Plus there's scenic possibilities that could make it feel more like the original, so I don't see how retro-accuracy impedes with anything.

What else is new? You could say the same thing about any competitive game online.
I bring it up because I'm seeing a lot of servers with a 32-player maxlimit. While a number like 24 could work with TF2, it doesn't quite work with Doom-centric games. So, yeah, just a word of advice for whoever doesn't know better.

I'm not sure. A lot of the weapons seem pretty well balanced. Omitting the powerful ones out would require developer discretion, but I imagine it could still be done.

MM8BDM FAQ said:
What Robot Masters can we play as?

Every single damn one from Mega Man 1 to 6. I may consider 9 and 10 in the future but right now only the bots from the NES games are all I’m interested in. There’ll be some extras like Proto Man and Doc Robot too. The spriters understand that all Mega Man fans have their own personal favourites so we want to get them all on here so no one is missing out. All the Robot Masters are skins of Mega Man however so don’t expect unique powers and such. Maybe for another time…

Why some other time? Robot Masters with their own weaknesses and powers would be awesome!

It might, but not for everyone. Allow me to explain. First of all, there’s over 40 different Robot Masters which would mean coding up each one separately which would take a long time. That’s not too much of a problem, but then you have to think about balance. Let’s say your favourite Robot Master was Air Man. The game is released, and you play for a while and you start to notice everyone is playing as Wood Man and Proto Man and no one else. Soon you realise that Proto and Wood Man are stronger than Air Man and you have two choices. Either pick a better class and put winning before personal taste, or send me complaints to even the balance by making Air Man stronger. Now think about all the other classes I’d get complaints from. It would be friggin’ crazy, and would defeat the purpose of being able to play as your favourite Robot Master. Ghouls vs Humans is a class based mod that’s been tweaked and changed since it’s beta release in 2008, and people STILL send me balance issues. Trust me, being able to pick up any weapon will be more fun in the long run.

I'm seeing a lot of servers with a 32-player maxlimit. While a number like 24 could work with TF2, it doesn't quite work with Doom-centric games.

The reason for that is a lot of people hosting servers are just here for Megaman and don't know enough to change the maxlimit.

While a number like 24 could work with TF2, it doesn't quite work with Doom-centric games.
It works fine with Doom, just not with 8-bit Deathmatch, a game where projectiles are flying everywhere at such a fast rate, and maps are smaller then they should be.

Recently played this on Saturday and Sunday, most fun I ever had in Skulltag, well-balanced weapons, great choice of characters to play as, and a great variety of Mega Man 1 - 6 levels redone in 3D deathmatch style.

And before you ask, I am indeed AshCrimson on Skulltag, and I will usually play servers with this mod.

You'll see me as TTM in skulltag, always playing in a Gyro Man skin, and quite possibly making random comments... especially on Crash Man's stage >:3

I tried the game out, and I'm rather impressed. The textures need to be made a tad darker, though. It may be NES graphics, but I've seen MUCH better texture quality in an NES game.

Wait... so a newer version has been released? The one I have only has Mega Man, Protoman, Bass, Roll, and Sniper Joe. There aren't that many stages either. If it's been updated, I can't wait to see what's new!

Wait... so a newer version has been released? The one I have only has Mega Man, Protoman, Bass, Roll, and Sniper Joe. There aren't that many stages either. If it's been updated, I can't wait to see what's new!

The full version came out a week ago. Mecha just didn't change the topic title :p

Okay, done.

My complaints so far:

1. Blizzard Attack deals too much damage
  2. Sakugarne is effectively only in MM3SHA
  3. Rush Coil spawns on top of you instead of in front of you like Rush Jet
  4. HYPAH BAWMBS are incredibly cheap

And before you ask, I am indeed AshCrimson on Skulltag, and I will usually play servers with this mod.
Heh, I've seen you in a few servers.

I go by the names "Super Flip" and "IMMATURBOMAN".

Also,

1. Blizzard Attack deals too much damage
That's because it's a close range weapon, just like Ringman's weapon *forgot the name of it*, and Rolling Cutter.

Air Tornado's a close range weapon, so it's understandably powerful.

Blizzard Attack is... that snow guy's attack from MM6, right? That's not a close range weapon. It spreads, but it's also not that difficult to hit someone at a range with one of the four shots. I can't remember how much damage it does, but yeah, it seems a little too powerful.

That's because it's a close range weapon, just like Ringman's weapon *forgot the name of it*, and Rolling Cutter.

It's called Ring Boomerang, and in this game Rolling Cutter is a medium-ranged weapon.

Blizzard Attack is... that snow guy's attack from MM6, right? That's not a close range weapon. It spreads, but it's also not that difficult to hit someone at a range with one of the four shots. I can't remember how much damage it does, but yeah, it seems a little too powerful.

Each flake does 25 damage - that's one quarter of your health. It is going to get an ammo nerf, though.

Last edited:
Thank god for that nerf.

BTW, I'm starting to enjoy using Pharaoh Shot in it's designated areas :3
It's like the mild version of Atomic Fire and Fire storm combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back