Resource icon

[Script] Mario Kart DS Drifting + Double Dash (kl_snaking_v1.1.lua)

Snu

YEAAHHHHHHHHH
Basically a Lua Script that turns drifting on it's head entirely, changing it to the system from Mario Kart DS!

attachment.php

To build up Miniturbo's with this type of drifting is pretty simple, all you have to do is drift outwards, then drift inwards in quick succession to build up your Miniturbo! This can be done multiple times on a straight line too, so you can gain speed extremely quick with successful drifts. (Also known as Snaking)

attachment.php

This also includes an alternate mode where it's more akin to Mario Kart Double Dash, requiring 2 Left/Right inputs to get a blue Miniturbo.

attachment.php

You can alternate between Drift modes using the command "kartsnaking", 0 turns it off, 1 is Mario Kart DS mode and 2 is Mario Kart Double Dash mode. When you change it it'll update on Map Change.

v1.1
- Weight now has an effect on drifting, the heavier you are, the quicker you can build up Miniturbos! However, this makes it so the Miniturbo don't last as long.
- The blue Miniturbo now lasts a bit longer in MKDD Mode.
- MKDD Mode also has a SFX now while charging up the Miniturbo, don't know why I forgot to do it sooner.

v1.0
- Initial release.

Attachments

• kart0225.gif
    kart0225.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 12,766
  • kart0232.gif
    kart0232.gif
    6.3 MB · Views: 17,957
  • kart0228.gif
    kart0228.gif
    4 MB · Views: 12,583
  • kart0227.gif
    kart0227.gif
    5.5 MB · Views: 502
  • kart0236.gif
    kart0236.gif
    5.4 MB · Views: 534
  • kl_snaking_v1.1.lua
    6 KB · Views: 2,155
Last edited:
I... don't even remember the last time we got a submission that was a .lua file instead of at least being in a .wad, but if the attachment system allows it, I suppose it's OK.

It's actually a shame to me that this mod works, because it feels utterly disgusting playing this way. I never wanted to go back to the days of waggling the stick back and forth on every damn turn, and needing to do so because of how far more efficient it is than actually driving. Flying right into the face of stat balance too; did you know in SRB2 Kart, heavier characters charge their boosts faster? Well, its all rendered moot by this system. Now, I'll still pass it to releases, but like with that hopping mod... Ugh.

Attachments

• kart0002.gif
    kart0002.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 1,152
all this needs is the characters' karts replaced with dry bones' tank and it'll replicate the accurate ds experience

Kinda like the hopping lua, I'm just like "why though" to a nice and balanced system, but people will enjoy their nostalgia I guess...

Snake? Snake!? SNAAAKE?!
Not sure why anyone would want this in the game except nostalgia honestly, especially if what D00D says is true and heavy characters don't get any counterbalance from it.

Mario Kart DS was actually my first racing game ever so it's nice to have a take back to my kid days. Even though this script just completely throws off the balancing system in vanilla, I can't blame you for making it anyway.

Updated to v1.1!

Releasing an update to address some balancing issues.

Changelog
- Weight now has an effect on drifting. The heavier you are, the quicker you can build up Miniturbos! However, this also makes it so the Miniturbo don't last as long.
- The blue Miniturbo now lasts a bit longer in MKDD Mode.
- MKDD Mode also has a SFX now while charging up the Miniturbo, don't know why I forgot to do it sooner.

Mario Kart DS was actually my first racing game ever so it's nice to have a take back to my kid days. Even though this script just completely throws off the balancing system in vanilla, I can't blame you for making it anyway.
MKDS was also my first mario kart game, and I don't remember it being like that.

Mario Kart DS was always one of my favorite Mario Karts. So seeing the snaking feature added to SRB2 Kart is something that can make even the most hardcore gamers cry. 👍
Post automatically merged:

Also, a little suggestion to improve the nostalgic feel: When the player hits a wall mid-drift, it cancels the drift and you don't get a mini-turbo.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back