SRB2 CONTEST: Calling all texture artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSNTails

What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?
We're experience a severe lack in texture artists, and with the great people around here, I thought this might be something cool to do. The idea is simple, create a texture set for Arid Canyon Zone.

Winners will get something cool, that of which I haven't decided. It will likely be a snail mail-able prize, so you don't have something as invaluable as a bunch of 1s and 0s. A couple ideas of prizes:

*) A special early copy of 1.1 before it goes out to public beta, or maybe even something earlier than that, like a special version only you can play.

*) SRB2 artwork signed by all of STJr.

*) Modern SRB2 soundtrack disc, signed by Jarel Jones. (Providing he's willing to sign it, of which I don't think is going to be a problem).

*) Other unique things I can't think of right now.

I'd like to remind everybody that it IS possible for there to be multiple winners! I may pick graphics a-la carte.

So get started!

Just to be clear, no ripping textures.

The due date is whenever I feel I have enough of what I want.

Make the textures in 24bit, OR use the 1.1 palette. Up to you. Just keep in mind that they WILL be reduced to the 1.1 palette eventually.

JASC Paint Shop Pro palette file for 1.1 here: http://ssntails.sepwich.com/srb2.pal

If you don't have PaintShopPro, the palette is also inside this image:
http://ssntails.sepwich.com/srb20005.png

Textures must be a power of two horizontally, and preferably a power of two vertically as well.

Examples: 64x64, 64x128, 128x128, 256x128, 256x256, 512x256, etc.

I need a sky, too! 1024x1024 will cover the entire space and keep it from wrapping vertically. 1024x512 is okay too.

Send it to me using SendSpace or similar and PM me the link. Please put your MB name in the filename.

These are indicative of the kind of theme I'm going for:

A few things that AREN'T mentioned in the images, is a bunch of wooden structures with ropes and pulleys and things of that nature. The Earthworm Jim 3D shot is really bad.. if you can find the N64 rom and cheat to the Western level, do so, as it has some examples of the ropes/wooden type stuff. Use your imagination!

EarthWormJim3D.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

05.jpg

Not a texture artist? Don't worry, there may be contests for other things in the future!

I'll probably try for this contest. And I like the early 1.1 idea!

EDIT: 64X64 or 128X128, for example.

I might give it a stab. I think I'm getting better, but I haven't tried this theme before.

Alright, I'm liking this! =D I don't really care about the prizes (... ok maybe a liiittle) but I'd really like to put my texturing skills to the test.

Will entries that don't win still be exhibited?

Well, I have 4 textures done. Not very many but I don't really see many different textures in some of the pics. I don't think I'll submit it just yet though.

..crap. Well, so much for square and otherwise orderly designs. ;.;

Also, I'm assuming that this is purely textures, right? I'm almost thinking of doing some really cool things with multiple textures, but I might want a test map to properly demostrate a technique I would want to use the textures with. Is that fair game?

I may have a try as well, since I am quite good at making pictures both on a piece of paper or with Paint.

(By the way, I am Aled The Hedgehog's older brother)

Personally, I'd like the SRB2 Artwork or the Modern SRB2 Music Prizes if I win.

Well, this is going to be teh win. *gets to work and goes on hiatus from any thing social, whether intarwebz, or real life*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back